If the entire team were healthy....

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:53 pm
JayPat wrote:Well we should be better w/ the new guys and as long as Baron doesn't get seriuosly hurt we should make it.

Don't bet on it! They won one game but they will get back to losing soon. They were not even a 50% team before the trade and with Baron.

If the team makes the playoffs then great but if they don't (likely), it's better to go for that higher draft pick

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:05 pm
migya wrote:
JayPat wrote:Well we should be better w/ the new guys and as long as Baron doesn't get seriuosly hurt we should make it.

Don't bet on it! They won one game but they will get back to losing soon. They were not even a 50% team before the trade and with Baron.

If the team makes the playoffs then great but if they don't (likely), it's better to go for that higher draft pick

Oops, I wasn't referring to this year. Next year, we'll make it.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:08 pm
JayPat wrote:
migya wrote:

That's what was said in the offseason and it didn't happen. It has been the same story and I have to see to believe it

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:58 pm
migya wrote:
JayPat wrote:
migya wrote:

That's what was said in the offseason and it didn't happen. It has been the same story and I have to see to believe it

That's fair, but I do think we are a better team with this trade and will make the playoffs next year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:23 pm
JayPat wrote:
migya wrote:
JayPat wrote:
migya wrote:

That's fair, but I do think we are a better team with this trade and will make the playoffs next year.

With a better PF we will not only make the playoffs but have a chance of winning a series

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:42 pm
My starting lineup right now is BD, Jrich, sjax, al, and AB. My starting lineup for the next 3 years hopefully will be Baron, Monta, Jrich, Al and AB.

I don't know why people are saying J-rich shouldnt be a SF. He is BETTER at SF. Think about it, he is more overmatched trying to guard a quick 2, than a strong 3. His length isn't all that great, but he can leap and even be a shotblocker. He just really isn't that quick laterally, and he gets beaten off the dribble by faster players regularly. Put him at 3, and he is able to at least stay with his man and has enough hops and toughness to challenge his shot.

On the offensive side he doesn't quite have the quickness and handles to blow other guards off the dribble, he does however have enough to score on small forwards almost at will. They will have to sag off him a little, giving him room for his signature step-back. Also coming off screens, he will be able to get right to the elbow and shoot his favorite catch-and-shoot turnaround. The less dependent we are on him to handle the ball the more lethal he is. The other advantage of having him play the 3? REBOUNDING

As for Monta, no way should we make him our true point guard. He moves too well without the ball and has too much of a knack for leaking out to be handling the ball all the time. Set him up on the wing, let him fake right, drive left and pull up for that elbow jumper all day. With Baron on the team, the two are interchangable. It doesn't even make sense really to define one as the true PG. As the situation dictates, they can have either one take the ball downcourt. Imagine teams having to zero in to stop Davis at the top of the circle, which is hard enough, but then also having to account for demons J-Rich and Monta cutting to the hole, and if thats not enough, you got a 45% 3pt shooting power forward to deal with as well.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:10 pm
David Wood wrote:My starting lineup right now is BD, Jrich, sjax, al, and AB. My starting lineup for the next 3 years hopefully will be Baron, Monta, Jrich, Al and AB.

For this season, that lineup is the way to go but not past this season. Harrington should not be part of the lineup for the future, unless he can adapt to playing SF real well and add a little more defense. Just better to get a more POWER forward that complements the guards

David Wood wrote:I don't know why people are saying J-rich shouldnt be a SF. He is BETTER at SF. Think about it, he is more overmatched trying to guard a quick 2, than a strong 3. His length isn't all that great, but he can leap and even be a shotblocker. He just really isn't that quick laterally, and he gets beaten off the dribble by faster players regularly. Put him at 3, and he is able to at least stay with his man and has enough hops and toughness to challenge his shot.

On the offensive side he doesn't quite have the quickness and handles to blow other guards off the dribble, he does however have enough to score on small forwards almost at will. They will have to sag off him a little, giving him room for his signature step-back. Also coming off screens, he will be able to get right to the elbow and shoot his favorite catch-and-shoot turnaround. The less dependent we are on him to handle the ball the more lethal he is. The other advantage of having him play the 3? REBOUNDING

JRich is a SG and he has been great so far in his career as one! He should not be taken out of position. Last season showed what JRich can be as a SG. JRich improved much over his first 4 years and those weaknesses that you mentioned are not to be seen as reasons for making him a SF but just things he needs to work on, as he did his shooting from his rookie season. JRich just needs to keep on keeping on, improving his quickness and handles because he is already a top 10 SG and with improvments in those two things, as well as wanting to play better defense, he will be a superstar!

David Wood wrote:As for Monta, no way should we make him our true point guard. He moves too well without the ball and has too much of a knack for leaking out to be handling the ball all the time. Set him up on the wing, let him fake right, drive left and pull up for that elbow jumper all day. With Baron on the team, the two are interchangable. It doesn't even make sense really to define one as the true PG. As the situation dictates, they can have either one take the ball downcourt. Imagine teams having to zero in to stop Davis at the top of the circle, which is hard enough, but then also having to account for demons J-Rich and Monta cutting to the hole, and if thats not enough, you got a 45% 3pt shooting power forward to deal with as well.

Baron is great and has done well for the team, especially this season but he is injuryprone and a bit overpriced. Monta is the answer at PG OR a guy like Brevin Knight or Earl Watson, two guys I like alot and who could be the starting PG, could be attained for not very much. Monta is a combo guard who, as you said, is great off the ball but lately he has shown some pretty good PG skills and those should only improve, as well as everything else he does. JRich is the keeper and Baron is the expendable one and Monta can play half the time as PG, as I mentioned

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:24 am
David Wood wrote:I don't know why people are saying J-rich shouldnt be a SF.

Nellie himself said that. I kinda think he could work at SF, except on certain matchups (he'd have trouble having to play against Rashard Lewis, for example).

btw, my lineup would be:

1.- Baron
2.- J-Rich
3.- S-Jax
4.- Harrington
5.- Biedrins

6th.- Monta.

I really like having Monta coming from the bench. That's not to say he shouldn't play lots of minutes... he still should average 30-35 min per game.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:21 am
JRich is just too small to be full time SF. He would have a tough time defensively against much bigger players and that would take away from his natural ability as a guard

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:10 am
I would love to see Az get and opportunity to compete for a starting job. However, the reality of the situation is that we will probably never get looked at equally because he will be always considered as an undrafted, D-League player. There is no way a GM is going to let a D-Leaguer start before one of his draft picks. It's unfair, but that's the way it is. Monry talks. :(

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:26 pm
migya wrote:

So it looks like we're damned if we do and damned if we don't (tank).

If we go for the playoffs, we have to string a streak that looks like 5wins-1loss-5wins-2losses-5wins, etc to make it. Or we can always try to go undefeated in April. :mrgreen: If we don't make it, we lose out in the draft.

Assuming we lose every one of our last games, we get maybe 5th pick if the balls bounce our way?

Yay! we can be slightly less than mediocre or slightly more than mediocre!
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:10 pm
We will not benefit by tanking unless we can pick up Durant or Oden. Everyone else is a Dunleavy Junior crap shoot. We already have one solid big (PF/C) Biedrins so we only need one more competent big in the mold of Haslem, PJ Brown, David Lee, Matrix, Haywood, Areujua. It is very possible of picking up a true point guard like DJ Agustin even if we make a late season push. Asssuming Nellie is a short term band aid, we need a real traditional offense, so I don't see how Harrington helps as a tweener. We can't draft bigs so there is big advantage of drafting late in the 1st round, we can get the more polished bigs without athletic upside like Boozer or McRoberts or Tayshaun or Nick Fazekas. Our real positon of need ia to replace Harrington in the lineup with an experienced PF that can rebound, set picks and hit pick and pops. At our draft position, we may be more likely to land a marquee true distributing point guard that would allow us to play Ellis at his more natural SG position and a very neccessary insurance for BD and his chronic ailments. We started in the right track by beating Detroit and it would be fun to see our healthy squad rack up some victories.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:14 pm
I'd assume Mullin would be smart enough to get Oden if we had the top pick. Biedrins needs help down there dearly whether it's another actual low post threat or rebounder. They can then slide Biedrins to PF. If we don't make the playoffs, I wouldn't be suprised if Mully tried trading certain players around to get Oden. But yet, I'm not sure if you can package certain Warriors to get some decent returns and the 1st pick.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:20 am
dareedle wrote:We will not benefit by tanking unless we can pick up Durant or Oden. Everyone else is a Dunleavy Junior crap shoot. We already have one solid big (PF/C) Biedrins so we only need one more competent big in the mold of Haslem, PJ Brown, David Lee, Matrix, Haywood, Areujua. It is very possible of picking up a true point guard like DJ Agustin even if we make a late season push. Asssuming Nellie is a short term band aid, we need a real traditional offense, so I don't see how Harrington helps as a tweener. We can't draft bigs so there is big advantage of drafting late in the 1st round, we can get the more polished bigs without athletic upside like Boozer or McRoberts or Tayshaun or Nick Fazekas. Our real positon of need ia to replace Harrington in the lineup with an experienced PF that can rebound, set picks and hit pick and pops. At our draft position, we may be more likely to land a marquee true distributing point guard that would allow us to play Ellis at his more natural SG position and a very neccessary insurance for BD and his chronic ailments.

Agree totally! I do think we can get the PF needed in the draft though. There so many PFs that there is bound to be at least one that will end up real good, thing is, will Mullin pick that right one.

I'd like to see Monta become a PG but if he could DEFEND opposing SG well enough (hard as he would always be undersized and their are more superstar SGs than PGs), then maybe drafting a PG (in the 2nd round!) would be the way to go

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:23 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I'd assume Mullin would be smart enough to get Oden if we had the top pick. Biedrins needs help down there dearly whether it's another actual low post threat or rebounder. They can then slide Biedrins to PF. If we don't make the playoffs, I wouldn't be suprised if Mully tried trading certain players around to get Oden. But yet, I'm not sure if you can package certain Warriors to get some decent returns and the 1st pick.

Which ever two teams get the first two picks, they won't trade them! Oden and Durant have been said to be once in a decade players that are sure things. If there was any chance, Mullin would have to likely trade our draft pick, Baron or Monta and JRich, maybe another player or two as well. It would be that hard and unworthwhile!

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball