Magic Playoff Number

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Starting Lineup
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:01 am
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:11 pm
I think the Warriors need at least 13 more victories to secure the 8th spot and early playoff exit to the Mavs. We will get a couple of losses to SA and Dallas and probably lose about 4 more games to get a sniff at the playoffs. How many wins the Warriors need to make the playoffs?
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:26 pm
Yeah 13 or 14... including wins against Clips/other teams we're contending with.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:35 pm
yeah, that is about right.... The Clippers hold the 8th seed currently and have 29 wins. Based on their current winning %, that would equate to them winning about 11 more games which gives them 40.

Warriors are sitting at 28 so they need to win 13 to pass them meaning we need to go 13-6 in our remaining 19 games. Of course this is very simplistic and does not take into account there are like 3 other teams ahead of us, strength of schedules, head to head matchups etc.

Bottom line is I think we have to go at least 13-6 and like the previous poster said, have to win the head to head games againt the Clips and the like. Tomorrow's game is VITAL to any playoff hopes.

Rookie
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:41 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:35 pm
13-6 in our remaining 19 games is next to impossible...we have to play alot of tough teams the next 19 games and I dont think the warriors have it in them...I hope they prove me wrong though
Image
PWN3D!
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21449
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:53 am
If you look at it, the team is only 3 games out! Doesn't look like any of the teams from 8th seed to 14th in the West are really going to win alot of their remaining games. That means that if the team goes 50% from now on, they might still make it
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:22 am
Location: Oakland
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:19 am
50% from here on out and into the playoffs?! Come on now, Migya. You're seriously chugging down the crazy kool-aid. The Hornets have gone 16-10 in their last 26, after their early nose-dive. You're telling me they're gonna p like 4 games under.500 the rest of the way? Not gonna happen, pal - that's just pure fantasy. I think the Warriors really need to win 14 games to have a realistic shot, which means 14-5 the rest of the way. 13 might get it done, but I really think the 8 seed at the end will have 41 or 42 wins. We have 4 left against Dallas and San Antonio, and you have to kind of expect/hope for 3 losses from those games. that leaves 2 or 3 other losses scattered throughout. With games left against the Lakers, Utah, Houston, and Phoenix, not to mention other teams vying for a spot like Minny, the Clips, Sacto, and Portland, the Warriors will have to play out of their minds, like the best basketball the club has played in the last 13 years, sown the stretch on order to have a shot. It all starts tomorrow, though. I'm going to the game, and am psyched for sure! I still don't think they'll do it, but it would sure be fun to watch a push!
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21449
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:30 am
baytobrooklyn wrote:50% from here on out and into the playoffs?! Come on now, Migya. You're seriously chugging down the crazy kool-aid. The Hornets have gone 16-10 in their last 26, after their early nose-dive. You're telling me they're gonna p like 4 games under.500 the rest of the way? Not gonna happen, pal - that's just pure fantasy. I think the Warriors really need to win 14 games to have a realistic shot, which means 14-5 the rest of the way. 13 might get it done, but I really think the 8 seed at the end will have 41 or 42 wins. We have 4 left against Dallas and San Antonio, and you have to kind of expect/hope for 3 losses from those games. that leaves 2 or 3 other losses scattered throughout. With games left against the Lakers, Utah, Houston, and Phoenix, not to mention other teams vying for a spot like Minny, the Clips, Sacto, and Portland, the Warriors will have to play out of their minds, like the best basketball the club has played in the last 13 years, sown the stretch on order to have a shot. It all starts tomorrow, though. I'm going to the game, and am psyched for sure! I still don't think they'll do it, but it would sure be fun to watch a push!



Look in the news articles section, broe has posted a nice article that explains how the rest of the West playoff could be teams have tougher schedules, with alot of games against each other by the way, and less home games than away games, while the Warriors have more home games than away games. Only being 2 games back right now, no reason the team can't go ahead of all the teams and even finish 7th. A reach but it is like that for all 6 or 7 teams vying for the last 2 playoff spots
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:51 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:52 am
migya wrote:If you look at it, the team is only 3 games out! Doesn't look like any of the teams from 8th seed to 14th in the West are really going to win alot of their remaining games. That means that if the team goes 50% from now on, they might still make it



I agree with ya migya, I just ran through the remaining schedule...I see the warriors finishing with 39 wins(11-8) but the rest of the west have killer road schedules and I don't see any of them getting to 38 wins. W's just have to take care of business vs. Minni and Sac.
Nothing good comes easily...
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:22 am
Location: Oakland
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:27 pm
Another thing that's being overlooked - the Warriors have 5, yes FIVE, back-to-backs left. We all know how they play on the back end of back-to-backs. That's basically like a guaranteed 4 or 5 losses right there. The first is in a few days, at Portland then at home vs. Dallas. That game in P-town is a must-win, for sure.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:38 pm
I say 13, which also gets me a fine bottle of vodka from Migya since I bet him they would go 14-6 in their last 20. BTW, Migya, if the WS win MORE than 13, that doesn't let you off the hook. :drinking:

Image
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21449
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:55 pm
coltraning wrote:I say 13, which also gets me a fine bottle of vodka from Migya since I bet him they would go 14-6 in their last 20. BTW, Migya, if the WS win MORE than 13, that doesn't let you off the hook. :drinking:

Image



Oh! Now his adding stipulations! :mrgreen:

Anything over the 14 wins for the last 20 games means a bottle of your choice my friend!

Looks like I will be out of the picture because they are 1 out of 1 so far and can only win 3 more for me to win :| Be good if they got 13 out of their last 20 and made the playoffs :wink: :mrgreen:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21449
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:03 pm
baytobrooklyn wrote:Another thing that's being overlooked - the Warriors have 5, yes FIVE, back-to-backs left. We all know how they play on the back end of back-to-backs. That's basically like a guaranteed 4 or 5 losses right there. The first is in a few days, at Portland then at home vs. Dallas. That game in P-town is a must-win, for sure.



The team is fully healthy or close enough and they have to win some of these backend of back to backs oor forget it. Schedule favours the team more than any other playoff contenders right now so no excuses!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:45 pm
Looking at the remaining schedule, the Warriors losing to the Mavs, Spurs, and Jazz are acceptable because they'll only have 6 losses total. They should win those games that are winnable. And I'd think the Warriors can beat those three teams at least once in the two meetings remaining with the three of 'em.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:30 am
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Don't forget that the other teams need some losses too.

And tonight was a nice one for the W's, in terms of other team losses. Both the Nugs (8th seed) and the Lakers (6th seed) lost, and make the playoffs more of a possibility.

Just pull out the game W's!
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:21 pm
Yep. We now own the 9th spot with everyone losing tonight. Denver is tied with the Clips. Tonight was huge. The opportunity was there, everyone they needed loss, two teams vying for the last two spots were facing off, and they seized the opportunity. Jus' gotta take care of the Blazers(who are suprisingly in the hunt) and then on to Dallas.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron