BIG TRADE! Bye-bye Murphy. Bye-bye Dunleavy.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:44 am
Imagine a world without Mike Dunleavy. And Troy Murphy. Yes. That world it a reality. To wit (from ESPN):

The Golden State Warriors have agreed to trade Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Ike Diogu and Keith McLeod to the Indiana Pacers for Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Josh Powell, NBA front-office sources tell ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2733891

So, we lost Ike. That sucks. Pretty bad. And Stephen Jackson is CRRRAZZZY. But this, certainly is interesting. Thoughts?

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:52 am
If this is true, I gotta give my props to Mullin. The Warriors just got a heck of a lot more athletic.

Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson can play multiple positions and Jasikevicius (can anyone pronounce his name correctly?) is a legitimate point guard. Josh Powell can play well in spurts.

These are Don Nelson type of players (read: Very athletic!).

Good move Chris Mullin!

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:55 am
No Ike Diogu!!! Why did we have to get rid of him??? Who has expiring contracts from what we're getting???

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:56 am
Ok, couple thoughts:

W's losses:

-Mike Dunleavy: Overpaid, mediocre, needs a shot elsewhere & needed to be traded. Hooray for us. Hooray for him. Cavaet emptor to the Pacers
-Troy Murphy: Just playing terribly. Doesn't fit in our system. Just getting worse. Overpaid, mediocre, needs a shot elsewhere. Sound familiar?
-Ike: Sad times. But Nelly wasn't playing him. I just hope he doesn't become one of those Arenas guys (ex-Warriors who we all know will be ridiculously good somewhere else & make the W's look completely retarded)
-Keith McLeod: Who? Whatever.

W's gains:
-Al Harrington: We wanted him over the summer & this is a better scenario because we dump our two great white hypes. Think he'll fit into the Nelson system too. Erratic, but so was everyone they traded.
-Stephen Jackson: Shithouse crazy but a change of scenery will help...for a bit. Let's hope he doesn't punch anyone while we watch. Good player; headcase; think having Nelly around will really and truly help rein him in.
-Sarunas Jasikevicius: Better than you think. Shoots 90 on his FTs too.
Josh Powell: Who? Whatever.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:57 am
Uptempo: I agree. Losing Ike hurts, but this is a GREAT trade. Same sort of move wherein we got BD. Lose a little, gain a lot. We'll be better for it.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:03 pm
I hate losing Ike, too. He may become a monster player in Indiana; however, if the team is going to keep Don Nelson as the coach, then Ike had to go.

Others on this board had suggested that Ike should be traded earlier in the season because of Nelson's uptempo style of play. I agreed with the analysis, but still wanted to keep Ike.

Mullin made the merceneary front office move. We shoud applaud Mullin for getting Nelson the types of players that should thrive on a Nelson coached team. It is much like Al Davis junking the strong-armed Jeff George and picking up Rich Gannon for Jon Gruden.

Mullin just redeemed himself with this trade!

Go Warriors!

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:09 pm
Birdmonster wrote: ...
W's gains:
-Al Harrington: We wanted him over the summer & this is a better scenario because we dump our two great white hypes. Think he'll fit into the Nelson system too. Erratic, but so was everyone they traded.
-Stephen Jackson: Shithouse crazy but a change of scenery will help...for a bit. Let's hope he doesn't punch anyone while we watch. Good player; headcase; think having Nelly around will really and truly help rein him in.
-Sarunas Jasikevicius: Better than you think. Shoots 90 on his FTs too.
Josh Powell: Who? Whatever.

I don't think that Nelson will rein anyone in. If anything, Nelson will give the guy the green light to light it up.

Great athletes love to play for Don Nelson.

Guys, this trade is the best move that Mullin has made since taking over for Saint Jean.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 pm
This is a bold, but excellent trade by Chris Mullin.

Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, and Ike Diogu were all given opportunities this year, but failed to establish themselves a role players in Nelly's system. That won't be the case with the players Mullin's aquired.

Al Harrington immediately solves our need for a power forward. In a Nelly-ball system, he can handle the rock, shoot from the outside, AND run the floor (along with his usual slasher game). Baron just got another weapon. Expect Big Al's scoring numbers to increase back up to 18 PPG.

Stephen Jackson is a nuts-on shooter. Yes, the guy can defend well. Yes, the guys handles may be a tad shaky. But the guy is another lights out shooter on the perimeter. So far this year, Pietrus and Barnes have looked fabulous. Jackson will take it to another level.

The other two are fillers. Jas____ is a great shooter, with average point guard skills. Getting rid of Murphy and Dunleavy's contracts are an insane bonus.

I know the Pacers are getting Ike Diogu, but they're eating A LOT of crap with this trade just to get a guy who'll play behind their franchise player. Good trade Mully.

SO LONG, DUN-DUN!!!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:18 pm
Looks good on paper for us, but there are several factors to ponder:

1.- We get no cap relief. We traded two bad contracts for two bad contracts (although Harrington and Jackson will probably contribute more).

2.- The rest of the trade is one bum for another (McLeod for Powell) and Ike (now we have an explanation as to why he didn't play) for Saras... which, even tho I like Saras, is a coup for Indy.

Jasikevicius is good player, tho. Not much defense (well, none at all), but he's already the best shooter of the team.

Seems like a trade done to get to the playoffs this season. Probably orchestrated by Nellie (I think so after what he's been saying lately) and not Mullin.

Overall, we're a better team now. Harrington is better than Murphy and Jackson is better than Dunleavy, that much is pretty clear (and they fit better Nellie's style). As to who will end up with the shortest end of the deal, we'll have to wait to see how Ike develops there.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:20 pm
#32 wrote:This is a bold, but excellent trade by Chris Mullin.

Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, and Ike Diogu were all given opportunities this year, but failed to establish themselves a role players in Nelly's system. That won't be the case with the players Mullin's aquired.

Al Harrington immediately solves our need for a power forward. In a Nelly-ball system, he can handle the rock, shoot from the outside, AND run the floor (along with his usual slasher game). Baron just got another weapon. Expect Big Al's scoring numbers to increase back up to 18 PPG.

Stephen Jackson is a nuts-on shooter. Yes, the guy can defend well. Yes, the guys handles may be a tad shaky. But the guy is another lights out shooter on the perimeter. So far this year, Pietrus and Barnes have looked fabulous. Jackson will take it to another level.

The other two are fillers. Jas____ is a great shooter, with average point guard skills. Getting rid of Murphy and Dunleavy's contracts are an insane bonus.

I know the Pacers are getting Ike Diogu, but they're eating A LOT of crap with this trade just to get a guy who'll play behind their franchise player. Good trade Mully.

SO LONG, DUN-DUN!!!

This bold move puts this franchise right back into the thick of the playoff chase.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:24 pm
TMC wrote:Looks good on paper for us, but there are several factors to ponder:

1.- We get no cap relief. We traded two bad contracts for two bad contracts (although Harrington and Jackson will probably contribute more).

2.- The rest of the trade is one bum for another (McLeod for Powell) and Ike (now we have an explanation as to why he didn't play) for Saras... which, even tho I like Saras, is a coup for Indy.

Well, sure, as far as promising youngsters, we got the shaft.

But Chris Mullin just took those two big contracts that a couple underachievers had and put them on productive players. It's like trading Adonal Foyle for Nazr Mohammed. Yes, it's a big contract... but its the same size as the one we were previously paying to those streaky suckers.

Murphy and Dunleavy for Harrinton and Jackson is an absolute steal (and, really, that was the meat of the trade). Diogu will be a good player, but he won't start in Indiana either. Harring and Jackson round out Golden State's starting lineup into a near-all-star looking cast (when healthy):

PG - Baron Davis / Sarunas Jasikevicius
SG - Jason Richardson / Monta Ellis
SF - Stephen Jackson / Mickael Pietrus / Matt Barnes
PF - Al Harrington / Josh Powell
C - Andris Biedrins / Adonal Foyle

Dude, I'm salivating just LOOKING at that. The guys I put in bold can play multiple positions, so they'll get a lotta tick, no matter what. What an insanely versatile lineup!
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:36 pm
#32 wrote:Harrington and Jackson round out Golden State's starting lineup into a near-all-star looking cast (when healthy):

PG - Baron Davis
SG - Jason Richardson
SF - Stephen Jackson
PF - Al Harrington
C - Andris Biedrins

Dude, I'm salivating just LOOKING at that.

To me, the best part of the trading is getting rid of Murphy and Dunleavy. At least S-Jax and Al, even tho overpaid, will contribute more. Saras will give us a reliable backup PG.

I'm just worried about Stephen Jackson ending in jail before playing a game for the W's (I'm not joking. He's crazy on a Ron Artest level and we all know it can happen).

Also, I'm curious to see how Al adapts to play for Nellie. He was friggin awful (some great games, but a burden in others, and just 6 boards per game as their starting PF) in Indy, but I think he suits our style better. I just hope he doesn't become a black hole on offense.

btw, I'd rather see this team:

PG - Baron Davis / Saras
SG - Jason Richardson / Ellis
SF - Pietrus / Jackson
PF - Al Harrington / Barnes
C - Andris Biedrins / Foyle

btw (Part Deux), it's in the W's page now:

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/Warriors_Acquire_Harrington_Jackson.html

EDIT: The more I look at the trade, the more I like it. I hate losing Ike, but if he wasn't going to play, it's better this way.

I just wonder... how can Indy tell their fans they have just traded for Mike Dunleavy AND Troy Murphy? :mrgreen:
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:41 pm
Mullin finally called in his chips and traded away his second and third piece of his free- agent blunders. Diogu was an undersized power forward who has not improved since his freshman year at Arizona State in terms of basketball IQ. We basically got Harrington for Murphy and Diogu (as trade bait) and the Dunleavy departure was inevitable but a year early and out of conference. Of the players we lost, Dunleavy was the only player that contributed to the Warriors success despite our massive injuries. This is shakeup is a committment to Nellie and having a middle of the road 8-10th place team. We traded away bad contracts for more bad contracts and our strategy of landing a premier player with lots of mediocre players has proven pitiful at best. Jackson and Harrington should flourish with the Nellie system and have much better trade value than Dunleavy, Murphy or Diogu. Unfortunately, all this trade does is decrease our chances of landing a great low post stud like Ogden and does not free up a single penny to resign either Pietrus, Biedrins or Ellis.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:46 pm
yooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:53 pm
LOL.

Wasn't a couple months ago while preseason with speculation of Al Harrington coming to the Warriors and people were shitbagging the idea talking about how great Diogu, Murphy was compared to Harrington? Well personally, I've always been a fan of Harrington so this is a great trade for us and a horrible trade for them.
New. Stuff.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball