What would it take to get Greg Oden or Kevin Durant?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:36 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
JayPat wrote:I'd be honest with any pick 8th or even lower, that would put us in reach for Al Horford.

Horford sure sounds a good fit, though I know nothing about him but the reviews. For those that have seen him, is he a rebounder and defensive type, with some offense that would fit the team need?

From what I've seen (and I've seen just a few games, I haven't followed his whole career, so I'm sure there will be people here with more knowledge than me), he seems like an improved version of Udonis Haslem. Great rebounder, good defender... and a valid scorer, although nobody should rely on him as one of their main weapons on offense. He can score near the basket and, at times, has proved to have a decent jump shot, although far from reliable.

Sounds exactly what the team needs! Another guy that wants the ball in his hands on offense is not what is needed but rather a rebounder and defender with pretty good scoring skills, capable of holding his own offensively when needed

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:13 pm
...which fits us, especially cause it seems like he'll be able to run the floor w/ us on the break. And I don't want another big offensive option, as we have enough.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:48 pm
Oden has the makeup where if he doesn't win it all he might stick around another year as well.

I don't get where you get this from - Oden has shown no intensity, desire, will, or leadership thus far so I don't see why he'd stay if he didn't win it
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:58 pm
If the team can pick Horford and he shows in the preseason that he can not only fit in but make the team better (ie. Win more games) then it is a REMOTE possibility of not having to trade to get a quality PF and letting him be the one BUT it looks like there will have to be some changes in the roster because it is conjested at the SG/SF position with a few players that just don't make the team better

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:14 pm
If that happens we should look at a backup C and a backup PG.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:01 pm
i actually wont mind drafting dj augustin or joakim noah. dj will be available when we pick but im not sure about noah.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:08 am
d1mex wrote:i actually wont mind drafting dj augustin or joakim noah. dj will be available when we pick but im not sure about noah.

God, no. Noah is going to be a big time bust... and I doubt Augustine will be drafted this year.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:55 am
And Noah was the only one that survived the flood!!!! :mrgreen:

Go Noah! If he plays for us that is

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
If we get a top three pick (only the top two really matter) we are getting Oden or Durant because they are franchise players. The Noah vs Alford debate is meaningless because a. their recent losses show some blemishes on the overall competitiveness and b. they suck at free throws. I see one as a poor man's Tashyuan Prince (Noah) and Alford as a poor man's Wilcox/ Al Jefferson (neither will be a franchise player). The Warriors need a stud PG (Agustin) or a complimentary forward (Nick Fazekas) who can command the high post and rebound to play along with Biedrins. Nick is a cross between David Lee, Adam Morrison and our much hated Troy Murphy. Our defense can't be worse (we have the worse defense with or without Dun and Murphy) and we have lost a lot of games where we can't even score 100 points on the road. We need to bench players who don't figure in our long term plans (Barnes and Pietrus), play our starting five (BD, Jrich, Jackson, Harrington, Biedrins) and see if the squad has any chemistry and will to win meaningless games. Tanking will not help this team because we need help us now players like senior Nick or ready to play as a NBA backup PG Agustin. Unfortunately, the Warriors trade for and draft for potential and not players that can rebound, hit free throws and play complimentary positions (i.e. the drafting of Pietrus... the drafting of Dunleavy to replace Jamison). Warriors needs (Big to compliment Biedrins) yes. another shoot first perimeter player no. A long term answer at PG or even a nice backup defensive PG yes Another lousy free throw shooter (with the exception of Oden or Durant) no. I would rank Durant ahead of Oden for the G-men because of his free throws, his dominance of the NCAA, and overall entertainment value.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:47 am
i think Durant will win ya games,Oden will win ya championships.....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:29 am
What the team needs is rebounding and defense above all else!

The scoring is good enough and should get better with the development of Monta (a scorer) and Biedrins (capable of scoring a little more). The team as is right now is built to score and nothing else! Biedrins, the poor bastard, plays a near lone hand in defense and rebounding. Without Pietrus and Monta caring about defense as much as they used to, it has only really been Biedrins that plays much defense at all.

Harrington may be good enough as the starting SF if it comes down to that but if the team keeps their draft, a PF that rebounds and plays defense is a must at the very least! One that can score a little, prefferably with a jump shot of some kind would ideal. Horford has been said to have the rebounding and the defense but not the offensive game, whereas Noah has been said to have all that but with the offense that Horford doesn't have. The only reason why I've turned to liking Noah is pyrely because the reviews state that he has grown half a foot over the last three years and is set to grow some more, he has gotten stronger the last two years and is set to get heavier and stronger, he has improved much over the last two years meaning that he will improve more and has great upside AND he rebounds and plays the defense already. He seems like somewhat of showboat, so he may be more hype than Horford is but I figure that if the consensus is that he can be more of a factor than Horford, why not go for him.

Safest bet is likely Horford but Noah seems like he can be more within two or three seasons while stil doing what is needed now. That might or might not be the case. Everything ofcourse, depends opn the team losing alot for the rest of the season and getting at the very least the 8th pick, 5th or 6th ideal, in order to get into a position to get one of the two or three best PFs available

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:39 am
migya wrote:Safest bet is likely Horford but Noah seems like he can be more within two or three seasons while stil doing what is needed now. That might or might not be the case.

If we're in a position to pick that f*cker (Noah), we might as well grab Brandan Wright. I'd be a lot happier with him... although I doubt we'll be that high.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:42 am
why so anti Noah TMC?

(not havin a go.Havent seen him much myself,just noticed in a heap of posts u really dont want him)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:49 am
Quazza wrote:why so anti Noah TMC?

(not havin a go.Havent seen him much myself,just noticed in a heap of posts u really dont want him)

I can't see his game improving. Looks like the kind of guy whose success in NCAA helps him become a top 3 pick in the draft and whose best asset is his high bball IQ. Remember you of someone?. Intangibles... my ass.

Basically, I think he's terribly overrated. As I said in other post, I see him, at best, as another Anderson Varejao... and that's not what a lottery pick should bring to a team. That's a pick between 20-25. I'd pick him there, but not in the lottery.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:31 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Safest bet is likely Horford but Noah seems like he can be more within two or three seasons while stil doing what is needed now. That might or might not be the case.

If we're in a position to pick that f*cker (Noah), we might as well grab Brandan Wright. I'd be a lot happier with him... although I doubt we'll be that high.

I was just going mostly by the fact that the guy does most things well already, whereas Horford doesn't quite so wel, and the fact that he has supposedly improved leaps and bounds over the last three years. He could continue to improve even more, maybe more than most others in the draft may

PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball