Draft Prospect Opinion

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:21 am
Hey guys. Just registered after just being a "reader" for a couple months. Great forum and for the most part a good group of intelligent and reasonable posters.

Anyway, I am a bit conflicted about how I want the warriors to finish the season as I see several "bigs" that could help us in the top 6 or so of the draft. But I would love for them to make a playoff push as well and create some excitement around here.

Assuming they do continue to play well and finish strong down the stretch, I started looking at "bigs" that could potentially be available in the 10-13 range. I am familiar with most of their games, except this Hasheem Thabeet kid from UConn.

I have not seen UConn play this year so was hoping to get the opinion of him from those of you that have seen him play.

At 7-3, 265 as a freshman, certainly seems like he has the body already to play in the league and scouting report say he moves well for a guy his size, has great hands, quick jumber, and great shot blocker, but raw offensively.

Sounds like a great fit for us as I dont think we need a big with an offensive mindset. We need an intimidator, rebounder, and defender alongside AB.

So, anyone have any thoughts on this kid?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:57 am
First of all, welcome to the board.

About Thabeet, I'd pick him... in the second round. Haven't seen much of him (so I expect any other posters that have seen him to correct my analysis if it's wrong), but other than a decent shot blocker, seems awful at... well, anything else.

He probably would have been a first rounder last year (not lottery, tho), but in this class, the second round sounds about right. Still, his size will probably make someone pick him before the second round.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:19 am
If he's really 7'3", he's going first round. Especially, if he can actually move his feet.

Remember Shawn Bradley? Can't move across the court before the 24 second clock rings, can't jump 4" high, has to have a foot in the paint the whole game, had to wait two years for him to take his Morman mission, but was still a first rounder, and bouced around the league for years.

Anyone who plays/starts at a major (UConn) and is over 7' gets picked in the first round. Its in the NBA handbook.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:20 am
His stock is dropping so hopefully we could pick him up mid-late 1st round. (yes I am implying that the Warriors will make the playoffs)
New. Stuff.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 am
drazz wrote:If he's really 7'3", he's going first round. Especially, if he can actually move his feet.

He probably can. Just not both at the same time. :mrgreen:

But yeah, size alone will make him go first round. He shouldn't, tho. Looks like a long term project (4 years at least) with a high risk of never pan out.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:33 am
TMC, thanks for the welcome.

Couple of scouting reports I have seen:

NBA Comparison: Dikembe Mutombo (stronger body)
Strengths: For his immense size, Thabeet is an above average runner of the court … Does a great job of getting initial post position by using his body wide and sealing off his defender … Has soft hands. Rarely does he bobble passes and catches with few problems no matter the distance or speed of the pass … Shot blocking skills are top shelf … His explosiveness: getting off the floor quickly is mind blowing for a player his size ... Physically he has all the tools needed to continue with his long arms and first-rate timing … Unlike many young players he has learned to be a very patient shot blocker that rarely bites on pump fakes … Has yet to even scratch the surface of his vast potential … Although still learning the game, he doesn’t have a lot of bad habits … Very coachable in that whatever flaws he has in his game can be easily corrected … Shows solid outlet passing ability which is rare for a player with his level of experience … Although his post moves are unrefined, Thabeet has shown reasonably good touch … Above average defensive rebounder … Shows decent upper body strength, which should greatly improve and great athleticism for his size…

Weaknesses: Offensively Thabeet remains raw and undeveloped … Struggles to maintain his position in the post where he tends to get rooted out by smaller players … Although as mentioned above he is an above average runner on the court he still could improve his foot speed … Like many players his age, Thabeet’s post footwork is a work in progress although to his credit it has improved since his breakout Global Games performance … Should continue to learn how to block out more aggressively when working for the offensive rebound … Movements are a bit mechanical but this doesn’t seem to affect his coordination right now … Free throw shooting is below average, however he does show good form and confidence with repetition he should become solid before the season is over … Back to the basket skills are in need of improvement … Not much of a face-up player … Offensive court awareness is evolving but still is a few steps behind. This is evident when he is finishing around the basket as he loses where he is in relation to the basket or rushes his shot …

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accolades: Second Team All-City – Houston – high school (06).

Scouting Report: An intimidating, yet inexperienced, giant.

Strengths: Shot blocking – Thabeet changes the game due to his swatting abilities – got 10 blocks in a game early in his freshman year. Good rebounder. Good body. Can run the floor well for his size. Is playing in one of the top college programs in developing NBA talent.

Weaknesses: Very inexperienced – only started playing basketball a few years ago. Still a little clumsy – drops passes, throws balls away. Poor free throw shooter. Offensive game is still very raw and underdeveloped.

Projected 2007 Draft Range: Top 15 pick in 2007 or Top 5 pick 2008.

Consensus: If Thabeet enters the draft this year, he will no doubt be a defensive presence his first year in the NBA. His offensive game, though, will need lots of work. Still, despite his inexperience, with his size and skill level his potential is off the charts.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:39 am
main issue if scouting reports are accurate is Nelly does not seem to do so well with big man "projects" or ANY projects for that matter. Does not seem to have a lot of patience for young, inexperienced players. Probably would be a d-leauge guy and we could really use help NOW.

I personally am not high on POB at all. I was extremelly disappointed in that selection. This is why I am conflicted since I would love to see us be able to draft a more ready prospect like Horford.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:40 am
Arrrgh. Another nbadraft.net review... That site is just terrible. I like http://www.draftexpress.com/ much more. Seems a lot more accurate on their reviews.

It may only be personal preference, tho.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:05 pm
thanks for the alternative site TMC. I have never been to nbadraft.net before today so know nothing about their accuracy or reliability as far as scouting reports go.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:30 pm
I don't understand why people areso into getting another 7 footer. We already have a very able and improving center in Ab, a more than capable backup in Foyle, and a project in POB. We don't need another huge guy. We need an athletic true PF who can grab boards and play D.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:34 pm
baytobrooklyn wrote:I don't understand why people areso into getting another 7 footer. We already have a very able and improving center in Ab, a more than capable backup in Foyle, and a project in POB. We don't need another huge guy. We need an athletic true PF who can grab boards and play D.

bay, totally agree. However, I was just looking at if we are pickign in the 10-14 range and does not look like alot of those types will be there at that range, but there are a couple C type prospects that might fit the bill of a defensive, intimidating presence inside. Like a guy like Hibbert from G'Town.

I would love a PF, but I think we need to be in the top 7 or so to get one that fits our needs unless we take a flyer on a guy like Tiaggo Splitter who would probably be there late lottery.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:05 pm
Yeah, don't really look at NBADraft.net, I wrote a draft message for them and they actually posted it on their site. So must be no good.
New. Stuff.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:21 pm
I would kill myself if the warriors picked thabeet. The guy is another fricken project. Im really getting tired of big man projects that NEVER PAN OUT! Look at o'bryant... does anyone actually think this guy is gonna be good? He had to go to the d-league for christ sakes! There is now way he is going to improve that much especially because he is not very athletic. NO MORE PROJECTS!
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:50 pm
Yeah, it seems like this Yi guy is a project too, I vote pass on him as well.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:02 am
drazz wrote:If he's really 7'3", he's going first round. Especially, if he can actually move his feet.

Remember Shawn Bradley? Can't move across the court before the 24 second clock rings, can't jump 4" high, has to have a foot in the paint the whole game, had to wait two years for him to take his Morman mission, but was still a first rounder, and bouced around the league for years.

Anyone who plays/starts at a major (UConn) and is over 7' gets picked in the first round. Its in the NBA handbook.

Well said and some team will likely get him but the Warriors have no need for him so no need to WASTE a 1st round pick on him!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball