Be honest. Are the Warriors making the playoffs?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:02 am
coltraning wrote:still too soon to perform the last rites. Ws are 2.5 games out.

My thoughts exactly. This team wins and loses in spurts. Another winning streak and they're back in it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:44 am
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:I would keep Harrington, bro. He is averaging 23 a game with Ws, and it looks like he is capable of that most nights. I agree there is a logjam at SF, and I would bet Pietrus will be moved.

Yeah, I'd also keep Harrington. Although I'm not sure Pietrus will be moved. Depends on his demands to re-sign. He's the one I'd move without any kind of doubt (because I don't think S-Jax will go anywhere), but I'm not sure the front office thinks the same.

I agree. Pietrus is (and I know this is a loaded word) an amazing athlete, with huge hops and terrifying speed, but he really doesn't seem sharp basketball wise. At one point 2 years ago, I thought he was going to turn into a lockdown defender, but that hasn't happened. He shoots streaky 3s, has zero handles, makes awful passes and is a chronic charging foul. Both Sjax and Jrich are much smarter and well-rounded players. Jackson has been a consistent #3 option wherever he has been and isa good defender. JRich also plays some good d, is a good boarder and was, only a year ago, giving ws 23.5 a game. I actually think they will move Pietrus, and I would not be shocked if it happens prior to the break. However, they may want to wait and see if Jrich comes back 100% first.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:57 am
coltraning wrote:I agree. Pietrus is (and I know this is a loaded word) an amazing athlete, with huge hops and terrifying speed, but he really doesn't seem sharp basketball wise. At one point 2 years ago, I thought he was going to turn into a lockdown defender, but that hasn't happened. He shoots streaky 3s, has zero handles, makes awful passes and is a chronic charging foul. Both Sjax and Jrich are much smarter and well-rounded players. Jackson has been a consistent #3 option wherever he has been and isa good defender. JRich also plays some good d, is a good boarder and was, only a year ago, giving ws 23.5 a game. I actually think they will move Pietrus, and I would not be shocked if it happens prior to the break. However, they may want to wait and see if Jrich comes back 100% first.

Pietrus is tricky. It's not only that we may not be sure if we should trade him or re-sign him... is that other teams will face those same doubts while talking trades for him. I honestly don't know what value he has around the league.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:35 pm
TMC wrote:Pietrus is tricky. It's not only that we may not be sure if we should trade him or re-sign him... is that other teams will face those same doubts while talking trades for him. I honestly don't know what value he has around the league.

I knew, going into this year, that Pietrus' numbers would be better. He'd be playing exactly the same, no matter if Nelson or Montgomery were coaching the team. It's his contract year.

That being said, I think he'll set back next year, so giving him a big contract wouldn't be smart. I think a 3-year deal, worth roughly 5-7 mil a season, would do.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:56 pm
On the bright side, we can blame this year's mid season blow up on injury (J-Rich), a mid-season trade, and inexperience (Ellis and Biedrins). Mark Cuban is looking like a genius for bailing on Nellie, and Mullie should be on the hot season for this dismal roster ... which we all thought before Biedrins and Ellis flourished in the early season. The number one reason why we won't make the playoffs is that the fricking Clippers are last in the league in three point attempts. It is absolutely frustrating to see this talented and athletic squad shoot brick after brick, when the well-coached teams (Phoenix, San Antonio, Fakers, Utah and Clips) execute the low post and mid-range game to perfection. The Warriors plan B, should be to exile as much salary as possible (ie BD), not resign a single free agent, trade away Ellis and Foyle for a defensive minded PG like Watson, and build upon a half court mentality around J-Rich and Biedrins, our only good rebounders. I would take a pass on Pietrus for any amount unless we can land a low post banger like Randolph.. maybe Magloire in return. Pietrus is more interested in show casing his offense arsenal than helping the Warriors win with defense and rebounding.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:50 pm
dareedle wrote:On the bright side, we can blame this year's mid season blow up on injury (J-Rich), a mid-season trade, and inexperience (Ellis and Biedrins). Mark Cuban is looking like a genius for bailing on Nellie, and Mullie should be on the hot season for this dismal roster ... which we all thought before Biedrins and Ellis flourished in the early season. The number one reason why we won't make the playoffs is that the fricking Clippers are last in the league in three point attempts. It is absolutely frustrating to see this talented and athletic squad shoot brick after brick, when the well-coached teams (Phoenix, San Antonio, Fakers, Utah and Clips) execute the low post and mid-range game to perfection. The Warriors plan B, should be to exile as much salary as possible (ie BD), not resign a single free agent, trade away Ellis and Foyle for a defensive minded PG like Watson, and build upon a half court mentality around J-Rich and Biedrins, our only good rebounders. I would take a pass on Pietrus for any amount unless we can land a low post banger like Randolph.. maybe Magloire in return. Pietrus is more interested in show casing his offense arsenal than helping the Warriors win with defense and rebounding.

You make some good points with your comments; however, Mullin and Nelson will not ever be on the hot seat until we (the Bay Area fans and media) hold them accountable for their actions. Nelson's hiring was a desperation move by an overmatched Mullin who could not make the upgraded roster improvements that he had promised to do in the off season. By obfuscating his ineptness with the hiring of Nelson, Mullin bought himself some time until the team struggled in the early season. Mullin rectified some of his earlier mistakes by trading Murphy and Dunleavy away; however, there was a reason why Cuban and Nelson had a falling out: Don Nelson does not build championship teams. Don Nelson builds entertaining teams. Cuban wants to win a championship. Defense and good inside play wins championships. Miami, San Antonio, and Detroit have won by playing defense and having an inside presence.

This Warrior team will entertain us. This Warrior team has good athletes on the roster; however, this Warrior team is not built to win a championship.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:24 pm
You guys are to hard on Pietrus. Pound for pound he is the best rebounder on the team, and that includes the new guys. Pietrus is not paid to be a great ballhandler. Stephen Jackson is not to much better. Harrington should be a lot better rebounder with his length. Pietrus is one of the real tough guys on the team. He also has a great attitude and great personality. Monta gets twice as many charging calls at Pietrus. Pietrus is anot the reason why the Warriors are losing. Nelly loves him, so who is right, you guys or Nelly?

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:32 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:You guys are to hard on Pietrus. Pound for pound he is the best rebounder on the team, and that includes the new guys. Pietrus is not paid to be a great ballhandler. Stephen Jackson is not to much better. Harrington should be a lot better rebounder with his length. Pietrus is one of the real tough guys on the team. He also has a great attitude and great personality. Monta gets twice as many charging calls at Pietrus. Pietrus is anot the reason why the Warriors are losing. Nelly loves him, so who is right, you guys or Nelly?

Air France is a tough defender, good rebounder, good spot shooter out of the corners, good finisher on the break, good slasher, but also a poor ball handler.

I don't blame the Warrior problems on Pietrus. If anything, he would excel even more so if the team played man, instead of zone, defense.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:51 pm
uptempo wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:You guys are to hard on Pietrus. Pound for pound he is the best rebounder on the team, and that includes the new guys. Pietrus is not paid to be a great ballhandler. Stephen Jackson is not to much better. Harrington should be a lot better rebounder with his length. Pietrus is one of the real tough guys on the team. He also has a great attitude and great personality. Monta gets twice as many charging calls at Pietrus. Pietrus is anot the reason why the Warriors are losing. Nelly loves him, so who is right, you guys or Nelly?

Air France is a tough defender, good rebounder, good spot shooter out of the corners, good finisher on the break, good slasher, but also a poor ball handler.

I don't blame the Warrior problems on Pietrus. If anything, he would excel even more so if the team played man, instead of zone, defense.

He needs to develop his mid-range shooting. He doesn't have one. He shoots from one particular spot on the floor which is that corner three, but other than that, he'd only drive it when he sees an open opportunity. If MP can justify his mid-range shot and free throws, he'd be a stud in my books. Ball handling, passing, all that can be developed later. He's shown he likes to shoot the long ball, now it's time he shows he can shoot the short ones.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:18 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:
uptempo wrote:

He needs to develop his mid-range shooting. He doesn't have one. He shoots from one particular spot on the floor which is that corner three, but other than that, he'd only drive it when he sees an open opportunity. If MP can justify his mid-range shot and free throws, he'd be a stud in my books. Ball handling, passing, all that can be developed later. He's shown he likes to shoot the long ball, now it's time he shows he can shoot the short ones.

You made some very good points exbay. Pietrus needs to become more well rounded. However, if the rest of tthe team played with the passion that Pietrus does, we definitely would be talking about the playoffs.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:07 am
Back to the playoffs topic, don't look now, but the Hornets are having their key guys back from injury, have won 4 of the last 5 and are just 2 games behind Minny.

We're not alone in that race with the Clips anymore...

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:13 pm
Sorry to say, but for me it doesn't seem, that this team is able to reach playoffs. Simply - there is too little input from bench. It seems, like Warriors want to win it all with starters (last game (with 76's) only 3 bench players were used). In the end of the season starters will run out of gas (or even worse - they receive injuries because of overplaying). And even if they reach playoffs, which recourses they can use, when other teams actually are starting to play the starters for the most part of the game?
I understand, that the coach in this win-or-die race can't do much else and experiment with first/second unit lineups (first is actually fine, but no second unit). But, imho, this is a simple no-win sithuation.
I hope, that this sithuation lasts only because of gelling process and soon the team will play much better.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:27 am
DeS wrote:Sorry to say, but for me it doesn't seem, that this team is able to reach playoffs. Simply - there is too little input from bench.

I don't think that's the case. We have a more than decent bench. Keep in mind that Monta will be coming from the bench once J-Rich comes back... and we have a lot of options at SG and SF from the bench, players like Barnes and Azubuike that have already proven they're good enough to play in the NBA.

On the other side, Saras has been disappointing so far (and I'm not sure if that will change) and we're extremely thin inside...

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:39 am
Jackson and Al are usually in love with their shot. And that's bad. That means, they can win the game alone, but can loose alone also. Every player has bad and good nights. Best players don't have many bad nights. And even if best player has a bad night, he should be on the bench. That's a coach decision.

Al had +10 eff points in 35,5 min
Jack - +4 in 36,5

Their opp. - + 35 in 46,5 min + 17 in 34,5 min.

They were the reasons Warriors lost.

I can't understand why Al shoots as much as he wants and is hurting the team and coach does nothing. In my team I would rather let play young guys instead.

BTW, Al 1 game + 11 in 38 min. Bad
2 game +28 in 43,5 min. Very good
3 game +28 in 35 min. Extremely good
4 game +29 in 29 min. Extremely good
5 game +14 in 36 min. Good
6 game +20 in 35,5 min. Very good
7 game +6 in 31 min. Very Bad
8 game +10 in 35 min. Bad

Overall: Good +

Jack 1 game + 23 in 49 min. Good
2 game + 9 in 35 min. Bad
3 game + 4 in 26 min. Very bad
4 game + 22 in 27,5 min. Extremely good
5 game + 2 in 23,5 min. Horrible
6 game + 13 in 35 min. Good
7 game +14 in 38 min. Good
8 game +4 in 36,5 min. Extremely bad

Overall: Bad +

Al, with his status, should play very good. He's near. But Jack. He's just horrible imo.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:01 am
BTW, Sarunas eff.:

1 game 13 in 21 min Very good (near extremely good)
2 game 1 in 11 min Horrible
3 game 4 in 13,5 min Bad
4 game 3 in 13,5 min Bad
5 game -3 in 8,5 min Just horrible
6 game 4 in 12 min Bad (towards good)

Overall: Bad -
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball