Jim Barnett

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:21 am
Jim Barnett is a very good and insightful announcer. However, as the Warriors get worse and worse, it pains me to listen to Jim because he always seems to know what the Warriors need to be doing to get better. So my question is this, does Jim Barnett have any interaction with the players such that he's able to help them grow?

Whenever I watch Warrior games, I always wish Jim could actually take his comments and tell the players directly...I frequently find myself thinking, "Don't tell us! Tell the players! Tell Nelson!" they need to hear this stuff.

Additionally, I also feel like Jim Barnett never has a bad thing to say about the team...as the Warriors announcer, I understand he has to be PC, but sometimes I wish he would get frustrated like the fans.

While I like him, he can be rational to a fault.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:28 am
Announcers are very closely tied to the team - the players to some extent but to the administration and higherarchy moreso. If Barnett ever started badmouthing the Warriors to any degree his job would be threatened. It isn't just the Warriors, almost every professional sports organization runs their ship like the Gestapo. Believe me, the guy's frustrated. Thing is he can't even hint at showing that without getting canned.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:34 am
Jim is actually fairly critiacl of the players and their current activity, in the context of the game. That's going to pretty much be his limitation.

I'd like to think Jim would LOVE to criticize Nellie and even the front office for the way the team has been build and trained. But, out of loyalty to the team, and interest in keeping his job, he will not and cannot speak his mind on these matters.

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:47 am
drazz wrote:Jim is actually fairly critiacl of the players and their current activity, in the context of the game. That's going to pretty much be his limitation.

I'd like to think Jim would LOVE to criticize Nellie and even the front office for the way the team has been build and trained. But, out of loyalty to the team, and interest in keeping his job, he will not and cannot speak his mind on these matters.

I would love to sit down with Jim, have some beers and "off the record" talk about the Warriors problems. I would be very curious what he thinks about the current team. Who he likes, who he thinks are problems and what can be done in the near future to finally get this team to the playoffs.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:02 pm
Thunder wrote:Announcers are very closely tied to the team - the players to some extent but to the administration and higherarchy moreso. If Barnett ever started badmouthing the Warriors to any degree his job would be threatened. It isn't just the Warriors, almost every professional sports organization runs their ship like the Gestapo. Believe me, the guy's frustrated. Thing is he can't even hint at showing that without getting canned.

yeah - reading between the lines, he, fitz and tim roy are truly nauseated by the ws play, but it is a pretty sweet and lucrative gig to be a broadcaster with a lot of perks whether or not the ws win, and they know they get too critical they will get canned. Also, if they are too negative management believes it will discourage fans from listening/watching and then advertisers will bail, and it's all about the benjamins. The fact that attendance has been down this year may have more effect on the ws management than anything else. There is no doubt in my mind that Rick Barry, who has a great basketball mind, iced himself out of any kind of coaching gig and lost his KNBR gig due to his negative comments about the team and his generally difficult persona.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:46 pm
jim barnett for general manager! lol... wouldnt hurt at this point.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 pm
Barnett has actually addressed this question. His answer was no, he does not have access to the team to give them advice.

Barnett is very critical of certain players. According to Jim, Pietrus cannot even blow his nose to his satisfaction. By the same token, Dunleavy was God's gift to basketball.
Last edited by The Coooach on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:59 pm
Jims "have some pride" comment last night was very poignant. It was dripping with disgust and his obvious dissapointment.

Anyone else catch it?

Trolloc
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 pm
Trolloc wrote:Jims "have some pride" comment last night was very poignant. It was dripping with disgust and his obvious dissapointment.

Anyone else catch it?

Trolloc

No I didn't. What did he say and what was the context?

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 pm
Trolloc wrote:Jims "have some pride" comment last night was very poignant. It was dripping with disgust and his obvious dissapointment.

Anyone else catch it?Trolloc

Yes, kind of woke me up. He was pissed! Probably had to kiss the ring, or worse, of some executive after that one.

As to whether he could help the team; yes, he has some great knowledge, but the players in general don't like advice from old players. I would guess that 99% of them think they are better than he ever was. Rumor is that he can outshoot them still.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:23 pm
/cry

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:37 pm
David Wood wrote:

Anyone else catch it?

Trolloc

No I didn't. What did he say and what was the context?

It was early 4th quarter I think and the Warriors gave up an easy fast break basket or something similiar ( I was at half attention by that point) and Barnett said it very bitterly.

It was his tone that snapped my head around to the TV. But he very deliberately called the team out. "Have some pride"!

Trolloc
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:04 am
chrisandtimburger wrote:Jim Barnett is a very good and insightful announcer. However, as the Warriors get worse and worse, it pains me to listen to Jim because he always seems to know what the Warriors need to be doing to get better. So my question is this, does Jim Barnett have any interaction with the players such that he's able to help them grow?

Whenever I watch Warrior games, I always wish Jim could actually take his comments and tell the players directly...I frequently find myself thinking, "Don't tell us! Tell the players! Tell Nelson!" they need to hear this stuff.

Additionally, I also feel like Jim Barnett never has a bad thing to say about the team...as the Warriors announcer, I understand he has to be PC, but sometimes I wish he would get frustrated like the fans.

You gotta be kidding... did you even listen to Barnett LAST year, or the year before, or before that, ect, ect, ect...

Jim Barnett has been rooting for the opposition for years. I figured somebody actually said something to him this year, which is why he's been relatively positive towards Golden State. Prior to this season, he hated the Warriors. Seriously.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:19 am
Ya as I recall 3 or 4 years ago, there was somebody on one of the old forums saying he overheard barnett in a restaurant in Oakland saying that there was no hope for that team and him complaining about the fact that they can't lure superstars here.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:19 am
32 wrote:
chrisandtimburger wrote:Jim Barnett is a very good and insightful announcer. However, as the Warriors get worse and worse, it pains me to listen to Jim because he always seems to know what the Warriors need to be doing to get better. So my question is this, does Jim Barnett have any interaction with the players such that he's able to help them grow?

You gotta be kidding... did you even listen to Barnett LAST year, or the year before, or before that, ect, ect, ect...

Jim Barnett has been rooting for the opposition for years. I figured somebody actually said something to him this year, which is why he's been relatively positive towards Golden State. Prior to this season, he hated the Warriors. Seriously.

Funny how people can hear the same thing and come to completely different conclusions. You say Jim Barnett hates the Warriors. To me, Jim Barnett comes off as a Homer.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball