THE LATEST ON POB

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:57 am
O.G. broe wrote:Nellie hates rookies & POB is a rookie/project 'Big' in a man's world :!: He gained some NBA experience this year on the court, in practice and also behind the scene private workout's, he has impressed and disappointed so now Mullin & Nellie thought it was best for his development to play consistent Minutes in the NBDL & work on his game rather than sit on the bench and spectate... His #'s will continue to go up, currently he is avg 2.14 blk's and started in only 6 game's, The team is in last place with a whopping record of 7-15 ...
Bottom line and this should be expected is POB was a risk/high reward pick, I think he will respond & further develop, Stay tuned...

What Nellie dislikes is guys who can't play up to his standards. In Dallas, Josh Howard started his first regular season game as a Mav, as did Devin Harris, his first year. Marquis Daniels got substantial playing time as a rookie toward the end of his first year.

Nelson plays guys who can play and sits guys who can't play, when he has a choice. Devin Harris started his first few games and then was benched when he proved to not be ready. This was the year Cuban didn't re-sign Nash and Nelson had few options at PG.

POB will get the chance when he's ready.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:28 am
I can't hate on projects; Biedrins was one, Pietrus was one, Monta was (briefly) one, Ike still is one... and O'Bryant is one. I think they all have major talent.

Biedrins was one of the very few projects that ever panned out. Ike was NOT a project. if somebody is NBA ready and doesn't play that doesn't make them a project. Pietrus has barely improved from year one to year three or four. Monta was the same deal as Ike, he was only considered a project because he didn't get minutes.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
I can't hate on projects; Biedrins was one, Pietrus was one, Monta was (briefly) one, Ike still is one... and O'Bryant is one. I think they all have major talent.

Biedrins was one of the very few projects that ever panned out. Ike was NOT a project. if somebody is NBA ready and doesn't play that doesn't make them a project. Pietrus has barely improved from year one to year three or four. Monta was the same deal as Ike, he was only considered a project because he didn't get minutes.

Well, I think Monta was considered a long term project (by GMs and coaches). That's why he fell to the second round. That proved to be wrong but, if not, he wouldn't have been available where we picked him.

Same thing happened to Louis Williams... and look what he's doing now. We were just lucky most GMs rated Monta below his real level.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:40 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Ike is a project; the guy's clearly NOT NBA-ready. When you're high-matainence, you're not ready yet. Ike still needs non-stop inside touches, single-coverage, amazing help-defense, and tons of oncourt direction to be anything but a burden. And, even then, he'll pick up 3 fouls in 11 minutes of play. That's a project, no matter how you slice it. There's a reason big man's not getting any minutes.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:47 am
#32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

Ike is a project; the guy's clearly NOT NBA-ready. When you're high-matainence, you're not ready yet. Ike still needs non-stop inside touches, single-coverage, amazing help-defense, and tons of oncourt direction to be anything but a burden. And, even then, he'll pick up 3 fouls in 11 minutes of play. That's a project, no matter how you slice it. There's a reason big man's not getting any minutes.

Yes, but not to the extent POB is. None of those guys (even AB) at any point in their careers showed less promise than POB. When O'bryant has proven/show ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at any level of play, you start to wonder. AB was at least amazingly athletic when he came into the league and showed flashes, and was at least better than Foyle his rookie season, and he was eighteen. O'bryant came out of an american college as a sophmore with average athleticism (we're deluding ourselves when we say he has good athleticism, it is completely average for the NBA) he clearly was expected to be NBA ready. There are different types of players who are supposed to have different cielings. 18 year olds from france and latvia with insanely good athleticism are supposed to be projects. 18 year old second rounders with insane athleticism who never played college ball are supposed to be projects. 6'8" power forwards are supposed to be projects. 7'0" college sophmores drafted with a lotto pick are not.

The real reason Mullin picked POB, I believe, is so that he wouldn't feel obligated to re-sign him after his contract ended.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:54 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:The real reason Mullin picked POB, I believe, is so that he wouldn't feel obligated to re-sign him after his contract ended.

I don't think it goes that far. I think it was because he wasn't sure of who to pick and he went with size. Otherwise, he would have just wasted a lottery pick. If you don't want another rookie, just trade the pick for a future pick (like the Suns have been doing the last few years).
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:05 pm
We also gotta remember that it was one of the worst drafts in recent history. It's not like we passed on a lot of sure things to take POB.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:12 pm
We might have been better off drafting Hilton Armstrong, a big kid who came from a big time program.

I am a bit concerned how POB cannot beat out Foyle for a place on the roster...that is very disturbing.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:24 pm
POB has only played a grand total of 100 minutes, Bedrins played 384 minutes his first year, but carry on, I guess now that Dun is gone it's someone Else's turn :roll:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:31 pm
By the way POB posted his best #'s yet out of the 6 games he's played in the D League 14 Pts 9 Reb 2 Ast 3 Blks in 25 Minutes.

If there was a D League Bedrins first year I bet he would have been sent down too :!:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:12 pm
O.G. broe wrote:but carry on, I guess now that Dun is gone it's someone Else's turn :roll:

Yeah, I think thats kind of what this is, too...

I mean, I know a lotta people weren't thrilled with the pick... but I have a feeling he'll unwarrantingly become this forum's latest punching bag (which is sad).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:58 pm
Most of you guys are saying what I have been saying all along. POB is a player we should be worried about. It is distessing when he can't dominate against other projects. He was a lottery pick for-goodness-sake! He has not shown any skill that says he is a professional basketball player. I f running is all you need to do to be in the NBA, then we should all be in the NBA. He has shown no offensive moves. He has not shown he is a shot blocker. He has not shown he can rebound. Some of you guys talk about his Clippers game as if he is ready for the all-star team. What did he do in that game that was so impressive? He played 10 minutes with no stat line to speak of, big deal.

Mullin should have drafted a basketball player. POB is just tall, that's it, period, in of story. In all honrsty I hope the guy makes it, but it don't look good. :( :( :( :oops: :oops: :oops:

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 pm
It is proven in the NBA that a perimeter or guard (i.e. Dunleavy) can't show flashes of talent and handle NBA talent in the first two-three years, will never blossom into a impact player. Unfortunately, a front court player is a lot more complicated to gauge player development or see the eventual impact. 4 year players like Boozer, Duncan and no surprise high schoolers like Kobe, Howard, KG seem to flourish while there is a long list of college and h.s. busts like Todd Fuller in every NBA franchise. Biggest factors for the developemnt of a big are (strength and conditioning, ability to develop a signature post move, playing time, finding a patient coach with vision, overall team front line depth, coaching philosophy, ability to pass out of a double team, rebounding and shot blocking ability). More simply, is work ethic and coaching philosophy. A traditional front court player will flourish with a Phil Jackson, Dunleavy Sr. or Portland type fo team. A back to the basket player will die in a Jordan(Wiz), Nellie, D' Antonio style of play. Athletic and improving players like Amare or Biedrins will get minutes in a uptempo team because of their athleticism and work ethic, not because of the coaching philosophy. Whether it is fair or not, players like Murphy, Diogu or O'Bryant will never get a fair chance to develop and contribute with Nellie, with the likes of players Pietrus, Barnes, Harrington healthy and available. The important issue is to keep a long term coaching philosophy and draft players accordingly to that coaching philosophy. We squandered about 4-5 lottery picks on the wrong player for the wrong system because of the entire Musselman to Nellie transition.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 pm
POB has a signature post move the Sky Hook, he has shown the ability to pass & has shot blocking ability, To judge and label POB based on a total of 100 minutes playing time in the NBA & 6 games in the D League is ridiculous period & not the end of the story just the beginning :roll:

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:43 pm
O.G. broe wrote:POB has a signature post move the Sky Hook, he has shown the ability to pass & has shot blocking ability, To judge and label POB based on a total of 100 minutes playing time in the NBA & 6 games in the D League is ridiculous period & not the end of the story just the beginning :roll:

I agree with OG Broe on this one.

The only thing that I am concerned about, at this point, with POB is his lack of production vs. NBDL players. And yes, there may have been other players in the draft that the Warriors could have drafted; however, it is still too early to judge POB as a bust.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball