WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE WARRIORS?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:48 pm
TMC wrote:Let's go step by step...

ReginaldLewis wrote:1, No Jason Richardson?

Definitely. He was our best player last year... even above Baron. And we've been missing him since the beginning of the season. I think this team will be completely different when he comes back healthy again.

ReginaldLewis wrote:2. The new players are no improvement?

No. Al has been playing pretty well... he's been a bit streaky, but just look at his numbers. S-Jax is reliable. He's certainly better than Dun was for us. And Powell, in a limited role, has been a nice add-on to the trade.

Saras has been disappointing, tho. No doubt about it.

ReginaldLewis wrote:3. Nelly is no Improvement over the other Warrior coachs?

Again, no. Monty lost the team completely last season. We'd be much worse with him on board.

ReginaldLewis wrote:4. Mullin drafted poorly (POB)?

Well, the jury's still out... although it's true that I consider POB a waste of a pick and it's undeniable that POB won't add anything to the team this year.

ReginaldLewis wrote:5. Bad luck?

That could be... but not only bad luck. We just don't play enough defense and play much, much worse on the road. That's not bad luck.

ReginaldLewis wrote:One last thing. You guys love to rip Pietrus. He seems to be the new whipping boy. The new Dunleavy. I'll tell you right now. I have seen Monta and jackson make some of the dumbest, boneheaded turnovers know to man and you guys say nothing. You're still basking in the afterglow of the trade.

You know, I think MP should have a spot on the rotation, but that's all. I think he adds different things than the other players we have on the roster... but he also makes a lot of stupid mistakes. It's true that he's not the only one that makes them, but still... he's got a lot more experience than Monta, and that's why everybody expects more from him.

I pretty much agree with TMC... except for the draft picks part. Don't forget, Mully drafted Biedrins, Monta, AND Pietrus (who have all been good role players lately). O'Bryant is still a project, but if Mullin's track record is any indication, he'll be a good one.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:53 am
#32 wrote:I pretty much agree with TMC... except for the draft picks part. Don't forget, Mully drafted Biedrins, Monta, AND Pietrus (who have all been good role players lately). O'Bryant is still a project, but if Mullin's track record is any indication, he'll be a good one.

And Ike. He also drafted Ike... he's been traded only because Nellie considered he ain't ready to play big minutes. I doubt Mullin wanted to trade him.

His drafting record is pretty good, but even the best evaluators lay an egg from time to time. I think POB will be Mullin's... but time will tell.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:42 am
Let's be honest. mullin counted on POB to help THIS YEAR. Yes he's a project but I'm sure Mully did not think that he was THIS RAW. Mullin and everyone know that the Warriors are not good enough to draft projects. We need guys that can play now.

2. I never use injuries as an excusr in sports. You will always have them. Everyone has injuries in every pro sport.

3. nelly has forgotten how good Barnes and Pietrus has played for him. The new guys are getting all the playing time. Barnes and Pietrus were important cogs when the Warriors were playing well. i don't blame them for being a little down right now.

4. Jackson should be benched and Harrington needs to get his big ass on the boards more. Especially defensively. Poor Andris is out there fighting by himself until pietrus comes into the game.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:00 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:4. Jackson should be benched and Harrington needs to get his big ass on the boards more. Especially defensively. Poor Andris is out there fighting by himself until pietrus comes into the game.

I agree 100% with this statement. I think Barnes should be playing more than a guy like Jackson. I think Barnes rebounds better, shoots 3s better and overall does more little things needed for the Warriors to succeed.

My problem since the trade is that I think the new players have come in and dominated the ball way too much. The offense has been stagnant and ineffective for the most part. Too much isolation and one-on-one crap from Jackson and Harrington every game. I can understand from time to time trying to exploit matchups but nobody moves on offense as nobody makes the extra pass to find anyone open. These new guys need to learn how to play well as a team and not just as individuals.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:46 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:I never use injuries as an excusr in sports. You will always have them. Everyone has injuries in every pro sport.

You should. It's not the same having J-Rich injured than Cabakajflsajfpa. Imagine if the Cavs lose Lebron to injury or the Colts lose Payton Manning...

I mean, it's true that everybody has injuries and they're part of the game, but it's also true that having certain players injured is a big problem for those teams.

Guess that my point is that we cannot say that one team really sucks until we've seen them play with all the roster healthy.

ReginaldLewis wrote:nelly has forgotten how good Barnes and Pietrus has played for him. The new guys are getting all the playing time. Barnes and Pietrus were important cogs when the Warriors were playing well. i don't blame them for being a little down right now.

Yep, I agree. Barnes was being impressive this season... and since the trade, he's been losing minutes.

ReginaldLewis wrote:Jackson should be benched and Harrington needs to get his big ass on the boards more. Especially defensively. Poor Andris is out there fighting by himself until pietrus comes into the game.

You know, I've been saying so about Al since the trade... but Pest's stat about the boards he allows is interesting. I'll have to look more carefully at him.

About Jax... when we traded for him, I thought that he was going to come from the bench as Barnes backup, at least for the first games. The way Jax has played, I'd like to see that for a few games. Just to see what happens. I think Jax would help more coming from the bench as a 6th man...

btw, Barnes >>>>>> Pietrus
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:06 pm
Pietrus has been off his offensive game lately, but he's working hard on the boards and playing well defensively. I don't understand why Jackson is playing before him.

As for Barnes, he's fallen down the rotation dearly. His first playing time against the Bobcats was around the 4 minute mark in the 2nd quarter. Barnes has always rised to the occasion. If he's played horrible, he'd bounce back strong. I don't understand why they aren't getting the minutes they deserve.

I can tell you this though. With all the struggles, I really miss the old Jrich. I can't wait 'til he's back to his old form.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:46 am
Jackson scoring was very impressive against his old team, the Pacers. However, this guy is an absolute horrible ballhandler. I like him much better as a shooter and a finisher. Both he and Harrington have a lot of trouble when trying to drive to the basket. I think the Warriors would be better served to keep the ball out of their hands until they are ready to ccomplete the play. I didn't understand Nelly turning over the ballhandling duties to Jackson after Monta got hurt. He had a perfectly capable Azabuike to turn to.

Unfortunately, Sarunas appears so terribly slow that he can't really initate any kind of offense or guard anyone on defense. I don't care how heady you are, you still need to have some physical tools in your arsenal in todys NBA.

Another strong game for Pietrus. He knows his limitations and tries not to exceed them. I think he and Barnes work well together on the floor. If Nelly uses his new guys as a blend with the old guys I think the Warriors will be OK.

P.S. The great Kareem Abdul Jabbar was on KNBR this morning. Great interview. Question. Without looking it up, who was UCLA's starting center between Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Bill Walton?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:05 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:Question. Without looking it up, who was UCLA's starting center between Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Bill Walton?

Answer: No idea. I don't follow college games that much. Just enough to see draftables.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:51 am
TMC wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:Question. Without looking it up, who was UCLA's starting center between Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Bill Walton?

Answer: No idea. I don't follow college games that much. Just enough to see draftables.

You're an honest man TMC. This guy said after Walton's career at UCLA that he will be remebered as a grea trivia question.

All Star
Poster Credit: 8
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:21 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:
TMC wrote:

You're an honest man TMC. This guy said after Walton's career at UCLA that he will be remebered as a grea trivia question.

Steve Patterson.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:20 pm
You da man uptempo :D

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:27 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:You da man uptempo :D

Naw...I just went to many John Wooden camps as a kid.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:40 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:Let's be honest. mullin counted on POB to help THIS YEAR.

Absolutely false. Patrick O'Bryant was projected as a project. A 'long-term' project, at that. Every team in the league knew this kid needed to bulk up and hone his offense more. There's not a chance in hell that Chris Mullin expected him to be NBA ready out of the gate. The D-League was in his future from the start.

ReginaldLewis wrote:Yes he's a project but I'm sure Mully did not think that he was THIS RAW. Mullin and everyone know that the Warriors are not good enough to draft projects. We need guys that can play now.

The only other impact players on the board, at the time, were Rodney Carney and Marcus Williams. We weren't gonna take Williams (because we already have a Baron-Monta tandem at PG) and Carney was another swingman (and this team already has too many of them). The Warriors entered the draft looking for a big man (if they couldn't land Gay, which they knew they wouldn't). They left with the best center (read: not PF, like Alderige or Thomas) in the draft. It was gonna either be Sene or O'Bryant and Mullin took O'Bryant. He did the only possible thing that ever had a chance of helping the team. If O'Bryant busts, we lose nothing. If he blows up, we're solid at center (starter and backup). Win/win.

ReginaldLewis wrote:3. nelly has forgotten how good Barnes and Pietrus has played for him. The new guys are getting all the playing time. Barnes and Pietrus were important cogs when the Warriors were playing well. i don't blame them for being a little down right now.

Pietrus, maybe, but Barnes majorly fell off in the month of January. Nelly pulled on the choke-chain a little and Barnes is rebounding back into his normal form. The more consistent Barnes and Pietrus become, the more minutes they get. Besides, both of these guys still get plenty of time (considering how many players can man their positions). Both still have a role. On a team like this, that's all you need.

ReginaldLewis wrote:4. Jackson should be benched and Harrington needs to get his big ass on the boards more. Especially defensively. Poor Andris is out there fighting by himself until pietrus comes into the game.

Jackson is streaky; you bench him and you miss games like Indiana (where he dumped 36 on their heads). As far as Harrington, read Pest's stats on the guy. He's not rebounding, but he's boxing out really well. Is it any wonder that Biedrins is now grabbing 18 boards or 15 boards when Harrington plays big minutes?

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:44 pm
#32 wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:Let's be honest. mullin counted on POB to help THIS YEAR.

Absolutely false. Patrick O'Bryant was projected as a project. A 'long-term' project, at that. Every team in the league knew this kid needed to bulk up and hone his offense more. There's not a chance in hell that Chris Mullin expected him to be NBA ready out of the gate. The D-League was in his future from the start.

ReginaldLewis wrote:Yes he's a project but I'm sure Mully did not think that he was THIS RAW. Mullin and everyone know that the Warriors are not good enough to draft projects. We need guys that can play now.

The only other impact players on the board, at the time, were Rodney Carney and Marcus Williams. We weren't gonna take Williams (because we already have a Baron-Monta tandem at PG) and Carney was another swingman (and this team already has too many of them). The Warriors entered the draft looking for a big man (if they couldn't land Gay, which they knew they wouldn't). They left with the best center (read: not PF, like Alderige or Thomas) in the draft. It was gonna either be Sene or O'Bryant and Mullin took O'Bryant. He did the only possible thing that ever had a chance of helping the team. If O'Bryant busts, we lose nothing. If he blows up, we're solid at center (starter and backup). Win/win.

ReginaldLewis wrote:3. nelly has forgotten how good Barnes and Pietrus has played for him. The new guys are getting all the playing time. Barnes and Pietrus were important cogs when the Warriors were playing well. i don't blame them for being a little down right now.

Pietrus, maybe, but Barnes majorly fell off in the month of January. Nelly pulled on the choke-chain a little and Barnes is rebounding back into his normal form. The more consistent Barnes and Pietrus become, the more minutes they get. Besides, both of these guys still get plenty of time (considering how many players can man their positions). Both still have a role. On a team like this, that's all you need.

Jackson is streaky; you bench him and you miss games like Indiana (where he dumped 36 on their heads). As far as Harrington, read Pest's stats on the guy. He's not rebounding, but he's boxing out really well. Is it any wonder that Biedrins is now grabbing 18 boards or 15 boards when Harrington plays big minutes?

Reg and 32, great dialogue here.

I take a different perspective on POB; I would like to see him on the NBA team spelling Biedrens and practicing with NBA players.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:46 pm
uptempo wrote:Reg and 32, great dialogue here.

I take a different perspective on POB; I would like to see him on the NBA team spelling Biedrens and practicing with NBA players.

I think, according to his D-League stats, he probably does BETTER against NBA talent. But who knows, at this point. Like I said, kid's a LONG-TERM project.

EDIT: By the way, to those people who "don't think the kid's improving in D-League", look at the stat-line for his past 4 games:

January 27th, 12 points (55%), 6 rebounds, 3 swats, in 33 minutes
January 28th, 14 points (55%), 9 rebounds, 3 swats in 25 minutes.
January 31st, 18 points (67%), 14 rebounds, 4 swats in 29 minutes
February 2nd, 23 points (40%), 9 rebounds, 3 swats in 51 minutes... going 11/12 from the free throw line!

His overall EFF in D-League is now +15.00.

People love posting his D-League stats to knock the kid, but how about some love when he grows a little? His statistics are slowly improving, in FG%, rebounding, getting to the line, and committing less fouls (he's averaging 2.75 in the games I listed, compared to the 4.8 he was averaging in his first 6 games in D-League).

Show some love people. Seriously. Kid's growing. He'll be somebody by next season. He'll be a key role player in a few.
Last edited by 32 on Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball