What would it take to get Greg Oden or Kevin Durant?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:14 pm
For Oden I would trade any three players on the team and a pick down the line. He comes along once a decade. He is dominating college right now and he is playing with his off hand on a team full of guards that never get him the ball in a position to score. Thad Matta needs to devote a practice to "the entry pass."

Durant is different. I think he will be a great player but I wouldn't sell the farm for him. I'd trade any single player and a pick to move up for him but not a combination. I just get the feeling that he will be a dominant player but not the kind of player who can lead a team to a championship single handidly.

In all honesty though, I'd much rather see the Warriors slip to the 9th and package their pick and a proven player (sign and trade Pietrus) to swap with Phoenix who will probably end up with the 5th or 6th seed via Atlanta. It would be a huge risk, but take Yi. I don't think he is the next great thing but he will be as good as you can get in this draft outisde the top 3. His size and ballhandling would fit in well with what the Warriors are trying to do but he has enough skills to help the Warriors with what they don't do as well.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:20 pm
Thunder wrote:In all honesty though, I'd much rather see the Warriors slip to the 9th and package their pick and a proven player (sign and trade Pietrus) to swap with Phoenix who will probably end up with the 5th or 6th seed via Atlanta. It would be a huge risk, but take Yi. I don't think he is the next great thing but he will be as good as you can get in this draft outisde the top 3. His size and ballhandling would fit in well with what the Warriors are trying to do but he has enough skills to help the Warriors with what they don't do as well.

I like this plan, but take Al Horford, he'll solve our problems more.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:31 pm
chrisandtimburger wrote:As much promise as Oden has got, he hasn't played a single NBA minute. That being said, I'm sure he'll be a great player similar to Dwight Howard. That being said, I wouldn't trade our big four right now for Dwight Howard. And Howard is PROVEN. Oden will likely be great, but all is just speculation until he's played in the league for a couple seasons.

By the time that happens, trading for him would be impossible. Do you think the Magic would give up Dwight Howard for anybody, short of LeBron James, right now...? I seriously doubt it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:35 pm
When I read this, I almost choked on my water...HOWEVER, what I like about it is that it gives the Warriors a completely clean slate...but that's only a clean slate on the floor, not in coaching, or management. So scratch that, giving up our 4 best players for a kid??? Don't think so.

True superstars enter the league about once per year, if that. Sure thing superstars enter the league even less (lebron, TD, Shaq...). Sure thing superstar big men (Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq, TD, and now Oden) come into the league rarely and when they do they win rings. You need a superstar to win a ring. We have a very talented team but our best player (baron) is injury prone, as are Ellis and Jrich. And none of them are superstars. Ellis has superstar potential but it's not a sure thing. With Oden, the WORST case scenario would be a KG like career of first round exits for ten years, and who wouldn't give up the team we have now for that worst case scenario?
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:51 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
When I read this, I almost choked on my water...HOWEVER, what I like about it is that it gives the Warriors a completely clean slate...but that's only a clean slate on the floor, not in coaching, or management. So scratch that, giving up our 4 best players for a kid??? Don't think so.

True superstars enter the league about once per year, if that. Sure thing superstars enter the league even less (lebron, TD, Shaq...). Sure thing superstar big men (Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq, TD, and now Oden) come into the league rarely and when they do they win rings. You need a superstar to win a ring. We have a very talented team but our best player (baron) is injury prone, as are Ellis and Jrich. And none of them are superstars. Ellis has superstar potential but it's not a sure thing. With Oden, the WORST case scenario would be a KG like career of first round exits for ten years, and who wouldn't give up the team we have now for that worst case scenario?

Exactly.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:42 pm
32 wrote:True superstars enter the league about once per year, if that. Sure thing superstars enter the league even less (lebron, TD, Shaq...). Sure thing superstar big men (Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq, TD, and now Oden) come into the league rarely and when they do they win rings. You need a superstar to win a ring. We have a very talented team but our best player (baron) is injury prone, as are Ellis and Jrich. And none of them are superstars. Ellis has superstar potential but it's not a sure thing. With Oden, the WORST case scenario would be a KG like career of first round exits for ten years, and who wouldn't give up the team we have now for that worst case scenario?

Exactly.[/quote]

Okay, I get that you would give up Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Andris Biedrins, and Monta Ellis for Greg Oden (still seems preposterous even as I type each name), if that's the case, do you think any of the current cellar dwellars would be open to this?
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:57 pm
Okay, I get that you would give up Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Andris Biedrins, and Monta Ellis for Greg Oden (still seems preposterous even as I type each name), if that's the case, do you think any of the current cellar dwellars would be open to this?

well first of all, the salaries would be way imbalanced, and anything worth 25 million would change the trade in our favor (though I could see philly trading chris webber and jamal mashburn's contract along with their pick)
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:20 pm
Yeah, adding cap-space-sucking players will sweeten the deal for the team w/ the pick. Also, I'd like to find a way around trading Ellis.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:35 pm
Durant parents' said that he probably endup staying another year in college. According to his father they are well off and have pretty good jobs! So, Durant won't be available to the W's and Oden will also be staying another year in college. Oden is a man of studies. School is more important to him than jumping straight to the NBA this year!

So the W's are **** out of luck on the Durant and Oden sweepstakes!

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:35 pm
Durant parents' said that he probably endup staying another year in college. According to his father they are well off and have pretty good jobs! So, Durant won't be available to the W's and Oden will also be staying another year in college. Oden is a man of studies. School is more important to him than jumping straight to the NBA this year!

So the W's are **** out of luck on the Durant and Oden sweepstakes!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:48 am
JayPat wrote:Possible reason for tanking the season: so we can get a decent pick and latch it on for a deal for a higher pick.

As I've said in a couple of threads already, if the team loses 75-80% of their games from here on out, they will be as high as 5th or 6th pick. It is unlikely that will happen but even 7th pick could get a PF that can make a difference or trade the pick and a couple of players to move up but anyone but Oden and Durant won't be worth giving up a couple of starters for. Getting the 5th, 6th or 7th pick would be such an upgrade from the current 10th or 11th pick

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:38 am
I heard the thing about Durant's father saying he might just stay in school another year. Oden has the makeup where if he doesn't win it all he might stick around another year as well.

However, this was all before Shaun Livingston's knee was ravaged. I think his injury will serve as a wake up call to Durant and Oden that nothing is guarenteed. The two wonder children might have been on the fence prior to that injury, but now they would be hard pressed to cash in as soon as they can.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:58 pm
I'd be honest with any pick 8th or even lower, that would put us in reach for Al Horford.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:41 pm
JayPat wrote:I'd be honest with any pick 8th or even lower, that would put us in reach for Al Horford.

Horford sure sounds a good fit, though I know nothing about him but the reviews. For those that have seen him, is he a rebounder and defensive type, with some offense that would fit the team need?

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:11 am
migya wrote:
JayPat wrote:I'd be honest with any pick 8th or even lower, that would put us in reach for Al Horford.

Horford sure sounds a good fit, though I know nothing about him but the reviews. For those that have seen him, is he a rebounder and defensive type, with some offense that would fit the team need?

From what I've seen (and I've seen just a few games, I haven't followed his whole career, so I'm sure there will be people here with more knowledge than me), he seems like an improved version of Udonis Haslem. Great rebounder, good defender... and a valid scorer, although nobody should rely on him as one of their main weapons on offense. He can score near the basket and, at times, has proved to have a decent jump shot, although far from reliable.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball