Harrington

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:02 pm
David Wood wrote:
migya wrote:
David Wood wrote:Al really manned up against the Pistons. He was getting tough and physical inside and he was hustling for loose balls.

Be good if he did that all the time. He is paid more than most players on the team and will be a hinderance for the team to move forward as he is a good player but just doesn't fit the need of the team. If the PF isn't helping out the Center rebound, who will? This team is built for speed and more than just Biedrins need to rebound and defend. If there was just one more big that could do that, with the rest of the guys scoring well, this team would be much better but the story is always the same - Fall just short every season

Exactly. Harrington has to do his part, but people also need to pay attention and box out when they can. We know he can run the floor, but it seems like he wants to run out as soon as a shot is fired. The problem is he can't play small forward. That would be a step backward as he just is not quick enough and we already have 5 Sf's. He's a fluid athlete but he cannot hang with the likes of Lebron, Melo, Andre Iguodala or Vince Carter.

Harrington can play, noone has really said he can't, but he is not what the team needs at PF - That's the whole point! Murphy and dun really couldn't play so Harrington is better than either one no doubt but that is not the point!

I really wanted Pietrus to improve this season because he is the sirt of player that could have become a great defender, getting to guard the best guard or SF of the opposition. He is not the sort that should be shoting alot and under Nelson, it has seems like he has understood that. He could have become a very good rebounder as well. Thing is, NONE of that has happened enough for him to be a keeper, let alone be considered a great role player. Maybe Barnes can become that player but that has yet to be seen.

I reckon Varejao would be a better fit than Harrington, giving the team what it needs more. Obviously he is lacking in scoring but like I've said, there are enough scorers on the team and not enough workers!

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:58 am
dareedle wrote:You are right, Al is no Murphy, Murphy gets more rebounds and is an equally lousy defender. Any GM would take a much cheaper David Lee over Al Harrington and his bad shooting, bad free throw and inconsistent rebounding for a forward. We played a lousy Detroit squad who are vulnerable and average without Rasheed in the lineup and our shots went in (always a 50/50 proposition). Besides grabbing a couple more boards than normal Al didn't win the game, the high shooting percentage of the fan fav three (Biedrins, Ellis and Barnes) is what saved the day. Why should we celebrate the 21 for 47 brick display of our big scorers when we should wonder why did Biedrins only get 6 shots?

Come on now. Al delivered an absolutely kick-ass game.

7-16 (44%), 10 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks and 1 to.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:00 am
cladden wrote:
dareedle wrote:You are right, Al is no Murphy, Murphy gets more rebounds and is an equally lousy defender. Any GM would take a much cheaper David Lee over Al Harrington and his bad shooting, bad free throw and inconsistent rebounding for a forward. We played a lousy Detroit squad who are vulnerable and average without Rasheed in the lineup and our shots went in (always a 50/50 proposition). Besides grabbing a couple more boards than normal Al didn't win the game, the high shooting percentage of the fan fav three (Biedrins, Ellis and Barnes) is what saved the day. Why should we celebrate the 21 for 47 brick display of our big scorers when we should wonder why did Biedrins only get 6 shots?

Come on now. Al delivered an absolutely kick-ass game.

7-16 (44%), 10 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks and 1 to.

He had a great game but he doesn't do that every game now does he and he gets scored on just as much as he scores, though this game he apparently played good defense. He is very inconsistent but does produce as I said before. He just is not a real PF

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:16 am
drazz wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Read 'em and weep - he has outperformed his opponent at almost every facet of the game
http://www.82games.com/0607/06GSW17C.HTM

actually, mig, as pest posted above, harrington outcores and performs his opposition...check it out
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:40 am
coltraning wrote:
drazz wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Read 'em and weep - he has outperformed his opponent at almost every facet of the game
http://www.82games.com/0607/06GSW17C.HTM

actually, mig, as pest posted above, harrington outcores and performs his opposition...check it out

Those stats didn't show much but I did notice that the opposition to Harrington outrebounds him by a fair bit. Stats don't tell the story with Harrington, he just doesn't make the team win much more and hasn't done so his entire career for his teams

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:38 am
I'm getting seriously pissed off with this "lets blame al" bullshit. Al is rebounding better than Dunleavy could on his best day and better than murph had been this year. He's also scoring at a decent clip (in other words, better than dunleavy). To blame this teams woes on one player is ridiculous but it seems thats what people love to do here. He is the new Dunleavy, everyones favourite whipping boy. The only thing I can fault with him is that he isn't the best finisher at times....but we have plenty of those. As for the rebounds.....he may not be a great rebounding PF but on this team it shouldn't matter. Not if they play the style of play they're supposed to without letting the opposition dictate terms.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:46 am
This is where migya creates silly photoshopped pic's of Harrington for his avatar :roll:

Al fit right into place with the full strength squad & this is just the first game all together, migya did you even see the game :?:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:14 am
O.G. Broe wrote:This is where migya creates silly photoshopped pic's of Harrington for his avatar :roll:

Al fit right into place with the full strength squad & this is just the first game all together, migya did you even see the game :?:

Better a pic of Harrington than your arse!

No, but I have seen a few games with him on the team and it is as everyone else around here says - He is not a real PF and his defense is shiit!

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:24 am
To stall the arguement a touch, the opening post wanted to know WHY people are unhappy. Mig and I have come out and said our reasons.

He's not my choice at PF, but its not like we have anyone else. His numbers are pretty solid, his rebounds are better than I originally thought, but he's just not the kind of PF I'd like to see.

The TEAM has PERFORMED worse after the trade. NO, I DO NOT BLAME HARRINGTON. But, the truth is the W's have won less with him in the lineup.

The game last night gives me hope. If that's the starting lineup, and that's how they are going to play EVERY DAY, then I'll be content for a while.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:02 am
I think everyone has made valid points. One of the reasons why I don't think harrington is all that grat because he gives the appearance of being soft at a "tough guy" position. The is no power to this guy that is playing power forward. His rebound numbers may look OK but if you watch how he play the game, his rebounds appear to be of the "soft" and "long" rebound types. I feel that his future is actually at small forward. He handles the ball well, has a good outside shot, and he runs the court great.

This is the first time I (and most of us) have seen him play extensively. I thought this guy was a true power forward and I guess that"s why I was disappointed. Now that I know that is not his game I will be less critical of his play.

By the way, I thought he played an excellent game against Detroit. He actually held his own against a powerful guy like McDyess. Way to go Al! :D

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:12 am
Reason why he gets boo'd at the oracle is mostly because 80% of the "fans" just started going to basketball games when Davis came and because they are 100% ignorant about basketball.
New. Stuff.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:23 am
breezer_79 wrote:I'm getting seriously pissed off with this "lets blame al" bullshit. Al is rebounding better than Dunleavy could on his best day and better than murph had been this year. He's also scoring at a decent clip (in other words, better than dunleavy). To blame this teams woes on one player is ridiculous but it seems thats what people love to do here. He is the new Dunleavy, everyones favourite whipping boy. The only thing I can fault with him is that he isn't the best finisher at times....but we have plenty of those. As for the rebounds.....he may not be a great rebounding PF but on this team it shouldn't matter. Not if they play the style of play they're supposed to without letting the opposition dictate terms.

yup, you got it, breezer. The #s incontrovertibly show him outperforming his opposition, and if you watch the games regularly, he is a fine player. It's kind of like 2=2 =4, and the response is, that's your opinion. It is a faith-based argument, really. Like I said, he's not a superstar, but certainly gives you 17-20 a night and the occasional 25-30 point game. If he is your #3 guy (which he will be after Jason and baron) I think he is a great upgrade.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:32 pm
drazz wrote:To stall the arguement a touch, the opening post wanted to know WHY people are unhappy. Mig and I have come out and said our reasons.

He's not my choice at PF, but its not like we have anyone else. His numbers are pretty solid, his rebounds are better than I originally thought, but he's just not the kind of PF I'd like to see.

The TEAM has PERFORMED worse after the trade. NO, I DO NOT BLAME HARRINGTON. But, the truth is the W's have won less with him in the lineup.

The game last night gives me hope. If that's the starting lineup, and that's how they are going to play EVERY DAY, then I'll be content for a while.

the truth is that the W's have won less without BD in the lineup...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:05 am
coltraning wrote:If he is your #3 guy (which he will be after Jason and baron) I think he is a great upgrade.

But not at PF! If he could play SF well, producing similar to what he does at PF, he would be alright but the team will never win alot with him at PF

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:45 am
oh come on! Have you forgotten who we were playing at PF before Harrington?? Thats right.....Dunleavy and Murph. Harrington is the right fit at PF for this team. We are small, and fast.....hence no D and plenty of offense (when we make our shots). This is Nellie ball guys. If you don't like the way the teams going either 1. Blame Nelly or 2. Blame the key injuries to the team at inoportune times. I'm sure Harrington COULD play SF, but he'd get burnt just as bad on the Defensive end as he does now and to be honest....on this team, theres just no need (and no space) for him to play that spot.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball