The Future of the Warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:58 pm
This playoff drought must end, and it must end soon. You're looking at a team that, in the last 6 years, have had 7 lottery picks (Richardson, Murphy, Dunleavy, Pietrus, Biedrins, Diogu, and O'Bryant) yet they still can't make noise in the West. Poor drafting has been a nightmare for this team and I'm hoping the trend doesn't continue this summer. The late lottery is always a toss up as teams are looking for the best available players or looking to fill needs which is exactly what the Warriors have been doing. What they need to do is throw away that conventional way of thinking and take a gamble. It can't be any worse than Dunleavy, Murphy, or Diogu who aren't even on the team anymore. If the Warriors have a strong finish like year's past, then they'll be looking at a pick somewhere in the teens (13-16) and that could be just the place to take that gamble. Here are some choices:

1. Thaddeus Young - His stock has been dropping and he could fall right into the Warriors hands. Has a chance to be a Shawn Marion type small forward with this defense and athleticism. Has good handles but lacks offense. In Nellie's fast past game plan, that may not be a huge issue right away. This pick may payoff in a year or 2.

2. Acie Law - Everyone is so hung up on Ellis, but Law is a better shooter than Ellis. Monta would have the edge in athleticism and quickness (not by much), but they are both very similar players. 6'3 combo guards with a scoring mentality and could do it in many ways. If the W's can get this guy, then it maybe possible to ship Monta out with a bad Foyle contract to a team for a good young big man. Perhaps for Gooden and D. Jones in Cleveland. Gooden is a guy that can rebound, block shots, and can move Harrington to the 3. Davis, Richardson, Harrington, Gooden, and Biedrins would give them the rebounding they need and would also add athleticism as Gooden can get up and down the floor well for a 6'10 big man.

3. Trade the pick for an upcoming player. Many around the league believe that Monta COULD be the next Arenas. I, however, don't share that sentiment, but the Warriors can take advantage of that. Atlanta have a potential franchise player in Marvin Williams, who is a true small forward and have Shelden Williams who is a 4. I would move the pick along with Monta for Josh Smith. Monta serves a bigger need in Atlanta than Josh Smith. Ellis, Johnson, Williams, Shelden, and Pachulia would make a nice line up in the East and they get the first round pick. Imagine Baron, Jason, Josh, Harrington, and Biedrins. Would be a super line up and they would still have a 2nd rounder to fool around with to get a nice rounded big man like Avis Wyatt out of Virgina State. This would be my ideal choice in scenarios.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:32 pm
Mullin won't trade the pick unless its a good deal. If there's one thing Mullin can do, it's draft well.

And why trade a budding star like Ellis for a guy whose rewards is higher... but's so's his risk. Josh Smith is still EXTREMELY spotty, whereas Monta is not. Right now, Smith looks destined to be an Antoine Walker, Al Harrington, Antawn Jamison sort of guy... he'll be a great 2nd or 3rd option, but he's far too inconsistent to be a franchise.

People who are talking about trading Ellis or Biedrins have me confused. Do you guys not realize that they're only getting better??? Monta could potentially be a 30 PPG scorer in 3 or 4 years.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:45 pm
I don't understand why anyone would want to trade Monta or AB unless we are getting back a bonafide star. They're both young, getting better every year (it's easy to forget they're both like 20 or 21 years old as we've come to expect greatness from them - that's how you know they're special), plus they're DIRT CHEAP right now. Number one priority should be keeping and signing both these guys.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:49 pm
1. I would have no problem drafting Thaddeus Young at the 12th-14th position. Ideally the W's need a 6'10, strong, athletic, rebounding PF to sure up the inside but Thaddeus is too good to pass on at that point.

2. I dunno, Acie Law is good but I don't see him in the same you light as you do. I think he will be a good player in this draft, and most likely the best PG of the whole class, but I don't think he would be a replacement for Ellis. Also he is technically older than Ellis, so it wouln't say much as far as potential. Not to mention Ellis has an out of world upside and is already dropping 17 a game on Pro opponents.

3. I am clearly higher on Monta than you are but I wouldn't be 100% against shipping him. I would, however, be 100% against shipping him for Josh Smith. I would only move Monta for a legit superstar or superstar to-be, neither of which Josh Smith is. 32's take on Josh Smith is about where I stand in terms of what he can be. Obviously he can have a much higher impact on the defensive end that those guys but his offense will never be at their level either.

I wouldn't trade the pick this year. Here is my big board for the Warriors as of now:

Oden
Durant
B. Wright
Horford/Jianlian (I have them even)
J. Wright
Thabeet/Hawes (I have them even)
Young
Williams
Splitter

If we can get any of these guys with our pick I would be pleased. That is 11 deep and I left off Noah (who will be taken early by a foolish team) and Green and Thornton (they'll be okay but the W's already have an Al Harrington). Those three guys will be taken in the top 14. So as long as the Warriors don't make the playoffs they should get a quality player. If they do make the playoffs they won't have a sure fire shot at these guys )although several could easily slip) but, and more importantly, Warrior nation can show their face outside again . . . and I'm all for that.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:51 pm
Never said I wanted to trade AB and Monta. Unless we get a Dwight Howard or LeBron James in return, I do not want those two leaving. I like AB, I don't think I could last as a Warrior fan if he departed to another squad. And until they start asking for an NBA styled contract, I say keep them.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:06 pm
Dude, this guy's a Hawks fan.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:44 pm
I hope Acie Law drops so we could pick him up in the 17th spot. You guys maybe talking about the lottery but I'm getting ready for my playoff tickets.
New. Stuff.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:25 am
This guy really wants Monta Ellis to play for the Hawks. it makes sense because they have Tyronn Lue and Speedy Claxton stinking it up.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:41 am
Yeah. Too bad for Speedy, 'cause he does well in a backup role.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:34 am
Thunder wrote:I wouldn't trade the pick this year. Here is my big board for the Warriors as of now:

Oden
Durant
B. Wright
Horford/Jianlian (I have them even)
J. Wright
Thabeet/Hawes (I have them even)
Young
Williams
Splitter

Not bad... althogh there are some guys there I wouldn't pick in the lottery (Thabeet or Hawes). I agree about not trading the pick, tho. This is not the year to do so.

Mine would be something like this:

Oden
Durant
B. Wright
Horford
Thornton
J. Wright
Brewer
Splitter
Acie Law
Alando Tucker / Marcus Williams

Yi is too risky right now. I still think he can be a decent starter... or a big time bust. Great stats in China mean nothing for the NBA game. Right now I'm leaning towards the bust option...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:30 am
I like Josh Smith and believe that he will continue his improvement, as he has every season, but will become an allstar within two seasons. His defense and rebounding is what makes him so special, that and the fact that he can score in many different ways (including threes) and can pass. That being said, I wouldn't trade Monta for him! Not unless it is Monta and Foyle for JSmith, the Hawks lottery pick in this draft and the next season's draft. This is because the Hawks, even with Monta, would not be a playoff team as their frontline, without JSmith, is quite disgraceful, as is their bench.

If Monta was to be trade though, there would be better trades than this, like going for Gasol with Monta and another player, like Harrington

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:38 am
Most importantly is if we can get those two players to sign. It will definitely be easier for us to get biedrins back. But monta, with his rising capabilities could easily leave the warriors. Until baron is gone, monta will just be the 6th man on the team. Of course, if monta doesnt mind being the 6th man and just getting paid then ok. But im sure if he has the opportunity to be either the #1 or #2 option for a team he would take that opportunity. I would only hope that he would stay with the warriors but hey who knows what may happen. I was pissed when the warriors didnt do a little more to keep arenas, look at him now. Lets hope we dont make the same mistake with this also 2nd round pick. In recent years, when you think of 2nd round steals, you mainly think of Redd and Arenas, hopefully Ellis will be one of everyones first thoughts in the NBA
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:38 am
migya wrote:. . .That being said, I wouldn't trade Monta for him! Not unless it is Monta and Foyle for JSmith, the Hawks lottery pick in this draft and the next season's draft. . .

What's sad about that is that the Hawks don't own either of those picks. They both go to the soon-to-be-dynasty of the Suns as part of the Joe Johnson deal. The Warriors might make the playoffs this year and going forward, but we might not even have a shot at winning the division for the next decade thanks to the genius moves of Atlanta's front office.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:42 am
Thunder wrote:What's sad about that is that the Hawks don't own either of those picks. They both go to the soon-to-be-dynasty of the Suns as part of the Joe Johnson deal.

Yep. Top 3 protected. If Atlanta picks below that, the pick goes to Phoenix.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:31 pm
Josh smith is still on his rookie contract so you cant get him unless u do a 2-3 player trade...Even if this did happen the warriors would have to give up monta ellis. WE DONT WANT TO GIVE HIM UP! Warriors should look to trade sarunas. he is a good player but his useless to golden state. We should trade Sarunas, Powell, pick for a back up center/power foward who can rebound and block shots...powell coming off the bench is embarrassing... this would take all the pressure off biedrins. warriors DONT need a new strarting bigman we need a backup big man.
PWN3D!
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball