Warriors Official Problem/Solution Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:56 pm
Over the past few games, there has been a lot of losing and a lot of sucking. No one's arguing with that. But there has been a lot of complaining here on this thread. A lot of useless crap bitching, to be honest. And it prompted me to start this thread, the problem/solution thread. I'll start with my own list of problems that this team has. Add your own opinions on what our problems are and how we should solve them, and I'll add it to this first post. Now, there will be some solutions that are obvious (like free throws, the solution is simply work on free throws). If there is debating (which there obviously will be), I will put up multiple options if they are decent.

Also, remember that making a trade or signing is a perfectly acceptable solution, try to come up with one or two players who you would like to solve this problem.

The Problems

1. Can't Rebound
-Nothing but trading or aquiring free agents will help this one. Biedrins is a good rebounder, O'Bryant has the potential to be one, Powell is a promising one... and that's it. All of the Warriors 3's and 4's (Harrington, Barnes, Jackson, ect) are average rebounders. But, regardless, a run-and-gun team that plays skinny, 6'8" players at PF isn't going to be winning the rebounding battle anytime soon. It's one of the fundamental weaknesses in our style.
-Improve through the draft. We cannot sign a top free agent and making trades these days ain't exactly easy. We cannot botch in the draft. Al Horford would make a lot of sense, as we probably won't be able to get a top pick.
-Mullin needs to be fired or reassigned to serving beers to people who sit in the lower bowl of the Oracle. This guy has no business running this franchise; he is overmatched and makes reactionary moves. No master plan; no strategic plan; no accountability. For him to have believed that the team should have been built around a fragile point guard, a Duke front court player, a power forward who does not like to play in the paint, and a center who should be flipping burgers at 'In and Out' should be enough reason to get rid of the stiff.

2. Perimeter Defense
-This one's simpler to fix; just wait until Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson gets back. Those two are underrated perimeter defenders who were both giving us over a steal per night. Baron, Monta, and SJax is a 1, 2, 3 lineup that can defend the perimeter.
-Try to get rid of some SF/SG. We are not balanced. We need help inside and have lots of players that can play at those two positions. We have to trade someone, be it for picks or players. We might not get full value, but we just can't go into the next season with the same approach. If anything, let's get some salary cap relief. (btw, J-Rich and Monta shouldn't be touched. Anyone else on those positions is fair game)

3. Post Defense
This is another problem that can't be solved, so long as Andris Biedrins is our only inside man. Unless Nelson starts playing Biedrins and Foyle side-by-side or making Powell a regular member of the rotation, we'll be weak inside with Harrington or Barnes at the 4.
-Play youngsters

4. Can't play our tempo when Baron is not on the floor
This one's just unfortunate. Baron's the floor general. When he's gone, we miss his leadership. It can only be fixed when he comes back. Monta's still not there, as far as PG skills.

5. Poor shooting
Nature of the beast. When you live and die by the perimeter, you're capable of winning against the best and losing against the worst. Until Golden State starts pounding the ball inside through Harrington or Biedrins, they'll keep having good and bad shooting nights.

6. Poor offensive flow

7. Can't win back-to-backs.

8. Can't win on the road.

9.- Terrible half-court offense. Above anything else, terrible movement when we're not running.

10.- Weird substitution patterns. Roles are not clearly defined. For example, Azu plays 30 minutes one day and doesn't play the next 4 games.

11.- Dumb players (this goes for Pietrus, mainly. But, at times, Jackson and Harrington make some plays the leave you like wtf???)

12.- Injuries. Not much to do there, other than try not to sign guys that have been injury prone.

13. Free throws.

Add more problems/solutions!
Last edited by JayPat on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:13 pm
JayPat wrote:The Problems

1. Can't Rebound

2. Perimeter Defense

3. Post Defense

4. Can't play our tempo when Baron is not on the floor

5. Poor shooting

6. Poor offensive flow

7. Can't win back-to-backs.

8. Can't win on the road.

The Solutions

1. Nothing but trading or aquiring free agents will help this one. Biedrins is a good rebounder, O'Bryant has the potential to be one, Powell is a promising one... and that's it. All of the Warriors 3's and 4's (Harrington, Barnes, Jackson, ect) are average rebounders. But, regardless, a run-and-gun team that plays skinny, 6'8" players at PF isn't going to be winning the rebounding battle anytime soon. It's one of the fundamental weaknesses in our style.

2. This one's simpler to fix; just wait until Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson gets back. Those two are underrated perimeter defenders who were both giving us over a steal per night. Baron, Monta, and SJax is a 1, 2, 3 lineup that can defend the perimeter.

3. This is another problem that can't be solved, so long as Andris Biedrins is our only inside man. Unless Nelson starts playing Biedrins and Foyle side-by-side or making Powell a regular member of the rotation, we'll be weak inside with Harrington or Barnes at the 4.

4. This one's just unfortunate. Baron's the floor general. When he's gone, we miss his leadership. It can only be fixed when he comes back. Monta's still not there, as far as PG skills.

5. Nature of the beast. When you live and die by the perimeter, you're capable of winning against the best and losing against the worst. Until Golden State starts pounding the ball inside through Harrington or Biedrins, they'll keep having good and bad shooting nights.

6. See #4
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:14 pm
Cool, I'll add it up, feel free to debate his answers. I'm gonna do a lot of editing on each solution, but since 32 got dibs i just copied and pasted. If there are good counter-points made to his arguments, I will put them up as well.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:19 pm
I think you should add free throw shooting to the list. The Warriors have lost anumber of games by poor free-throw shooting.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:29 am
Nice idea, JayPat. Let's try to keep it in one thread and see what kind of ideas we can add to improve our glaring weaknesses (which we all know by now).

A few more problems we have:

9.- Terrible half-court offense. Above anything else, terrible movement when we're not running.

10.- Weird substitution patterns. Roles are not clearly defined. For example, Azu plays 30 minutes one day and doesn't play the next 4 games.

11.- Dumb players (this goes for Pietrus, mainly. But, at times, Jackson and Harrington make some plays that leave you like wtf???)

12.- Injuries. Not much to do there, other than try not to sign guys that have been injury prone.

About the solutions:

1.- Improve through the draft. We cannot sign a top free agent and making trades these days ain't exactly easy. We cannot botch in the draft. Al Horford would make a lot of sense, as we probably won't be able to get a top pick.

2.- Try to get rid of some SF/SG. We are not balanced. We need help inside and have lots of players that can play at those two positions. We have to trade someone, be it for picks or players. We might not get full value, but we just can't go into the next season with the same approach. If anything, let's get some salary cap relief. (btw, J-Rich and Monta shouldn't be touched. Anyone else on those positions is fair game)

3.- Give more minutes to young players. The season is over, so we might as well see what kind of players Powell, Azu and the rest of the guys are. Then we'll be in a better position to decide who should we go after in the offseason.

4.- Rebounding: See #1. We'll have to draft someone to help Andris. Horford would be great. I don't think POB will ever be a good rebounder. In fact, he's been a terrible rebounder in the NBA so far, no matter what his NBDL numbers say. Powell may be good coming from the bench, but he shouldn't start. J-Rich is ok for a guard. The rest of the team sucks.

5.- Baron Davis. I don't know what to think about him. He's great when he's healthy and motivated... but that doesn't happen often. Should we trade him?. Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not really sure of what to think. On one side, I love what he brings to the team. On the other... $16 million for a player that can't stay healthy is too much.

What does everybody believe about him?
Last edited by TMC on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:16 am
http://www.goldenstwarriors.com/viewtop ... 2987#62987

I outline here the need for the team and give some trades that are possible. If the Celts do get Oden, Jefferson is expendable and he should be targetted. Gasol could definately be had, especially how he demanded to be traded. Getting Diogu back for a guy like Pietrus or Barnes would be real good as well.

A PF is needed. Rebounding and defense are #1 priorities, the rest is pretty much here and things would be so much better with improved rebounding and defense

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:21 am
A huge solution is find a way to get Pau Gasol in the off-season without touching Richardson, Ellis, or Biedrins!

Gasol = Patching up most of Warrior problems.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:23 am
7&8.

Those are problems, but those are totally dependent upon preparation and the mentality the warriors have going into a game.. If your heart isn't into it or if you go on a road trip thinking something else other than the games you are supposed to play, you lose those games.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 am
Josh Jamison wrote:A huge solution is find a way to get Pau Gasol in the off-season without touching Richardson, Ellis, or Biedrins!

Gasol = Patching up most of Warrior problems.

I think gasol can be had since he went out and said he wanted out of there. Baron, Harrington and this draft's 1st round pick should be enough for Gasol and fillers (as I outlined in my trade proposal). The Grizz know that that is a broken situation and have to get what they can for Gasol and right now that is lower then before he asked for a trade, as a situation like that works against the team with the disgruntled player. Mullin should bite hard to get Gasol. Baron is not essential and Monta is always getting better.

Teams with star bigs are more successful than those with only star guards

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:37 am
migya wrote:I think gasol can be had since he went out and said he wanted out of there. Baron, Harrington and this draft's 1st round pick should be enough for Gasol and fillers (as I outlined in my trade proposal). The Grizz know that that is a broken situation and have to get what they can for Gasol and right now that is lower then before he asked for a trade, as a situation like that works against the team with the disgruntled player. Mullin should bite hard to get Gasol. Baron is not essential and Monta is always getting better.

Come on, migya. That's the only trade with no chance of happening. None at all. Memphis will rebuild, and nobody takes over big contracts re-building. Nobody. We'd be sending them salaries for $24 million for Gasol (who will make $13, so they'll probably have to add Stoudamire and Cardinal to make it work)... If anything, they'd ask for Ellis, not Baron.

The only chance to trade Baron (that is, if the front office decides to trade him) it's to a contender (or close to that status) that may be a player away from the championship. And they wouldn't give up too much for him. That's what happens when a player with a max contract plays 50, 67, 46, 54 and 43 games in his last 5 seasons...

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:39 pm
We are all grasping for straws here. This team has problems that require a master architect to come in to root out the problem(s) and to rebuild this franchise.

1. Mullin needs to be fired or reassigned to serving beers to people who sit in the lower bowl of the Oracle. This guy has no business running this franchise; he is overmatched and makes reactionary moves. No master plan; no strategic plan; no accountability. For him to have believed that the team should have been built around a fragile point guard, a Duke front court player, a power forward who does not like to play in the paint, and a center who should be flipping burgers at 'In and Out' should be enough reason to get rid of the stiff.

2. Bring in Donnie Nelson or, better yet, Kiki Vandeweghe to rebuild this team.

3. I like the above suggestion to play our youngsters. Let's see what they can do. We may be pleasantly surprised. I would like to see POB, Powell, Azu get more minutes. No more Foyle!

4. Can Monta develop into a good point guard?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:44 pm
uptempo wrote:1. Mullin needs to be fired or reassigned to serving beers to people who sit in the lower bowl of the Oracle. This guy has no business running this franchise; he is overmatched and makes reactionary moves. No master plan; no strategic plan; no accountability. For him to have believed that the team should have been built around a fragile point guard, a Duke front court player, a power forward who does not like to play in the paint, and a center who should be flipping burgers at 'In and Out' should be enough reason to get rid of the stiff.

We have a Duke front court player...?

And I don't think our center's bad at all. Biedrins has been GREAT this year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:53 pm
32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:1. Mullin needs to be fired or reassigned to serving beers to people who sit in the lower bowl of the Oracle. This guy has no business running this franchise; he is overmatched and makes reactionary moves. No master plan; no strategic plan; no accountability. For him to have believed that the team should have been built around a fragile point guard, a Duke front court player, a power forward who does not like to play in the paint, and a center who should be flipping burgers at 'In and Out' should be enough reason to get rid of the stiff.

He's talking about the previous project. Last year's project, that is, with Dunleavy and Foyle as those players...
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:54 pm
Thanks for the input. Right now we're focused on compiling ideas and throwing them on, then we'll debate.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:16 pm
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:

He's talking about the previous project. Last year's project, that is, with Dunleavy and Foyle as those players...

I got that. But I think it's incorrect to claim that Mullin built the team around Murphy, Dunleavy, and Foyle... when he's clearly been more focused on players like Richardson, Diogu, Davis, Ellis, and Biedrins.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball