Harrington

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:09 pm
What's up with this guy that people don't like? He's scoring 18.5 PPG which is solid at worst, he's not a terrible rebounder, he's getting 7 a game, he's averaging 1.2 steals since he's gotten here, and he has a 45% FG with a 41% from three. Although his free throws are down at 62%, he can getting better as he averaged 71% in Indy and has averaged 80% before. And we traded him for Murphleavy.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:32 pm
JayPat wrote:What's up with this guy that people don't like? He's scoring 18.5 PPG which is solid at worst, he's not a terrible rebounder, he's getting 7 a game, he's averaging 1.2 steals since he's gotten here, and he has a 45% FG with a 41% from three. Although his free throws are down at 62%, he can getting better as he averaged 71% in Indy and has averaged 80% before. And we traded him for Murphleavy.

we have warrior 'fans' who aren't capable of being satisfied...

just chalk it up to not really knowing the game...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:38 pm
You know, the problem is that in some games he'll grab 10 boards, and in others he'll get 1. Which makes it look less than he really gets.

But, still, he's far from being a good rebounder. If the opponent is a good rebounding team, he'll get 4.

Just trying to explain why people are a bit disappointed.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:54 pm
TMC wrote:But, still, he's far from being a good rebounder. If the opponent is a good rebounding team, he'll get 4.

Not true. Vs the Cavs (who have good rebounders), he got 8 and 12. Vs the Clips he got 7, vs Charlotte/Emeka Okafor he grabbed 8, vs Indy which is an excellent rebounding team he grabbed 10, vs the Knicks he grabbed 9 and 8, vs Denvery he got 8.

Also, in the 20 games he's played he's gotten below 5 rebounds only 4 times. I'm not even saying he's a great rebounder, but it's definitely not a weakness. The only pitiful rebounding performance he's put up was the 1 rebound vs. the Nets in which he obviously contributed in other ways.

Which leads me to my next point. He'll always contribute in at least one way, even if he's struggling in something else.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:04 pm
Yeah, but he also got 4 against the Bulls (a much better rebounding team than any of those), 5 against Milwaukee and the Lakers (1 against the Lakers when we played at the Staples), 3 against Atlanta and against the Bobcats in Charlotte...

You know, he'd be more appreciated if he were able to get 7 per game than 3 one game and 9 the next.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:19 pm
He's not that inconsistent. He's gotten 7 or more 12 in the last 20 games. And like I said, he's only had 4 games where he got below 5.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:27 pm
I'm with JayPat on this. Harrington has his ups and downs (much like every other player on this team, with the exception of maybe Monta) but the teams woeful performances of late seem to have made him the perrenial whipping boy. Whats not to like? he is an upgrade over what we had and his numbers alone pretty much make up for the loss of both dun and murph. People seem to forget that murphy wasn't rebounding this season and dun was ridiculously inconsistent. I honestly don't understand the attitude towards harrington, especially when Jacksons decision making and inconsistency has been much worse than harringtons. Nothing against Jackson either, I think he was also a good pick up. I dunno guys I'm just hungover this morning and finding it hard to make sense of alot of things. Guess we can just add this to the list.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:51 pm
My thing with Harrington is that he hasn't made the team win more. He has good numbers and the guy has skill but it is the fact that this team hasn't won for so long and has gotten players that do not really make the team win. Harrington's lack of defense is also a big thing and that is why I rate SJackson slightly better than Harrington. Harrington would probably be better as the teams's SF with a trade or the draft pick getting a very god PF.

I personally don't think the guys is that bad and I am very happy that he was obtained through trading dun and Murphy, so a step up but it is just the fact that he has not made the team much better that makes me not like him too much

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:57 pm
You know, I always root for Al because 1.) I want him to give the team a better chance to win. 2.) It gets people off his back.

But having said that, yes, there are things I don’t like about Harrington. The scoring and rebounding has been covered—and I happen to think he’s a decent rebounder, but he’s also capable of much more. This is where I’m disappointed. Also on defense and rotation, I think he can also do better. So, bottom line, he’s spotty on his efforts in rebounding and D.

On FTs, he seems to miss the first one all the time, and makes the second one. I’d like to see this corrected as well.

Again, I always want him to do well :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:14 pm
btw, I ran the numbers and found out that Harrington is significantly more consistent than Murphy on rebounding since the trade. Not that that's saying much, as they both have a very high sDev
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:05 pm
CjR wrote:You know, I always root for Al because 1.) I want him to give the team a better chance to win. 2.) It gets people off his back.

But having said that, yes, there are things I don’t like about Harrington. The scoring and rebounding has been covered—and I happen to think he’s a decent rebounder, but he’s also capable of much more. This is where I’m disappointed. Also on defense and rotation, I think he can also do better. So, bottom line, he’s spotty on his efforts in rebounding and D.

On FTs, he seems to miss the first one all the time, and makes the second one. I’d like to see this corrected as well.

Again, I always want him to do well :wink:

I always want everyone on the team to do well (except now as losing wil get a better draft position)

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 pm
I'll take this on and show my personal reasons.

First, Harrington, for the better part of the last year, has been hyped as the savior of the W's. Like, he literally carried the 6th seed in an artificial womb implanted in him. But, he hasn't delivered that baby, and it certainly does not look like he's even pregnant with an 8th seed.

Now, this is a team sport, but he was supposed to be 'the last piece,' as Mullin and Nellie have said. And since the trade, our win % is lower than before. I'm happy to dump DunMurph and their inflated salaries, and Harrinton and SJax should provide more in all aspects of the game, but it hasn;t shown yet.

Second, I hate rating by stats. Harrinton, in a fantasy NBA world is a good, though streaky, player. He averages good points and fair rebounds; but that comes from a combination of great games and poor games.

But, those stats don't show the problem--he's overmatched as a PF. I don't have the number of his opponents, but I can;t imagine he has stopped a single PF of talent. Duncan, Brand, Garnett, Diaw--these are the guys s he called on the defend, and there is no way he can compare.

As was stated, if he was a SF, and we had a defending, rebounding PF, I'd love him. As our 'post playing' PF, not impressed.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 pm
drazz wrote:But, those stats don't show the problem--he's overmatched as a PF. I don't have the number of his opponents, but I can;t imagine he has stopped a single PF of talent. Duncan, Brand, Garnett, Diaw--these are the guys s he called on the defend, and there is no way he can compare.

Read 'em and weep - he has outperformed his opponent at almost every facet of the game
http://www.82games.com/0607/06GSW17C.HTM
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:16 am
breezer_79 wrote:I'm with JayPat on this. Harrington has his ups and downs (much like every other player on this team, with the exception of maybe Monta) but the teams woeful performances of late seem to have made him the perrenial whipping boy. Whats not to like? he is an upgrade over what we had and his numbers alone pretty much make up for the loss of both dun and murph. People seem to forget that murphy wasn't rebounding this season and dun was ridiculously inconsistent. I honestly don't understand the attitude towards harrington, especially when Jacksons decision making and inconsistency has been much worse than harringtons. Nothing against Jackson either, I think he was also a good pick up. I dunno guys I'm just hungover this morning and finding it hard to make sense of alot of things. Guess we can just add this to the list.

Don't tell me. I'm just playing devil's advocate, trying to explain why some people don't really like him.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with him. After all, we got him for Mike-freaking-Dunleavy...
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:40 am
not gonna make a judgement on him till hes had a preseason with the team.And TMC has a very valid point....."we got him for Mike-freaking-Dunleavy..."
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball