So who's going to be available this offseason?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:23 pm
I am not sure what it would cost but I think a guy like Anderson Varejao would be a good player for the Warriors.

Positives:
1. He plays good defense and can guard centers which could keep Andris out of foul trouble.

2. In addition, he rebounds well which is something the Warriors need, specifically on the defensive end of the floor.

3. Varejao can get up and down the floor as well which means he could fit into the Warriors set-up.

4. He brings loads of energy to the floor and gets the crowd excited and into games. The Warriors need someone like this desperately.

Negatives:
1. His offensive game is a bit limited, but the way I look at it, he is still young and can potentially get better on the block.

2. He might cost more than he is worth as all free agents asking prices will always be inflated in this day and age of big money free agency. In addition, he is a restricted free agent.

Thoughts on Varejao? Anyone else think he would be a good fit for the Warriors? I am not saying the team should sign him to a six year-60 million dollar deal, but a four year-24 million dollar deal might not be bad.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:49 pm
TMC wrote:NBA contracts are guaranteed, drazz. Can't be restructured. This is not the NFL. Once the contract is signed, the team has to pay it all.

Damn, knew I forgot that. That makes Foyle a total sink, and one that won't be traded unless we get another money sink in return.

As for PF's, there area few I have my eye on that would compliment a movement-style offense, one that we should adopt. Run-run-run works sometimes, but that requires the ability to make turnovers and get rebounds, which the W's don't do well. I'd say saything like a Princeton offense, with lots of screens and cuts, should be implimented, along with a new coach.

Anyway, PF's i'd like to see:

Gasol. Good all-around, but pricey. BD and Harrington to Grizz, for Gasol and Cardinal, just so they can dump his contract. We wouldn't be begging for Cardinal, but he might be packaged in to keep their salary low. I wouldn't hate that trade, though it leaves us looking for another PG.

Varejao. Mobile, good def and rebs, still learning the pro game. Free agent next year, could be, at worst, singed for the mid-level. Not the most deadly offensive threat, but our current team only has offense. I think we can sacrifice a little bit here to gain in def and rebs.

Luol Deng/Tyrus Thomas. Athletic bigs, with the desire to defend and rebound. Both are signed for good, low deals, but the Bulls have little need and are already very low in salary. I don't see a trade happening here.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:15 pm
The Ws have all they need now. No need for risky or expensive trades.

By position:
1. Harrington (6.9). He says he is going to work on his point skills for next year because he can play all the other positions already.
2. Powell (6.9). Proved he has a variety of inside and outside shots and can handle the ball. Seems happy to play anywhere, anytime.
3. POB (7.0). Can shoot and handle. Likes outside more than inside and is likely better at it.
4. Perovic (7.2). Not sure of his shooting skills, but Biedrins has to play the 5.
5. Biedrins (7.0). Has the skills we all know of. Now he will have help and be even better.

Davis, Ellis, Jackson, Richardson, K.Az, Barnes, Foyle or a decent draft choice all rushing up and down the court killing the wounded.

What a scenario! And so weird that Nelson would have to cook up an unusual offense, something that would appeal to him. And, since the reserves are so good and well-known, he wouldn't be able to forget about them :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:15 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:Thoughts on Varejao? Anyone else think he would be a good fit for the Warriors? I am not saying the team should sign him to a six year-60 million dollar deal, but a four year-24 million dollar deal might not be bad.

I like him... but having Biedrins at C, I'd like to have someone a bit more developed offensively. I wouldn't break the bank for him... but if he ain't too pricey, I'd like to have him (although I'm pretty sure he'll re-sign with the Cavs).

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:57 pm
TMC wrote:I like him... but having Biedrins at C, I'd like to have someone a bit more developed offensively. I wouldn't break the bank for him... but if he ain't too pricey, I'd like to have him (although I'm pretty sure he'll re-sign with the Cavs).

Yeah his limited offensive game is not something I like, but I think he can develop a bit in that area.

I agree with you though he will likely resign with the Cavs especially as Ilgauskas seems to be on his last leg right now. He looks horrible out there right now.

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:23 pm
I tell you what, if you want to unload some players then you need to call Kevin McHale. He'll take your garbage and give you whatever you want. I know he's nothing special, but Mark Blount might actually be just what the doctor ordered. He doesn't play D or rebound all that well, but he's probably the best jump shooting center in the NBA. Pair him with Andris Biedrins and they each make up for the other''s weaknesses almost perfectly. You have size, shooting, athleticism, rebounding. I like it. Obviously that couldn;t be all, but it's a starts.

So we say you give the Wolves Baron Davis, who would pair PERFECTLY with KG. Finally another backcourt scorer who likes to carry the scoring load and take late shots- thats what Garnett needs. You want to dump Harrington? OK, we'll take him too. We could use another wing player who can actually put the ball in the basket on occasion and who could ease some of the rebounding burden off of Kevin.

SO: You give the Wolves Baron Davis and Al Harrington. We need to win ASAP before KG dies, or something, so we give up Randy Foye, who is young, talented and destined for a few All-Star games in his career. We also throw in Mark Blount, who would thrive in a Don Nelson offense. We also have to include some salary to make it work, so we say we toss in Marko Jaric or Mike James.

Wolves starting 5 looks like this: Baron Davis, Rashad McCants, Al Harrington, Kevin Garnett and Craig Smith (If you ever catch a T-Wolves game, PLEASE pay close attention to this kid, he's the real deal). Craig guards fat centers, KG guards tall ones.

Warriors lineup looks thusly: Monta ellis, Randy Foye, Jason Richardson, Andris Biedrins and Mark Blount.

Thoughts?
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:39 pm
No. We're giving up too much. Getting Blount doesn't mean we improve our scoring since we are giving up Harrington. And Baron >>> Foye.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:59 pm
Harrington and Davis in exchance for Mark Blount (whose having a career season) and Randy Foye (aka, Monta Ellis II)...?

Pardon me while I ready the lube for Golden State... :roll:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:04 am
EmptyTheBench wrote:Warriors lineup looks thusly: Monta ellis, Randy Foye, Jason Richardson, Andris Biedrins and Mark Blount.

Thoughts?

God, no. Blount is a stiff who's having his career year in a team that, if not for KG, would be a contender for Oden/Durant. He's a slacker. Ask any Celtic fan if he's worth anything. I wouldn't trade a 2025 second rounder for him...

And I don't know why... but I'm not really high on Randy Foye. I'd trade for Brandon Roy, but not for Foye.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am
ChicagoTom wrote:I am not sure what it would cost but I think a guy like Anderson Varejao would be a good player for the Warriors.

Positives:
1. He plays good defense and can guard centers which could keep Andris out of foul trouble.

2. In addition, he rebounds well which is something the Warriors need, specifically on the defensive end of the floor.

3. Varejao can get up and down the floor as well which means he could fit into the Warriors set-up.

4. He brings loads of energy to the floor and gets the crowd excited and into games. The Warriors need someone like this desperately.

Negatives:
1. His offensive game is a bit limited, but the way I look at it, he is still young and can potentially get better on the block.

2. He might cost more than he is worth as all free agents asking prices will always be inflated in this day and age of big money free agency. In addition, he is a restricted free agent.

Thoughts on Varejao? Anyone else think he would be a good fit for the Warriors? I am not saying the team should sign him to a six year-60 million dollar deal, but a four year-24 million dollar deal might not be bad.

Well said and this guy seems like a real possibility so Mullin should throw money that he maybe thinking about giving to Pietrus (who is redundant right now). Just getting a guy that plays some defense and rebounds would be huge and the scoring comes from the other three positions so Biedrins and Varejao can do the dirty work

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:26 am
TMC wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote: I hate to admit it, but i fully agree with migya on this one. :D :D

It's not about being right or wrong. I'd also like to see any of those trades happen (with the Gasol one as my personal preference). It's just that I don't think anybody is going to trade for a good player that makes $16 million and can't stay healthy (then again, if he were able to stay healthy, we wouldn't be talking about trading him).

On ya Reggie.

You want the Spanish star don't ya TMC :wink:
This trade is viable because as I said, if the Grizz get one of the top 2 picks this draft, they can get back to the playoffs with this trade definately. Throw in our pick, especially if it is top 8 and the Grixx can make their starting five much better than it is now with no real weaklinks. This trade is very viable and would help both teams

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:14 am
migya wrote:You want the Spanish star don't ya TMC :wink:
This trade is viable because as I said, if the Grizz get one of the top 2 picks this draft, they can get back to the playoffs with this trade definately. Throw in our pick, especially if it is top 8 and the Grixx can make their starting five much better than it is now with no real weaklinks. This trade is very viable and would help both teams

Of course I want him (although not just because he's a fellow spaniard. I'm more interested in winning than where the players come from. If I want him is because he would make us a much better team).

What I'm saying is that I can't see that trade happening if it doesn't involve Monta instead of Baron...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:43 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:You want the Spanish star don't ya TMC :wink:

Of course I want him (although not just because he's a fellow spaniard. I'm more interested in winning than where the players come from. If I want him is because he would make us a much better team).

What I'm saying is that I can't see that trade happening if it doesn't involve Monta instead of Baron...

There would have to be contract fillers from the Warriors to make it work so it will be hard. Getting Gasol and giving Monta instead of Baron is still feasible but I reckon West would take Baron because he is a proven great PG and they just have pretty bad PGs right now. Without a good one and with the young players they have, they won't be a playoff team for a couple of years at the very least. This trade gets them back to the playoffs without stripping them of their young players

Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball