No move a good move?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:55 pm
The emphasis here is not about trades, but of the quiet deadline for us, good or bad, and seeing where we go from here without any new acquisitions. With a plethora of injuries, blow-out losses, and seemingly stormy journey thus far (and some fans mailing it in with our last loss) well, we’re tied—but actually hold—the 8th spot and very much in the playoff hunt, which was the basic objective from the start.

A win against the Clips this Saturday would mean a three-game winning streak, and anything can happen from there. We got our other superstar and heartbeat player back and with 1 more important missing link, who could be back as early as next Tuesday. Although we should hold-off as long as we can without Baron.

Hence, despite our record, the mission was to make the playoffs (irrespective of the record), and I still like our chances. We’re the Warriors, and I guess we were just destined to go through the roughest of seas, for nothing was going to be easy when we finally make it. It’s my wish that Lucky 13 will not be denied.

With the coming of Oracle this year, I would love to be able to say, “Do you believe me now, Trinity?”
Last edited by CjR on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:27 pm
When Charles Barkley is giving the Warriors props, they're doing something right.

Harrington and Jackson are both capable of helping THIS YEAR (without an offseason to adjust to the style). Richardson (whose, traditionally, been pretty solid) has come back in the best shape of his life. And the kids, Biedrins and Ellis, are having breakout seasons.

I love our chances at an 8th seed. If Baron Davis comes back with over 15 games left, I'll like our chances a lot more. Hell, upon Baron's return we might even catch the 7th seed, if we stay in the hunt for 8th.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:42 pm
If the Lakers continue to slide that 6th spot could be had too :!:
Unless Pippen joins them and sparks the team, HA.. NOT :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:54 pm
The Lakers have been in a slump lately. When Odom plays like sh*t from the field, the Lakers seem to struggle. Actually, one of the last three spots can be owned by the Warriors because the race is very similar. The Nuggets are 26-26, but that's because they've had some games cancelled due to their weather. They have yet to show just how deadly the 'Melo/AI duo could be. Call me crazy, but the Blazers have a shot also. They aren't too far behind. Only what? 2-3 games behind? It's a close race, but it's anyone's game until the end of the season.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:15 am
cmon!! i got a bet that the warriors would pass the lakers in the standings at some point, this is the time for it to happen
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:26 am
32 wrote:When Charles Barkley is giving the Warriors props, they're doing something right.

Harrington and Jackson are both capable of helping THIS YEAR (without an offseason to adjust to the style). Richardson (whose, traditionally, been pretty solid) has come back in the best shape of his life. And the kids, Biedrins and Ellis, are having breakout seasons.

I love our chances at an 8th seed. If Baron Davis comes back with over 15 games left, I'll like our chances a lot more. Hell, upon Baron's return we might even catch the 7th seed, if we stay in the hunt for 8th.

I agree. I loved the effort last night. Biedrins was a beast on both ends, Monta was dueling with Mike Miller, Harrington was on, J-Rich was energy and all over the place (rebound & clean-up hops) and came on scoring late. SJax was a nightmare for defenders with his shiftiness—and I love that boxer’s trot/bounce he has (reminds me of Oscar or Holyfield when they go toe-to-toe and got that bounce).

Basketball is 50% mental, and I think we'll get that needed boost.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:31 am
I like it that no trade was made. The team has got alot of good players and as always, just need to get it together. I reckon that everyone will be mostly healthy for the last month of the season and that could be what gets the team into the playoffs. The way the Lakers and Nuggets are playing lately, the team could have a chance of passing them and that would be great, a 6th seed but making the playoffs is all that matters

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:26 am
Just one thing. We need to keep in mind that this team cannot win on the road (not easily, at least). Til that happens, talking about the 6th seed is out of place...

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:09 am
xbaywarrior wrote:The Lakers have been in a slump lately. When Odom plays like sh*t from the field, the Lakers seem to struggle. Actually, one of the last three spots can be owned by the Warriors because the race is very similar. The Nuggets are 26-26, but that's because they've had some games cancelled due to their weather. They have yet to show just how deadly the 'Melo/AI duo could be. Call me crazy, but the Blazers have a shot also. They aren't too far behind. Only what? 2-3 games behind? It's a close race, but it's anyone's game until the end of the season.

I'm glad you mentioned the Nuggets. What makes them scary is that not only AI and Melo playing together, but the return of Nene. nene is playing great right now. Along with Camby inside, this team could be tough. they actually could go deep into the playoffs. Go Warriors! I'm glad J-Rich is back. This is truly his team, not Baron's.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:51 am
At the risk of sounding like a contrarian, I would rather see Nelson develop the building blocks for a franchise renewal instead of just shooting for the 8th seed in the playoffs. Instead of being giddy about beating a truly horrible Memphis team at home, I would rather see the further development of Monta, Biedrens combined with the integration of Harrington, Jackson, and Richardson into a more cohesive unit. Also, with POB now on the roster, Nelson should have the spine to sit Foyle's sorry ass permanently on the bench, and start giving the rookie some minutes. The team may make a push for the playoffs; however, it is even more important for Nelson to develop the building blocks that can possibly make this team a legitimate elite team in future years.

With Jackson's versatility to play the point and Richardson showing his grittiness by attacking the glass, this Warrior team can improve immensely, even with Baron out. Perimeter and interior defense can only improve thru coaching, player effort, and getting Foyle out of the rotation (did everyone see Gasol's dunk on Foyle?). I have been both upbeat as well as critical of this team; yet, I do see light at the end of the tunnel. If Biedrens and POB can handle the pivot, perhaps Harrington and Powell can play the power forward position. That may not be a bad rotation; it's athletic, versatile, long, and has upside. For this season (at least), Jackson, Pietrus, and Barnes can play small forward; Monta/Azubuike/Cabbage point guard; Richardson/Azubuike/Jackson at shooting guard.

A bigger question that the board has been debating a bit on is Davis. With him being injury-prone, is it wise for the team to count on him to be a building block? I love his game; however, we have yet to see him play a full season without injury. Monta, Biedrens, Harrington, Jackson appear to be our young stars with huge upside. Richardson is truly our veteran on-the-cusp-of-being-a-superstar captain. Powell and Barnes look like good role players. I know how everyone wants to get a Kevin Garnett, 'big man;' however, it may be more appropriate for the team to get another point guard with Baron's injury-prone situation.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:32 am
You make some great points, uptempo... and I would argue that Nelson HAS put the team's future ahead of this single season's ending record. Why else would he have kept playing Monta Ellis at the PG when he was averaging 4 turnovers a game? We had capable handlers who'd throw the ball away less (Baron, Dunleavy, even McLeod), but Nelly stuck with Ellis purely for development.

We lost a few close games due to some sloppy turnovers... but we're starting to see the fruits of that choice lately. Ellis has become a playmaker; a minor one, mind you, but a playmaker. He's getting exceedingly good at the screen and roll, he's not rushing the pass as often as he used to, and I'd say his fast-break decisions (which were horrendous earlier this year) are vastly improving.

Ellis is being developed RIGHT. So is Biedrins. I've confidence that Nelson will do the same with O'Bryant (definately next year... but probably a bit this year, too).

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:13 am
32 wrote:You make some great points, uptempo... and I would argue that Nelson HAS put the team's future ahead of this single season's ending record. Why else would he have kept playing Monta Ellis at the PG when he was averaging 4 turnovers a game? We had capable handlers who'd throw the ball away less (Baron, Dunleavy, even McLeod), but Nelly stuck with Ellis purely for development.

We lost a few close games due to some sloppy turnovers... but we're starting to see the fruits of that choice lately. Ellis has become a playmaker; a minor one, mind you, but a playmaker. He's getting exceedingly good at the screen and roll, he's not rushing the pass as often as he used to, and I'd say his fast-break decisions (which were horrendous earlier this year) are vastly improving.

Ellis is being developed RIGHT. So is Biedrins. I've confidence that Nelson will do the same with O'Bryant (definately next year... but probably a bit this year, too).

I agree with you both, somewhat. However, with POB, I don't see too much to develop. Gaining muscle weight is not that easy. He appears to be a high metabolism guy. I haven't seen anything that says he's got NBA caliber skills. What is his strong point? Does he have anything to offer other than height?

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:46 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:...However, with POB...What is his strong point? Does he have anything to offer other than height?

Yes, he's not Foyle!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:55 am
uptempo wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:...However, with POB...What is his strong point? Does he have anything to offer other than height?

Yes, he's not Foyle!

Not only that; he's a great learner. O'Bryant might become the most offensive savy center we've had in a long time. If the Warriors could bring back a guy like Nate Thurmond to tutor him on some offensive moves, it'd be great. He's already a shot-blocker... and his D-League stats are showing vast improvements in rebounding. That's good enough for me... for now.

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:08 pm
32 wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Yes, he's not Foyle!

Not only that; he's a great learner. O'Bryant might become the most offensive savy center we've had in a long time. If the Warriors could bring back a guy like Nate Thurmond to tutor him on some offensive moves, it'd be great. He's already a shot-blocker... and his D-League stats are showing vast improvements in rebounding. That's good enough for me... for now.

Agreed.

Also, OG Broe had described on another earlier thread how POB looked good this summer running the floor.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball