Warriors tops in Blocks?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:11 am
What the hell?

So, I was checking out the NBA site, checking on Biedrin's shooting numbers after the last few games, and I come across the team stats. Warriors lead in three categories: Opponent Turnovers, Steals, and Blocked Shots.

How and when did this happen? SIX blocks a game for the team. Almost NINE steals. I see the steals and love every one of them in the game, but where are those blocks coming from? Biedrin gets 1.5, but that leaves a lot to be answered for.

Anyone else surpirsed about this. I mean, W's are almost a good defnsive team by those numbers.

(Of course, W's are the worst rebounders in the league, with a 5 rebound advantage to their opponents.)
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 am
They mentioned this in the Clippers broadcast and I was slightly surprised by it as well. Biedrins carries the load, but Adonal helps too. Couple this with JRich and other adept shot blocking guards and it just all adds up.

The Clippers were second in the league, which I was shocked by as well. Brand is the only shot blocker on the team.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 am
I'm not surprised. The Warriors have majorly kicked up the defense this year.

You'll hear pessimists and Nelly-bashers claiming that those numbers are due to the faster pace of the game... but, in the same breath, they'll claim that opponents' PPG have nothing to do with the pace of the game. :roll:

Golden State's majorly addressed their defensive woes. There is still some work to be done, but its a totally different team from last year, defensively.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:25 am
I'd say the only thing that surprises me are the blocked shots...

well, lemme think about that...

biendris is long and lanky and he'll get his blcoked shots..

pietrus and jrich have their share of dramatic swats...

jackson, long, lanky, good defender...

harrington?? barnes??? ellis???

foyle doesn't get enough minutes...

ya, ok, i'm still surprised...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:10 am
drazz wrote:What the hell?

So, I was checking out the NBA site, checking on Biedrin's shooting numbers after the last few games, and I come across the team stats. Warriors lead in three categories: Opponent Turnovers, Steals, and Blocked Shots.

How and when did this happen? SIX blocks a game for the team. Almost NINE steals. I see the steals and love every one of them in the game, but where are those blocks coming from? Biedrin gets 1.5, but that leaves a lot to be answered for.

Anyone else surpirsed about this. I mean, W's are almost a good defnsive team by those numbers.

(Of course, W's are the worst rebounders in the league, with a 5 rebound advantage to their opponents.)

What that means in this instance is that stats don't mean shiit!

Warriors are 2nd in the nba in scoring at 104.9 a game and WORST in opposition scoring at 107.0 a game!

Great defense :roll:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:45 am
Faster pace, fake stats. If every team were playing at the same pace, stats would mean something...
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:58 am
32 wrote:I'm not surprised. The Warriors have majorly kicked up the defense this year.

You'll hear pessimists and Nelly-bashers claiming that those numbers are due to the faster pace of the game... but, in the same breath, they'll claim that opponents' PPG have nothing to do with the pace of the game. :roll:

Golden State's majorly addressed their defensive woes. There is still some work to be done, but its a totally different team from last year, defensively.

The opponent ppg does have to do with the pace of the game, as do steals and blocks (which we often pay for with fouls or the other team getting easy layups when we go for them). The thing that indicates our bad defense is that we're a horrible defensive team even when adjusted for pace, and allow high field goal % and high 3pt %, and every other measure of defense not afftected by pace. The SUNS have remedied their defensive woes, the warriors are a contender for worst defensive team in the league
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:57 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
32 wrote:I'm not surprised. The Warriors have majorly kicked up the defense this year.

The opponent ppg does have to do with the pace of the game, as do steals and blocks (which we often pay for with fouls or the other team getting easy layups when we go for them). The thing that indicates our bad defense is that we're a horrible defensive team even when adjusted for pace, and allow high field goal % and high 3pt %, and every other measure of defense not afftected by pace. The SUNS have remedied their defensive woes, the warriors are a contender for worst defensive team in the league

I never said the Warriors were a great defensive team, but I sincerly doubt they're among the league's worst. Worst 10? Probably. Worst 3 or 5? I doubt that.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:59 pm
32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

I never said the Warriors were a great defensive team, but I sincerly doubt they're among the league's worst. Worst 10? Probably. Worst 3 or 5? I doubt that.

Yeah, that seems about right. The thing is that we are excellent in some defensive areas and putrid in others.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:58 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Well you're the stat scholar Pest but it is obvious that the team has a long way to go defensively. Problem is, under Nelson no such thing will happen

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:32 am
JayPat wrote:Yeah, that seems about right. The thing is that we are excellent in some defensive areas and putrid in others.

Yeah, I think we're ok on the turnovers we force (haven't checked the stats, but that's the feeling I get from the games... I may be dead wrong, tho), but other than that, we allow to many easy shots. Although on some games we've been pretty decent. Not great, but decent, at least.

I can't wait to watch the Dallas game as, from what I've read, seems like our defense stepped up a notch.

Return to Warriors Basketball