The Warriors need to make a trade

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:24 am
32 wrote:Ehhh... big men effect win/losses more than guards. Gordon and Deng are excellent players, but Gasol would make the Bulls instoppable.

PG - Chris Duhon
SG - Kirk Hinrich
SF - Andres Nocioni
PF - Pau Gasol
C - Ben Wallace

That's a championship caliber lineup. Insert Gordon and Deng for Pau... and suddenly it doesn't look so championship worthy.


Could be, could be... but that team has no bench at all. I'd go for Pau with one of them, one prospect (Thomas or Sefolosha), a pick and, if needed, Duhon. That's a lof of value... and doesn't hurt the team so much.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun May 23, 2004 9:01 am
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:39 am
Quick note on the Pistons. Rasheed Wallace was a steal and made his team mates better because of his low post game, solid defense and ability to hit a three point shot. He lead his Portland team to the infamous collapse against the hated Fakers, so he is not some journeyman. He fits in nicely with ball hog Chauncey because he does not like being the main scoring threat. Depending who we draft (oden, Durant, Noah... if we get a top three and don't make the playoffs)... maybe a Nick fazekus or DJ agustin if we do or get the 10th place finish. DJ would be a better pick if available because he would allow us to move Ellis to his more natural 2 position (see Wade and Arenas) and move BD to a PG desperate Eastern Conference team like Cleveland. Nick may have the upside of being the next David Lee (a double-double threat, good free throw shooter and player that like to bang and not hang out in the perimeter) which would compliment Biedrins and allow us trade Harrington and his no effort on rebounding or release Foyle. Note to Mullin, if we can't get DJ or Nick, pull a Phoenix and trade the pick instead of collecting more wing players or projects.

Role Player
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:08 am
32 wrote:Ehhh... big men effect win/losses more than guards. Gordon and Deng are excellent players, but Gasol would make the Bulls instoppable.

PG - Chris Duhon
SG - Kirk Hinrich
SF - Andres Nocioni
PF - Pau Gasol
C - Ben Wallace

That's a championship caliber lineup. Insert Gordon and Deng for Pau... and suddenly it doesn't look so championship worthy. Look at Detroit; they won a ring with the best frontcourt in the league (Tayshaun & the Wallace's) and suddenly everyone thinks their backcourt is f*cking amazing.

I am a Warriors fan first and foremost but the Bulls are my second team and I will be the first to say I am extremely happy they did not pull this trade off for the following reasons:

1. While Gasol is a good player, he is NOT a superstar. He is injury prone as he has missed significant time in each of the last three seasons including this one. I think he is a bit soft and while he would surely help the Bulls low-post offense, I can't see how giving up a combination of Deng, Gordon and Thomas makes the Bulls better.

2. Luol Deng is one of the most improved players in the league. He is only 21 years old and is getting better. He is an all-around player that has developed a great mid-range game and is a solid defender.

3. Ben Gordon may not have the size of most two-guards in the NBA, but his shot is lights out. He is really the only somewhat consistent scorer the Bulls have on the perimeter and he is a go to guy that plays well in the clutch.

4. If Gordon and Deng are gone, where will the scoring from the perimeter come from? Hinrich? He is not bad, but woefully inconsistent. Duhon? No chance. There is no one else.

5. Skiles coached teams have done well after the All-Star break the past two seasons. They are already 2-0 including a nice win on the road in Cleveland last night. There is such a thing as chemistry and I think the Bulls are going to peak come playoff time. Had Gasol come I do not think he would have fully fit in and understood Skiles' philosophies on both ends of the floor until next season.

6. The East is a joke and with the Bulls current roster they can make the NBA finals. They are not the favorites, but if they play well come playoff time they could definitely make it. That being said, there is no need to mortgage two young players like Gordon and Deng, or even one of them, for a guy like Gasol. The Bulls have some cap space this summer with PJ Brown's expiringt 8.6 million dollar deal as well as the Knicks likely lottery pick. Make changes after the season not during it.

All Star
Posts: 2958
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:41 am
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:22 am
32 wrote:Kidd's time as one of the league's elite is running on empty.

Giving up somebody like Jason Richardson (whose clearly got 10 years in the tank) for him wouldn't be a good trade.


I agree with 32. Kidd time is just about up. he is no longer the point guard defensive stopper he use to be. However, he is one of the greatest point guard minds to ever play the game. Jason Kidd makes everybody better. I would take him over Baron any day. Kidd seems to know how to do the right thing at the right time. But his time as an eleite point guard is just about up. I would not mortgage the future for him now. Five year ago, yes!, you bet.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:41 am
ChicagoTom wrote:1. While Gasol is a good player, he is NOT a superstar. He is injury prone as he has missed significant time in each of the last three seasons including this one. I think he is a bit soft and while he would surely help the Bulls low-post offense, I can't see how giving up a combination of Deng, Gordon and Thomas makes the Bulls better.


I wouldn't call him injury prone yet. He played 82 games his first two seasons and 80 last year, with only one year of 56 til the current season. This year he missed time due to his injury with the national team... I don't think he can be labeled as injury prone (yet)

About being soft... well, it's a physycal flaw. He has trouble with stronger players but that's not exactly being soft (although I know what you mean, but playing alongside Ben Wallace would probably help. I mean, look at his teammates in Memphis...).

ChicagoTom wrote:2. Luol Deng is one of the most improved players in the league. He is only 21 years old and is getting better. He is an all-around player that has developed a great mid-range game and is a solid defender.

3. Ben Gordon may not have the size of most two-guards in the NBA, but his shot is lights out. He is really the only somewhat consistent scorer the Bulls have on the perimeter and he is a go to guy that plays well in the clutch.


Yep. I'm sure Deng is going to be an all star sooner than later. Not so sure about Gordon (he deserved the spot this year, and still didn't get it). He's a great scorer and one of the clutchest guys of the league... but that almost empties his bag of tricks.

ChicagoTom wrote:4. If Gordon and Deng are gone, where will the scoring from the perimeter come from? Hinrich? He is not bad, but woefully inconsistent. Duhon? No chance. There is no one else.


Yeah, that would have been my main gripe with that trade. Gordon is the Bulls offense. And Deng does so many things well...

ChicagoTom wrote:5. Skiles coached teams have done well after the All-Star break the past two seasons. They are already 2-0 including a nice win on the road in Cleveland last night. There is such a thing as chemistry and I think the Bulls are going to peak come playoff time. Had Gasol come I do not think he would have fully fit in and understood Skiles' philosophies on both ends of the floor until next season.


Could be. Something like that is happening in Denver with AI.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21381
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:34 pm
Well said about Deng and Gordon. Both are very young and already doing great and should only get better. What getting Gasol would have done is make the Bulls frontline awesome! Nocioni is more than decent at SF and can score very well. Both Gasol and BWallace can rebound and block shots real well so that would have given the Bulls perhaps the best frontline in the East. A guard can be picked up easier than a big player and by getting Gasol, the Bulls would be far more attractive to free agents like Carter
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:40 pm
Once the Bulls get more offense, then we can talk about the Bulls returning to show it's peak of power. Gasol would be a great fit for the Bulls, but he ain't leaving Memphis unless they get at least Gordon or Deng in return.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:26 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Once the Bulls get more offense, then we can talk about the Bulls returning to show it's peak of power. Gasol would be a great fit for the Bulls, but he ain't leaving Memphis unless they get at least Gordon or Deng in return.


I think keeping Gasol was the right move for Memphis (even tho in our media they're getting a lot of heat for keeping him "kidnapped"). Just imagine if they get Oden in the next draft.

1.- Kyle Lowry (who was playing pretty well til his injury).
2.- Rudy Gay
3.- Mike Miller
4.- Gasol
5.- Oden

With Warrick as the 6th man... That's a playoff team. And, in a few years (and once they get a decent pg if Lowry doesn't pan out), that team may be a contender.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21381
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:24 am
TMC wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:Once the Bulls get more offense, then we can talk about the Bulls returning to show it's peak of power. Gasol would be a great fit for the Bulls, but he ain't leaving Memphis unless they get at least Gordon or Deng in return.


I think keeping Gasol was the right move for Memphis (even tho in our media they're getting a lot of heat for keeping him "kidnapped"). Just imagine if they get Oden in the next draft.

1.- Kyle Lowry (who was playing pretty well til his injury).
2.- Rudy Gay
3.- Mike Miller
4.- Gasol
5.- Oden

With Warrick as the 6th man... That's a playoff team. And, in a few years (and once they get a decent pg if Lowry doesn't pan out), that team may be a contender.



Good point and could be close to being right but things have to go their way. Gasol is unhappy right now but if that changes after the draft, the Grizz will be one of the most up and coming teams with young guys like Gay, Warrick and their draft pick (possibly Oden) around fairly young stars Gasol and MMiller. Definately a contender
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests