Timberwolves waive Eddie Griffin

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:30 pm
Eddie Griffin may have ran out of second chances.

The Minnesota Timberwolves waived the talented but troubled forward on Tuesday.

The seventh overall pick in the 2001 draft, Griffin appeared in just 13 games with Minnesota this season, averaging 1.4 points and 1.9 rebounds. His career has been marred numerous times by run-ins with coaches and the law.

"It was time for both parties to move on," Timberwolves vice president Kevin McHale said. "It just didn't work out here in Minnesota. He will be a free agent next year, and we do not have any future financial obligations regarding Eddie's contract."

Griffin, 24, was involved in a car crash last March in which he admitted on a store's security camera that he was drunk. Police on the scene did not administer a field sobriety test or a Breathalyzer.

The Houston Rockets waived Griffin in 2003 after he missed practices and a team flight. He was signed by the New Jersey Nets but missed the entire 2003-04 campaign due to alcohol rehabilitation.

In 2004, he spent 11 days in jail and received 18 months probation for an aggravated assault charge in which he punched and fired a gun at his ex-girlfriend.

The 6-10 Griffin has averaged 7.2 points and 5.8 rebounds in 303 games for Houston and Minnesota

Despite he got in some trouble I think we should sign him he fit well in our system he can step out and shoot the three he can run the floor he can get rebound and hes the tybe of player we need
This is the year
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 pm
I definitely would sign him, he is basically an upgrade over Powell and I could see him getting 7-10 minutes a game rebounding and blocking.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:29 pm
Eddie Griffin is another player like Al Harrington and Baron Davis; he's custon built for a Nelly-style team.

First of all, he's a shot-blocking machine, so Biedrins would get major help inside. He's a better rebounder than Harrington or Powell. Plus, he's an athletic freak who can run and jump with the best of them. Whats more: he can hit from the outside, as well.

Multi-talented players, like Griffin, become excellent role players on Nelson teams. If the Warriors could swing him, I'd love it. The only problem I can see would be pairing him with Stephen Jackson, whose been relatively under-control thus far. We don't want to re-release SJax and lose him to suspension... and that could very well happen by pairing him with another loose cannon.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:30 pm
as long as he focuses on Basketballs,rather than his own,id def give him another chance
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:30 am
Eddie Griffin hasn't showed much as far as rebounding and scoring but he has shown great flashes of what he can be, has a good outside shot (or atleast had last season for some games) and is a super shot blocker! I'd like him on the team and as a matter of fact, if he is signed, it may just turn into the missing link that makes the team a contender. Unlikely yes, but the guy has the skills and has just never shown them and could breakout here =P~

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:30 am
I don't want him. He's been given enough chances and he's screwed them all (in Houston, New Jersey, Minny...). There's a reason why he's constantly waived.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:14 am
TMC wrote:I don't want him. He's been given enough chances and he's screwed them all (in Houston, New Jersey, Minny...). There's a reason why he's constantly waived.

BOO!

Does that have anything to do with his hand and driving coordination

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:29 am
migya wrote:Does that have anything to do with his hand and driving coordination

Maybe. I'm afraid Griffin could be a bad influence on our guys. I just don't want to run any risk of Eddie getting any new jerk-buddies... :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:37 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Does that have anything to do with his hand and driving coordination

Maybe. I'm afraid Griffin could be a bad influence on our guys. I just don't want to run any risk of Eddie getting any new jerk-buddies... :mrgreen:

Well dun is gone so the search would have to begin :mrgreen:
Last edited by migya on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:40 pm
I'd at least give him a shot. We only have 16 games left. We could give him a shot those last games and see if he's worth it. He'd also extend Mully's opinion on who to resign. He has off the court issues, but hey, it's not like he's shot anyone besides his own steering wheel. :wink:

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:54 pm
eddie griffin and stephen jackon yea buddy, cruising down hagenburger with ak's under their seats! dont **** with the dubs!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:25 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:dont **** with the dubs!

We have a motto for the playoffs. :mrgreen:

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:04 am
maybe he will come to play out of USA if he will not get a contract
with some team in the NBA.
who knows,maybe to Maccabi Tel Aviv,maybe but...no way to see it
happen.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:02 pm
Nah, leave him. W's already have enough potential for trouble.

I'll admit that I was one fan wrroied about the problems of SJax coming over in the trade. And I'll be one of the first to say that I am proud that he has been in control of his temper and his life since coming here. And I'm almost even a fan of him now.

But, no need to go out and invite in more potential distractions. I wish the guy well and everything, but now, with the playoffs in sight, is not the time to mess with the team.

Return to Warriors Basketball