WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE WARRIORS?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:40 pm
I think tonight signified the end of the Warriors playoff chances> If you can't beat Charlotte who can you beat? The Warriors are no better after the trade than before. So what is the matter with the Warriors? to get this topic started, here are a few ideas?

1, No Jason Richardson?

2. The new players are no improvement?

3. Nelly is no Improvement over the other Warrior coachs?

4. Mullin drafted poorly (POB)?

5. Bad luck?

One last thing. You guys love to rip Pietrus. He seems to be the new whipping boy. The new Dunleavy. I'll tell you right now. I have seen Monta and jackson make some of the dumbest, boneheaded turnovers know to man and you guys say nothing. You're still basking in the afterglow of the trade. I think Nelly should rely less on the new players and stick more with the players that has been with this team all season. Nore playing time for Pietrus, Barnes, and Kaleena.

Thank you from damned frustrated Warrior fan, :evil: :x :evil: :x :oops:

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:34 pm
The Warriors problems begin with the top, Cohan has no basketball experience and brought in a popular player that lacks the vision and experience to hire the right coach and bring in players that will be able to produce as a unit at the same time. Baron destroyed the Hornets and he has yet to lead the Warriors to any playoff success which is the expectation for a franchise player. Mullin signed core players (Dunleavy, Foyle, Fisher and J-Rich) but these players have never played very well as a unit and produced decent offensive numbers on losing teams. Mullin then continued to draft 3-4 projects with the ninth pick, instead of moving up and down the draft. These projects Pietrus, Biedrins, Diogu and OBryant were not in the rotation players type of players like a Granger, Luke Walton and a Brandon Roy. Instead of moving the very tradable Ellis for a help now asset, Mullin is banking that Ellis will be the next Agent Zero. Mullin for the most part has handeled the salary cap very foolishly for a team with players that can't win. We gave away salary cap freedom by gaining BD and in a year that our young trio of Pietrus, Ellis and Biedrins have shown flashes of potential we have no J-Rich. We gave away the farm to get Harrington, letting Nellie dispose of five bigs (Taft, OB, Diogu, Foyle and Murphy) in a single season. In other words, Cohan and Mullin are the NBADL for the rest of the league. Winning franchises like the Wizards, the Pacers and Mavericks have all benefited from our inability to keep our homegrown talent. Teams that will win consistently (think Jazz) will have a good combination of ball movement, solid half court defense and the ability to execute half-court offense with players that can score in the paint. The Warriors or Nellie gave up on five post players with the hope that Harrington will be the answer. If Harrington is not the answer and we don't get a top three pick, Nellie has just condemned this franchise for another 10 years.
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:57 pm
so, what is wrong? let me start off by saying that i am a pacer fan. when the trade first went down there were some warrior fans that were like "haha" and there were some that were respectful. i'm not gonna break out with the win-loss stats of both teams since the trade. i don't get it. i thought that al and jack would flourish and the warriors would be a tough team to deal with. maybe it's not time to freak out, if i were a GS fan i would give it until 10 games after the all-star break before i'd make any harsh judgements. i still wish you guys luck, and yes, we'll see you monday. when al went to atlanta he always got up for games vs. the pacers. al was the first one to drop 30 on artest when artest played for us. diogu had a good game for us tonight, monday should be a good one.
Go Colts!!!!!!! Superbowl Champs!!!!!!!

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:41 am
Golden state played against 7 teams from East from 8. Indiana - 6 from 8.

Warriors games at home - 2 from 8. Indiana - 6 from 8.

Overall teams' records before playing @ Warriors - 154:186 45,3 %.
Overall teams' records before playing @ Indiana - 157:187 45,6 %.

Overall teams' records after playing @ Warriors (including results @ Warriors)- 173:203 46 %.
Overall teams' records after playing @ Indiana (including results @ Indiana) - 174:203 46,2 %.

Teams' records after playing @ Warriors - 13:13 50 %.
Teams' records after playing @ Indiana - 14:10 58,3 %.

Both teams had about the same opponents regarding their combined records before (almost all teams were from pathetic East) before Golden state and Pacers. 1:1. Warriors played only 2 games at home, Pacers - 6. 2:1. it's an advantage for Pacers. But teams, which played @ Pacers, had a better record after. So relatively Pacers opponents played a better basketball at the moment they played @ Indiana and after. 2:2.

And we come to the record - Warriors - 3:5 37,5 %
Indiana - 6:2 75 %

So, Indiana is doing well after the trade, while Golden state not.

Indiana 1
Warriors 0
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:43 am
Let's go step by step...

ReginaldLewis wrote:1, No Jason Richardson?

Definitely. He was our best player last year... even above Baron. And we've been missing him since the beginning of the season. I think this team will be completely different when he comes back healthy again.

ReginaldLewis wrote:2. The new players are no improvement?

No. Al has been playing pretty well... he's been a bit streaky, but just look at his numbers. S-Jax is reliable. He's certainly better than Dun was for us. And Powell, in a limited role, has been a nice add-on to the trade.

Saras has been disappointing, tho. No doubt about it.

ReginaldLewis wrote:3. Nelly is no Improvement over the other Warrior coachs?

Again, no. Monty lost the team completely last season. We'd be much worse with him on board.

ReginaldLewis wrote:4. Mullin drafted poorly (POB)?

Well, the jury's still out... although it's true that I consider POB a waste of a pick and it's undeniable that POB won't add anything to the team this year.

ReginaldLewis wrote:5. Bad luck?

That could be... but not only bad luck. We just don't play enough defense and play much, much worse on the road. That's not bad luck.

ReginaldLewis wrote:One last thing. You guys love to rip Pietrus. He seems to be the new whipping boy. The new Dunleavy. I'll tell you right now. I have seen Monta and jackson make some of the dumbest, boneheaded turnovers know to man and you guys say nothing. You're still basking in the afterglow of the trade.

You know, I think MP should have a spot on the rotation, but that's all. I think he adds different things than the other players we have on the roster... but he also makes a lot of stupid mistakes. It's true that he's not the only one that makes them, but still... he's got a lot more experience than Monta, and that's why everybody expects more from him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:45 am
Pitons wrote:So, Indiana is doing well after the trade, while Golden state not.

I don't care about the records. The trade was positive for us and terrible for Indy, even if only for the contracts traded. Now we have the chance to make some moves and re-sign our young guys...
Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:53 am
What is wrong with the Warriors?? A couple of things.......

1. Don't be suprised if the Masons show up in the locker room demanding membership dues! You can only lay so many bricks without being a paying member.

The warriors are shooting less than 20% behind the arc for the past few games. As good of a point guard as Baron Davis is... he is a liability behind the arc. Baron is shooting 27% from 3 pt range this season and needs a shooting guard and a small forward who AT LEAST shoot a respectable percentage on the court with him. The majority of minutes at those two positions are filled by Monta Ellis who is even worse at 26% and Steven Jackson who granted is shooting 38% with the warriors so far, but that is going down with each game and he is only 30% from behind the line for the season. Additionally, Jackson does not rebound well at all for his size, position, and minutes played.
Ellis has pretty much been found out as a one trick pony, he can make layups as well as anyone... but that is basically all he can do. Now that the scouting report on him says: play off him 5-6 feet and take away his drive to the hoop and watch him lay brick after brick because he is going to take his shots... and he shoots about 30% or less if you keep him at least 10 feet from the basket(last second game winning shot the other night notwithstanding).
The numbers say that Azubuike at SG and Pietrus at SF would be much, much better.

Problem 2:

The W's have basically NO backup Center, PF, or PG. We have Beidrins, Harrington(who is playing well), and BD... and anyone off the bench for them is just.... less than good.

What we do have is a whole big bunch of Shooting Guards and Small Forwards that could be traded to get some decent backups where we are lacking.

If we could trade Foyle(if anyone would take him), cabbage, and any 1 or 2 of Jackson, Barnes, Pietrus, Ellis, or Richardson(people seem to really want his 37% overall and 29% 3pt shooting back) for at least a decent backup center and pf it would be great.. if we could get a decent backup PG as well it would be a bonus... the Warriors would have to be better off.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:18 am
TMC wrote:
Pitons wrote:So, Indiana is doing well after the trade, while Golden state not.

I don't care about the records. The trade was positive for us and terrible for Indy, even if only for the contracts traded. Now we have the chance to make some moves and re-sign our young guys...

Ye, I forgot about contracts.

Indiana 1
Warriors 1

:wink:

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:24 am
TMC wrote:Let's go step by step...

Definitely. He was our best player last year... even above Baron. And we've been missing him since the beginning of the season. I think this team will be completely different when he comes back healthy again.

Richardson was a beast last year, but in his first 23 games this season he didn't look good to me :roll:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:06 am
Pitons wrote:

Richardson was a beast last year, but in his first 23 games this season he didn't look good to me :roll:

Yeah, well... maybe playing injured had something to do with it...

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:39 am
AzubuikeFan wrote:What is wrong with the Warriors?? A couple of things.......

1. Don't be suprised if the Masons show up in the locker room demanding membership dues! You can only lay so many bricks without being a paying member.

The warriors are shooting less than 20% behind the arc for the past few games. As good of a point guard as Baron Davis is... he is a liability behind the arc. Baron is shooting 27% from 3 pt range this season and needs a shooting guard and a small forward who AT LEAST shoot a respectable percentage on the court with him. The majority of minutes at those two positions are filled by Monta Ellis who is even worse at 26% and Steven Jackson who granted is shooting 38% with the warriors so far, but that is going down with each game and he is only 30% from behind the line for the season. Additionally, Jackson does not rebound well at all for his size, position, and minutes played.
Ellis has pretty much been found out as a one trick pony, he can make layups as well as anyone... but that is basically all he can do. Now that the scouting report on him says: play off him 5-6 feet and take away his drive to the hoop and watch him lay brick after brick because he is going to take his shots... and he shoots about 30% or less if you keep him at least 10 feet from the basket(last second game winning shot the other night notwithstanding).
The numbers say that Azubuike at SG and Pietrus at SF would be much, much better.

Problem 2:

The W's have basically NO backup Center, PF, or PG. We have Beidrins, Harrington(who is playing well), and BD... and anyone off the bench for them is just.... less than good.

What we do have is a whole big bunch of Shooting Guards and Small Forwards that could be traded to get some decent backups where we are lacking.

If we could trade Foyle(if anyone would take him), cabbage, and any 1 or 2 of Jackson, Barnes, Pietrus, Ellis, or Richardson(people seem to really want his 37% overall and 29% 3pt shooting back) for at least a decent backup center and pf it would be great.. if we could get a decent backup PG as well it would be a bonus... the Warriors would have to be better off.

I agree with for the most part, especially what you said about Jackson. He plays way under the rim for a guy that is 6'8". Barnes and Pietrus needs to play more at thtat position,

I disagree about Monta. He has a good pull-up jumper. He, Baron, and Kaleena are the only ones on the team that can shoot that particular shot. I see too much Gilbert Arenas in Monta to let him go. By all cost we should keep him.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:50 am
AzubuikeFan wrote:What is wrong with the Warriors?? A couple of things.......

1. Don't be surprised if the Masons show up in the locker room demanding membership dues! You can only lay so many bricks without being a paying member.

Ellis has pretty much been found out as a one trick pony, he can make layups as well as anyone... but that is basically all he can do.

That's funny! And, it is true.

However, the Masons took pride in their superior brickwork and it is more likely that they would make the Ws get into some apprentice program.

Right now, the walls against success are being layed by our two most heralded players, Davis and Ellis. You just cannot have your guards throwing up a zillion shots that nobody thinks are going in.

The defenses can lay back and clog the middle. This cuts off the passing lanes and limits the offense of the other players. It leads to the other Ws having to shoot their own forced threes rather than getting easier shots inside off of cuts and screens.

It eliminates many offensive rebounds and makes it easier for the other team to run their own fast breaks. Clogged lanes lead to turnovers as passes are forced into nonexistent lanes or the Ws try to drive through the entire defense and get stripped. Their cries for fouls go unanswered.

I think this is demoralizing for the other Warrior players and leads to some of the puzzling lack of effort games. It doesn't matter how many points you make if you allow the other team to make more.

This, and the truly disgraceful free throw shooting, is really the theme in most Warrior losses.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:41 pm
Rebounding.

Thats pretty much the reason for the last 3 losses.
You can't win when you give your opponents 2 and 3 shots per possession.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:57 pm
Pitons wrote:

maybe because he was uber injured :roll:
ImageImage
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:09 pm
Well we seem to forget that there is still half a season left to go.

It's not like were completely out of it yet. Although I do believe this team is playing unmotivated. I dont see any heart in the Warriors with exception of BD and Big Al.

We need to get our **** together. Were losing to the Hawks, Bobcats, and Lebron-less Cavs??? Come on. Earlier in the year we beat San Antonio and I believe Dallas. Two beasts in the West. Granted were away these last few games, but talent-wise were better than all the teams on this road-trip.

We need to start on Monday with a new mindset and a new look. We need to get on a roll or the streak will rise to 13.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball