THE LATEST ON POB

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:14 pm
TMC wrote:You know, call it a hunch, but I think that Mully wasn't sure of who to pick... and took the old saying of "in case of doubt, go tall".

You are probably right about him not knowing who to pick. In those cases my philosophy is different than going big...my philosophy is to go with the best available player. Whether big, small or in the middle, I would go with the most athletically gifted player available.

I still think a great pick for the Warriors would have been Rodney Carney. I thought he would have fit into this system well and flourished unlike what he has done in Philly. I know there is a log jam of players like Dunleavy, Pietrus and even Barnes at that same position, but I think Carney would have been a better pick that O'Bryant.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:20 pm
uptempo wrote:Would you also say that Ike's main problem is also a lack of minutes?

Sure. His stats each time he plays prove he deserves more minutes. I'm not naive towards Ike. He's a still a work in progress, but we don't have many options inside (I'm talking about scoring, mainly), and the kid makes it look so effortless... Of course he has to improve a big deal in other aspects (passing, DEFENSE), but the more he plays, the sooner he'll solve that.

ChicagoTom wrote:I still think a great pick for the Warriors would have been Rodney Carney. I thought he would have fit into this system well and flourished unlike what he has done in Philly. I know there is a log jam of players like Dunleavy, Pietrus and even Barnes at that same position, but I think Carney would have been a better pick that O'Bryant.

:banghead:

Yeah, you tell me. I wanted Carney so bad... and the team didn't even work him out...
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:36 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:He was not all All Missouri Valley first team from what I remember and even in Bradley's loss to a more athletic Memphis team he was outplayed by the smaller, quicker Memphis bigs. I remember watching him and saying to myself that this guy had no business even thinking about turning pro and if he did, he would be a bust.

Back to POB.....Mullin has not done that bad in the draft, but he obviously did not think Biedrins would develop as he has or he would not have drafted O'Bryant.

I completely agree with your assessment of the evolution of the NBA lottery but I do have some points that I would like to add.

POB was labeled a lottery pick prior to the 2006 tourney on most big boards. Top 10 even. The thing is that he was pegged to declare for the 2007 draft. His play during the tournament didn't catapult him into the lottery, it just pushed up his draft year by one. Clearly though, he would be better served to have stayed another year in college.

Regarding Mully's view on AB, I don't think that he was unprepared for his development this year. I mean, let's say that POB has the same learning curve and impact that AB has and will have. Does that mean that picking another player in AB's mold is doubting AB's impact? I wouldn't say so. I think having two players that can contribute 10 and 10 a night is never a bad thing. I mean it's possible that Mullin doubted AB, but it is just as possible that he didn't.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:44 pm
TMC wrote:
Thunder wrote:And as far as people talking down on AB last season - it happened. I remember it because I've been on the AB wagon since his draft day and it bothered me then. It wasn't the big names on the board, but there was a noticeable amount of Latvian hate. I wish I had taken names.

I've got the feeling that that "Latvian hate" (sounds like a title for a pretty awful movie, btw) was more directed towards Monty for not playing him than Biedrins... I mean, they sure wanted to see him do well, and AB's main problem was lack of minutes.

But it's noticeable that none of them have posted this season so far...

What are you talking about, "Latvian Hate" is going to be the next Bond film. :mrgreen:

Nah, I remember the justified Monty hate seperate from the AB bashers. None of them post here still, or will admit to mouthing on AB, but they had non PT beef.

"Too weak"
"No offense"
"fouls too much" - true, but still over emphasized
"waste of a pick"
"not a valid big man"
"can't play defense"

and so on. Too bad they aren't here to fess up to it.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:09 pm
I just do not understand what these agents and scouts tell these players about entering the draft. Not to say some of the youngsters are not ready, but usually half the early entrants in the draft have no business leaving school early.

As I wrote in an earlier post, the draft is full of projects like Patrick O'Bryant. Unfortunately, because the lottery is not as fruitful as it was in decades past, the Warriors have not made solid picks and in turn did not pick up much talent in the lottery to turn this team around.

With the draft being so difficult to forecast and to predict which players will be good, it just goes to show how important it is to have a good scouting system. Whether here in the US or in Europe and other parts of the world, I hope the Warriors have something in place to be looking for the best talent and just as important, finding the talent that will fit into the Warriors system.

Admittedly, POB was taken when Monty was still the head coach. Surely a Nellie-led war room on draft night would have passed on him. I hope POB makes it and succeeds in the NBA, but he has to work hard and improve his game tremendously to be the player he was drafted to be.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:23 pm
Thunder wrote:C'mon, if the D-League had been tied to the NBA for longer than the last CBA (which is about 1.5 years old) the following players would have been sent down:

From the W's:
Andris Biedrins
Monta Ellis

Other Names:
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Tracy McGrady
Jermaine O'Neal
Tyson Chandler
Joe Johnson
Boris Diaw

I don't see any of these guys as busts (save for maybe Chandler) and they ALL would have been sent to the D-League had it been around for them. It's way too early to jump to conclusions with POB just because he was sent down. He could still be a huge bust or he could turn into the best player of the draft - you just don't know yet. Personally I think he will turn out to be a very average center in due time. It's a different kind of system now with the D-League and teams are still figuring out how to use it properly, and with which type of players to send down.

I don't know if most of these players would have been sent down to the D-League. However, what bothers me the most is that O'Bryant is not even above average in THAT league. How can you be 7'0" tall and can't even averge 7 rebounds per game unleass you are a complete stiff? How many other 7'0" are in the D-league anyhow? Plus the guys on your list all had pedigree and good high school and onternational stats. POB has nothing. Even Tyson Chandler and Eddie Curry dominated in high school. Where has POB dominated?

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:40 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:
Thunder wrote:C'mon, if the D-League had been tied to the NBA for longer than the last CBA (which is about 1.5 years old) the following players would have been sent down:

From the W's:
Andris Biedrins
Monta Ellis

Other Names:
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Tracy McGrady
Jermaine O'Neal
Tyson Chandler
Joe Johnson
Boris Diaw

I don't see any of these guys as busts (save for maybe Chandler) and they ALL would have been sent to the D-League had it been around for them. It's way too early to jump to conclusions with POB just because he was sent down. He could still be a huge bust or he could turn into the best player of the draft - you just don't know yet. Personally I think he will turn out to be a very average center in due time. It's a different kind of system now with the D-League and teams are still figuring out how to use it properly, and with which type of players to send down.

I don't know if most of these players would have been sent down to the D-League. However, what bothers me the most is that O'Bryant is not even above average in THAT league. How can you be 7'0" tall and can't even averge 7 rebounds per game unleass you are a complete stiff? How many other 7'0" are in the D-league anyhow? Plus the guys on your list all had pedigree and good high school and onternational stats. POB has nothing. Even Tyson Chandler and Eddie Curry dominated in high school. Where has POB dominated?

We should just call you Mr. Know it all :evil: For your info POB has been called backup jackoff. I really like this kid and I really hope he pans out then opt. out when he can sign a big contract. It's fans like you we don't need :evil:

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:43 pm
Just so you know the was called backup because the team needs healthy bodies. He may not have been playing lights out for the jam, but have you seen that team. They are selfish and don't even look to pass in the post. If there is one think POB needs to do is shot everytime he gets the ball.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:51 pm
Golden wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:

From the W's:
Andris Biedrins
Monta Ellis

Other Names:
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Tracy McGrady
Jermaine O'Neal
Tyson Chandler
Joe Johnson
Boris Diaw

We should just call you Mr. Know it all :evil: For your info POB has been called backup jackoff. I really like this kid and I really hope he pans out then opt. out when he can sign a big contract. It's fans like you we don't need :evil:

What is your deal? Reginald is voicing his concern about the team having drafted POB. We all hope that the kid pans out.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:19 pm
Uptembo read me right, thanks. I hope POB pans out, big time. He appears to be a real intelligent kid. i want to see the hunger and desire. Once this kid found out that nelly wanted to send him down, he should have been jumping all over the gym at practice. in his few minutes he should have leaped at anything near the basket. As I said before, I wouldn't even had mind a few goaltending calls because he was never in a position to affect the outcome of a game.

The last thing the Warriors need is another layed back big man (Joe Barry Carroll, Erick Dampier, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy). If nothing else, Andres Biedrins has always been aggresive. I hope this trip to the minors is a wake-up call for POB.

So Golden, I'm a big fan, but I do call it like I see it. :roll:

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:31 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:...The last thing the Warriors need is another layed back big man (Joe Barry Carroll, Erick Dampier, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy). Let's also not forget Adonyl Foyle in that list!

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:29 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:Uptembo read me right, thanks. I hope POB pans out, big time. He appears to be a real intelligent kid. i want to see the hunger and desire. Once this kid found out that nelly wanted to send him down, he should have been jumping all over the gym at practice. in his few minutes he should have leaped at anything near the basket. As I said before, I wouldn't even had mind a few goaltending calls because he was never in a position to affect the outcome of a game.

The last thing the Warriors need is another layed back big man (Joe Barry Carroll, Erick Dampier, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy). If nothing else, Andres Biedrins has always been aggresive. I hope this trip to the minors is a wake-up call for POB.

So Golden, I'm a big fan, but I do call it like I see it. :roll:

ReginalLewis I hear what your saying and I'm a big fan as well. If you see the jam team play they are all for themselves and the coaching staff sucks. Being sent to the D-League is not a bad thing for this kid, but being sent to the jam is.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:06 pm
Going to the DL is the best thing that can happen for POB right now due to the fact he isn't 100% ready for the NBA's tempo. Even if the Warriors were bodied down(which they are), I wouldn't think too much of him being able to flourish just yet. Plus, I'd think he'd get in early foul trouble before they'd hit the first 5 minutes.

Anyway, which DL team was he sent to?
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:11 pm
ChicagoTom wrote:I just do not understand what these agents and scouts tell these players about entering the draft. Not to say some of the youngsters are not ready, but usually half the early entrants in the draft have no business leaving school early.

Hey, the POB hype was huge (though I didn't buy it) because George Mason made the final four. If he hadn't gone this year he would have never made the nba because people would realize he was averaging 13 ppg in a shiity conference in college as a junior
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:27 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Anyway, which DL team was he sent to?

Bakersfield Jam, if I'm not wrong. And he managed to average the unbelievable amount of 6.2 points and 7.5 boards per game for them...
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball