I can see more trades made before deadline

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:38 am
With the recent awesome trade that mullin pulled off the warriors have improved their roster but created some problems at the same time.

Assuming that Harrington takes the starting spot at PF it only leaves Barnes as a undersized and inconsistent backup.

Biedrins starts at Center and we only have Foyle and POB as backups.

We have a real glut at SF/SG with Jrich, Ellis, Azubuike, Pietrus, and Jackson and at SF Barnes and Powell could also play.

I could see Mullins packaging one or more of the many players in that group (possibly Jrich or Jackson) along with Foyle for an upgraded backup center and backup PF.

I'm obviously an Azubuike fan and I think what makes Nelly so high on the kid is that unlike Barnes who can play 30 mins and score 30+ pts one night and 5 points in the same minutes the next, Azubuike is very very consistent in production and shooting percentages based on the number of minutes played. He is also currently 2nd in the NBA in 3pt percentage behind Jason Kapono and that isn't a fluke, he was shooting around 50% thru 12 games in the Dleague before his callup too. As the roster stands now he is really the only consistent 3pt shooter on the team and that isn't even normally his strong suit. I've followed the kid since he was in HS and the bulk of his points have always come as a slasher and he while he is slowly adjusting to taking it to the hoop in the NBA, you haven't really seen what he is capable of yet. He will continue to improve in that area and will get his overall FG% back up close to 50% as he does. He has shot around 50% overall at every level at which he has played and just needs more time to get there. As it stands, he has very similar stats to Jrich, Jackson, and Ellis but shoots higher percentages and turns the ball over less and at minimum salary... at least for this season.

Back on topic though, I think that more trades may come before the deadline. The Ws have enough players at SG/SF that they could possibly package 1 or 2 along with Foyle and bring in upgrades for backup Center and PF. Detroit comes to mind as a team that has a glut of those players since they signed webber.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:12 am
AzubuikeFan wrote:Back on topic though, I think that more trades may come before the deadline. The Ws have enough players at SG/SF that they could possibly package 1 or 2 along with Foyle and bring in upgrades for backup Center and PF. Detroit comes to mind as a team that has a glut of those players since they signed webber.

Yeah, according to the rumor mill, we're interested in Nazr Mohammed. I'd like to have him, but don't know what Detroit would want for him... In fact, I'm not sure I'd touch this team now. Let's wait and see how they fare before tinkering with the roster.

Return to Warriors Basketball