So who's going to be available this offseason?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:32 am
Call it a hunch, but I don't think we're making the playoffs this year.
:wink:
If I had more time, I'd look to see who's a FA in the offseason and start some internet rumors.

Anyone have time to look this up and help me dream up an off season plan to get this team in the playoffs next season? What's our salary cap situation since we unloaded some contracts with the trade.

Help me be optimistic for next year...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:00 am
From the top of my mind:

Grant Hill (looked much more appealing 6 years ago...)
Rashard Lewis (under contract, but seems like he'll opt out)
Vince Carter (same as Lewis)
Gerald Wallace (same)
Chauncy Billups (same)
Stackhouse
Mo Williams
Nocioni
PJ Brown
Chuck Hayes
Mo Pete
Joe Smith
Desmond Mason
Magloire
Fortson
James Posey

And... KAPONO

Probably a few more I'm forgetting right now...

btw, about our salary cap... we'll be around $10 million or so over it. The big benefits of the trade start after next season, when Cabbage becomes a $4 million expirer...
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:47 am
Yeah, yeah, there are some nice names up there, who will be more or less free agents. And, yes, there will be some good talent that will be open for trades as well.

But, the real question is, who's available to coach?

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:27 pm
[quote="drazz"]Yeah, yeah, there are some nice names up there, who will be more or less free agents. And, yes, there will be some good talent that will be open for trades as well.
quote]

Oooh, I think Joe Smith might be a great addition to our squad. :shock:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:11 am
No matter what, an inside force must be obtained or it will always be the same old chuck up shots and get smashed defensively crap!

not many key free agents would want to come here and that is understandable with the "losing" tradition of this franchise for so long.

My trade propsals that will bolster the team:

1. Baron and Harrington to Celts for Jefferson, Delonte, Ratliff and Wally. Ratliff is just for salary, as is Wally but Wally is decent enough to stay until his contract expires in two seasons. Jefferson is the key one as he has shown the last couple of months that he can play with enough court time. Losing Diogu was bad but this guy does the same yet is bigger! Jefferson is a monster that would go well with Biedrins inside and give a youthful duo that plays the defense and score inside (Biedrins can score quite well). Delonte would backup Monta (who has shown recently that he can play PG well) at PG thus giving Monta all the court time and opportunity he needs to become the star he can be. Delonte is a very decent player that plays the defense well, something the team needs more of.

2. Baron and Harrington to Nets, Kidd, Nachjbar and Nets 1st rounder in this draft to Pacers, Jermaine and Diogu (I WANT HIM BACK!) to Warriors.
Nets get a great PG replacement for Kidd who is on the way out anyway. Carter will leave as well and Harrington can be their SF with RJefferson their SG thus softening the blow of Carter leaving somewhat. Pacers get a great PG finally and one that can get the most out of Granger, Murphy and dun (if anyone can). Warriors finally get a superstar big guy and Jermaine is on the way out it has beeen said for so long now. Jemaine could play his natural PF spot with Biedrins giving the team a great defensive duo who can alot towards winning. Diogu comes back and he could get all the minutes as backup PF with Jermaine playing some Center ie. Diogu playing some 27-31mins!
If Diogu can't be attained, then Foster in his place, should be alright as rebounding is a need for the team.

3. Baron and Harrington (and 1st rounder in this draft or next if needed) to Grizz for Gasol, Swift and Stoudamire.
Gasol saying he wanted out ensures he will be dealt this offseason! Gasol gives the Warriors a superstar big they desperately need because it all starts with the big guys, just look at all the best teams in the nba, they all have a star big guy! Swift has only two years left on his contract, as does Damon so it isn't necessarily a long term thing with those two but Swift can rebound, block shots and run well and Damon still scores and passes pretty well and he will be a bckup to Monta anyway.

Jusr some trade ideas that could be possible and would improve the team!

Baron has done great but the team just has not gotten much better and now with Monta rising, he is expendable if need be.

Harrington is just not a player that makes a team win more and in fact he has made guys like Barnes and Pietrus regress, costing the team that way. He is better off being used in a trade as he has good numbers

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:30 am
Nobody is going to trade for Baron. Nobody. He's just too injury prone to take over his $16 million salary for next season...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:08 am
TMC wrote:Nobody is going to trade for Baron. Nobody. He's just too injury prone to take over his $16 million salary for next season...

I disagree, Baron would be wanted by a team that is need of a very good distributor who can also score himself. If the Celts get Oden, they will be more willing to part with Jefferson (as he and Oden probably couldn't coexist together in the post) and they would need a proper PG. Baron is expensive but his contract only goes for two more seasons and then they could sign him for less since the Celts would likely be a winner with Baron at PG and the addition of Oden

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:22 am
migya wrote: they will be more willing to part with Jefferson (as he and Oden probably couldn't coexist together in the post)

Quite the opposite. That's exactly what they're hoping for, Jefferson at PF and Oden at C. It would be different if they get Durant. Then they'd be more willing to trade Gerald Green... or maybe even Pierce.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:47 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote: they will be more willing to part with Jefferson (as he and Oden probably couldn't coexist together in the post)

Quite the opposite. That's exactly what they're hoping for, Jefferson at PF and Oden at C. It would be different if they get Durant. Then they'd be more willing to trade Gerald Green... or maybe even Pierce.

One of either Oden or Jefferson would not develop so well and bet is it would be Jeferson who has just come into his own. Wouldn't be good for him to be next to a star Center. The Celts need for a better PG would be far more important having Pierce, Green and Oden

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:52 am
migya wrote:No matter what, an inside force must be obtained or it will always be the same old chuck up shots and get smashed defensively crap!

not many key free agents would want to come here and that is understandable with the "losing" tradition of this franchise for so long.

My trade propsals that will bolster the team:

1. Baron and Harrington to Celts for Jefferson, Delonte, Ratliff and Wally. Ratliff is just for salary, as is Wally but Wally is decent enough to stay until his contract expires in two seasons. Jefferson is the key one as he has shown the last couple of months that he can play with enough court time. Losing Diogu was bad but this guy does the same yet is bigger! Jefferson is a monster that would go well with Biedrins inside and give a youthful duo that plays the defense and score inside (Biedrins can score quite well). Delonte would backup Monta (who has shown recently that he can play PG well) at PG thus giving Monta all the court time and opportunity he needs to become the star he can be. Delonte is a very decent player that plays the defense well, something the team needs more of.

2. Baron and Harrington to Nets, Kidd, Nachjbar and Nets 1st rounder in this draft to Pacers, Jermaine and Diogu (I WANT HIM BACK!) to Warriors.
Nets get a great PG replacement for Kidd who is on the way out anyway. Carter will leave as well and Harrington can be their SF with RJefferson their SG thus softening the blow of Carter leaving somewhat. Pacers get a great PG finally and one that can get the most out of Granger, Murphy and dun (if anyone can). Warriors finally get a superstar big guy and Jermaine is on the way out it has beeen said for so long now. Jemaine could play his natural PF spot with Biedrins giving the team a great defensive duo who can alot towards winning. Diogu comes back and he could get all the minutes as backup PF with Jermaine playing some Center ie. Diogu playing some 27-31mins!
If Diogu can't be attained, then Foster in his place, should be alright as rebounding is a need for the team.

3. Baron and Harrington (and 1st rounder in this draft or next if needed) to Grizz for Gasol, Swift and Stoudamire.
Gasol saying he wanted out ensures he will be dealt this offseason! Gasol gives the Warriors a superstar big they desperately need because it all starts with the big guys, just look at all the best teams in the nba, they all have a star big guy! Swift has only two years left on his contract, as does Damon so it isn't necessarily a long term thing with those two but Swift can rebound, block shots and run well and Damon still scores and passes pretty well and he will be a bckup to Monta anyway.

Jusr some trade ideas that could be possible and would improve the team!

Baron has done great but the team just has not gotten much better and now with Monta rising, he is expendable if need be.

Harrington is just not a player that makes a team win more and in fact he has made guys like Barnes and Pietrus regress, costing the team that way. He is better off being used in a trade as he has good numbers

I hate to admit it, but i fully agree with migya on this one. :D :D
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:09 am
ReginaldLewis wrote: I hate to admit it, but i fully agree with migya on this one. :D :D

It's not about being right or wrong. I'd also like to see any of those trades happen (with the Gasol one as my personal preference). It's just that I don't think anybody is going to trade for a good player that makes $16 million and can't stay healthy (then again, if he were able to stay healthy, we wouldn't be talking about trading him).
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:13 am
Gotta say, I agree with the sentiment from migya. BD and Harrington can be traded this summer, and I would actively shop them around. AND a real inside force (not Harrington as a 'post player') should be sought.

But, I also have to agree with TMC. BD is not really going to be a hot item after the injuries he has had the past few years (every year?). Harrington might draw some attention, but he's also not going to be a franchise type player, and he's not much of a role player that teams seek out.

All the deals that migya lay out are out of reach, as far as I can see. Yes, I'd love to see Gasol or Jermaine, but there is not much of a chance of getting them for BD and Harrington. I could see maybe Gasol for that, but I'm not even sure the Grizz want anything we have that we are willing to offer. (DEAR MULLIN: DO NOT TRADE ELLIS OR BIENDRINS)

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:35 am
Why all the trade talk? Why can't we just add a free agent? Our core group is good. We just need a big man to ADD, not to trade for.

Why can't we just sign Gasol? Then we'd have a solid squad.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:56 am
WestCoast O wrote:Why all the trade talk? Why can't we just add a free agent? Our core group is good. We just need a big man to ADD, not to trade for.

Umm, because he's under contract with the Grizz for another 4 years?

Because, if we don't drop our current salary, we won't have enough money to sign ANYBODY, let alone Gasol who is earning over $10 mill. We're going to struggle to keep Ellis and Biedrins after next year, when both their contracts expire, and really we should re-sign them this off season.

No matter what, the W's need to drop some moeny from their current salary. Options there:
--BD out or restructured deal. We should be able to trade him, but will need to take on some bad salary in return.

--Foyle traded or restructured. Trace is doubtful at his price, but he might be convinced to change his pay; otherwise that's a lot of dead money for the next few years.

--Harrington traded. Should be able to get something in return, though not a top prospect/star player.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:08 am
drazz wrote:
WestCoast O wrote:Why all the trade talk? Why can't we just add a free agent? Our core group is good. We just need a big man to ADD, not to trade for.

Umm, because he's under contract with the Grizz for another 4 years?

Because, if we don't drop our current salary, we won't have enough money to sign ANYBODY, let alone Gasol who is earning over $10 mill. We're going to struggle to keep Ellis and Biedrins after next year, when both their contracts expire, and really we should re-sign them this off season.

Yeah, as we're over the cap, we cannot sign players for more than the mid-level exception (which is around $4.5 million, if I'm not wrong. Haven't checked the figures in a while). Of course, that money won't be enough to sign anybody worthy.

drazz wrote:No matter what, the W's need to drop some moeny from their current salary. Options there:
--BD out or restructured deal. We should be able to trade him, but will need to take on some bad salary in return.

--Foyle traded or restructured. Trace is doubtful at his price, but he might be convinced to change his pay; otherwise that's a lot of dead money for the next few years.

--Harrington traded. Should be able to get something in return, though not a top prospect/star player.

NBA contracts are guaranteed, drazz. Can't be restructured. This is not the NFL. Once the contract is signed, the team has to pay it all.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball