What would it take to get Greg Oden or Kevin Durant?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:00 pm
Discuss
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:14 pm
A miracle on lottery day...

If you're talking about players... probably both Biedrins and Ellis (if not more).

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:20 pm
I'm definitely not in favor of tanking the season for a higher pick simply because we're "not bad enough" for that to be an effective strategy. If I were the Niners however, I would've tanked last season for an opportunity at Bush. To know that Bush didn't even get drafted #1 makes me even madder that the Niners didn't tank the 2nd half of the season.

But getting back to the Warriors, I would not be averse to a blockbuster trade up for the 1st or 2nd pick. To me, anyone but Monta would be fair game.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm
I'd throw away that pizzaface Ellis for Durant any day.
New. Stuff.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:32 pm
Possible reason for tanking the season: so we can get a decent pick and latch it on for a deal for a higher pick.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:12 pm
JayPat wrote:Possible reason for tanking the season: so we can get a decent pick and latch it on for a deal for a higher pick.

Interesting...if we lose to the Knicks tomorrow, I am aboard for this strategy!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:23 pm
TMC wrote:A miracle on lottery day...

If you're talking about players... probably both Biedrins and Ellis (if not more).

If all it took were Biedrins and Ellis to get Oden, we'd be stupid not to do it.

If the Warriors had any shot in a trade at getting Greg Oden whatsoever, they should take it. I'd give up Richardson, Ellis, Davis, AND Biedrins to get him. Seriously.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:32 pm
32 wrote:If the Warriors had any shot in a trade at getting Greg Oden whatsoever, they should take it. I'd give up Richardson, Ellis, Davis, AND Biedrins to get him. Seriously.

When I read this, I almost choked on my water...HOWEVER, what I like about it is that it gives the Warriors a completely clean slate...but that's only a clean slate on the floor, not in coaching, or management. So scratch that, giving up our 4 best players for a kid??? Don't think so.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:49 pm
chrisandtimburger wrote:I'm definitely not in favor of tanking the season for a higher pick simply because we're "not bad enough" for that to be an effective strategy. If I were the Niners however, I would've tanked last season for an opportunity at Bush. To know that Bush didn't even get drafted #1 makes me even madder that the Niners didn't tank the 2nd half of the season.

But getting back to the Warriors, I would not be averse to a blockbuster trade up for the 1st or 2nd pick. To me, anyone but Monta would be fair game.

Did you ever hear of a RB named Frank Gore? ;)
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:52 pm
chrisandtimburger wrote:
32 wrote:If the Warriors had any shot in a trade at getting Greg Oden whatsoever, they should take it. I'd give up Richardson, Ellis, Davis, AND Biedrins to get him. Seriously.

When I read this, I almost choked on my water...HOWEVER, what I like about it is that it gives the Warriors a completely clean slate...but that's only a clean slate on the floor, not in coaching, or management. So scratch that, giving up our 4 best players for a kid??? Don't think so.

well what 32 is suggesting doesn't seem that far fetched as we don't have a player of Lebron/Wade/Nowitski/KG and dare I say it... Kobe level?
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:57 pm
32 wrote:
TMC wrote:A miracle on lottery day...

If all it took were Biedrins and Ellis to get Oden, we'd be stupid not to do it.

If the Warriors had any shot in a trade at getting Greg Oden whatsoever, they should take it. I'd give up Richardson, Ellis, Davis, AND Biedrins to get him. Seriously.

I said just Ellis and Biedrins because no team in the top spot on the draft will take Baron's contract (or any other big contract, for that matter).

Biedrins and Ellis are two young guys with cheap contracts and a bright future... so they're the ones with the most value in trades.

Of course, being realistic, getting Oden would take Ellis, Biedrins and several picks... probably more than any team is willing to give up. Just look at how many #1 or #2 draft picks have been traded on draft day. I only remember Brand to the Clippers... and we'll have to go back to Chris Webber to find the next one (I might be missing someone, tho. Haven't checked it). It just ain't something that happens often.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 pm
chrisandtimburger wrote:

Are you kidding or not...?

Every few years, a monster big man enters the draft and takes over the league. Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan are examples of the type of player Greg Oden is expected to be in this league. He's not a project; he's a sure thing. And when there's a sure-thing, superstar center in the draft... you trade the kitchen sink for him.

Biedrins is great... but he'll never be as good as Dwight Howard or Greg Oden (both of which will demolish this league when they feel like it). Monta's a small price to pay to upgrade from Biedrins to Oden.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:24 pm
As much promise as Oden has got, he hasn't played a single NBA minute. That being said, I'm sure he'll be a great player similar to Dwight Howard. That being said, I wouldn't trade our big four right now for Dwight Howard. And Howard is PROVEN. Oden will likely be great, but all is just speculation until he's played in the league for a couple seasons.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm
tkono wrote:
chrisandtimburger wrote:I'm definitely not in favor of tanking the season for a higher pick simply because we're "not bad enough" for that to be an effective strategy. If I were the Niners however, I would've tanked last season for an opportunity at Bush. To know that Bush didn't even get drafted #1 makes me even madder that the Niners didn't tank the 2nd half of the season.

Did you ever hear of a RB named Frank Gore? ;)

Frank is nice, but Bush might be the best RB in the NFL for the next decade.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:57 pm
I'd try and keep Ellis... Biedrins, Harrington, Azubuike and our 1st rounder for the next two seasons should do it.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball