THE LATEST ON POB

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:34 am
SF. Chronicle 1-17-06
Briefly: Golden State will have a ninth player available after recalling rookie Patrick O'Bryant from the D-League. The center started all six of his games with the Bakersfield Jam, averaging 6.2 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.33 blocks in 23.2 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 am
O.G. broe wrote:SF. Chronicle 1-17-06
Briefly: Golden State will have a ninth player available after recalling rookie Patrick O'Bryant from the D-League. The center started all six of his games with the Bakersfield Jam, averaging 6.2 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.33 blocks in 23.2 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a thin bench, POB may get some playing time. Let's hope that the kid can develop into a legitimate NBA player. If he and Biedrens can man the center position and Ike can play the 4 spot, the team will have a legitimate rotation of young big men.

Any predicitions?

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:16 am
POB has another chance to prove that he belongs. He can't just stand there and let guys kick sand in his face. I just see a lot of Dunleavy in this guy. I hope I'm wrong. This is the pros. you have to earn your respect around the league. Getting knock down is no big deal, it happens to everyone. It's how you get up that counts. So I don't want to hear anymore crap about how skinny this guy is. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. The great Calvin Murphy was one of the toughest guys to ever play in the NBA. Some other small tough guys were John Stockton, Scott Skiles, Danny Ainge, and currently playing, Earl Boykin.

P.S. you definitely can add Andris Biedrins to the list.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:24 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:POB has another chance to prove that he belongs. He can't just stand there and let guys kick sand in his face. I just see a lot of Dunleavy in this guy. I hope I'm wrong. This is the pros. you have to earn your respect around the league. Getting knock down is no big deal, it happens to everyone. It's how you get up that counts. So I don't want to hear anymore crap about how skinny this guy is. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. The great Calvin Murphy was one of the toughest guys to ever play in the NBA. Some other small tough guys were John Stockton, Scott Skiles, Danny Ainge, and currently playing, Earl Boykin.

P.S. you definitely can add Andris Biedrins to the list.

Also add Jeff Hornacek, Steve Kerr, and Sleepy Floyd to that list.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:37 pm
From the Mercury News:

O'Bryant is unlikely to return this season

It appears that Warriors center Patrick O'Bryant's rookie NBA season has reached an early end.

Warriors Coach Don Nelson indicated Wednesday that O'Bryant, the ninth overall pick last summer, probably would not be recalled from his assignment with the Bakersfield Jam before the NBA Development League season concludes April 14. Golden State would have three regular-season games remaining at that point.

O'Bryant, the only NBA lottery selection to receive the D-League treatment, is averaging 6.1 points, 6.7 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in seven games with the Jam but has fouled out twice and shot just 40 percent.

``I told him if he goes down to the D-League and isn't a dominant player, there should be red flags all over the place, and he should be the first to notice,'' Nelson said. ``He's not only not dominating, he's not playing very well. He's a long-term project. I really liked him the first week of training camp, but I assumed there would be great progress. He hasn't gotten better one bit.

``I'd like to go to dinner with him, but I wouldn't like to put him in the game I'm coaching.''

• Nelson said he plans to start Jason Richardson as soon as the guard is recovered from his broken right hand.

-- GEOFF LEPPER

Yikes. Nelly said some pretty harsh things. Now I am starting to question his role with the team in the future.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:46 pm
Nelly is right though!

POB should be dominating in the NBDL if anything and if he can't do that he should work out a lot in the summer to improve his game. Granted he might not be the most cordinating big man but at least play good D. We get that from Foyle...

If you are a first rounder and cannot avg a double double let alone 20-10 in the NBDL then you don't belong in the NBA let alone a first rounder. POB... get better! I got high expectation for this kid after watching him carry Bradley to the sweet 16 but being 7 feet isn't enough. You have to produce!

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:01 pm
This is a very disturbing and depressing development.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:06 pm
Julius Hodge can average 12 points, 9.44 blocks, 9.4 assists, 4.2 rebounds, and 4 steals in the d-league and O'bryant can't average 7-7? Pathetic.
ImageImage

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:30 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Julius Hodge can average 12 points, 9.44 blocks, 9.4 assists, 4.2 rebounds, and 4 steals in the d-league and O'bryant can't average 7-7? Pathetic.

POB: Is it lack of effort, lack of talent, or both?

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:00 pm
This is what the kid needs. Nellie hasnt been wrong about a player since he got here. He was even right about Webber. HA.

I predict OBryant will grow up down there this year and come back with some fire. I know those NBDL teamates are happy their fresh supply of pies arent leaving anytime soon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:33 pm
I'm suprised POB hasn't done sh*t since heading down to the NBADL. What is this "unimpressive, lack of skill and talent" I'm hearing and reading from Nelson? I'm not doubting him, but c'mon, he's playing in the development league. And at 7'0, he should be dominating or doing something dominating.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:06 am
Pape Sow dominated the NBDL like he was Wilt... and POB can't get 7 and 7.

As Pest said, pathetic.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:40 am
Sene's averaging similar numbers. Does everybody think that kid's a lost cause, too?

Big men take a lot longer to develop. Give him at least a year. At least. Sow's been in the league longer than O'Bryant and it shows. Give Chef a chance before giving up on him. He's in Month 3 of his NBA life. It's still too damn early.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:29 am
#32 wrote:Sene's averaging similar numbers. Does everybody think that kid's a lost cause, too?

Big men take a lot longer to develop. Give him at least a year. At least. Sow's been in the league longer than O'Bryant and it shows. Give Chef a chance before giving up on him. He's in Month 3 of his NBA life. It's still too damn early.

I agree, but Nelson doesn't - sounds like he has written the kid off. When Nelson decides he has no use for you, you are pretty much done - ask DungMurphy and Ike...He seems like he is at a point in his life when he has very limited patience if he doesn't like what he sees.

Here's Nelly

"I'd like to go to dinner with him, but I wouldn't like to put him in the game I'm coaching."
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:38 am
the truth is, that if bradley had never made that lucky run to the sweet sixteen POB wouldn't have even made the NBA and I think he truthfully doesn't deserve to be in the league.
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball