THE LATEST ON POB

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:16 pm
uptempo wrote:We might have been better off drafting Hilton Armstrong, a big kid who came from a big time program.

I am a bit concerned how POB cannot beat out Foyle for a place on the roster...that is very disturbing.

You know. I think Foyle has been great in his few minutes this season. He's getting in every three-four games and gives it his all. He defends well and hasn't lost nearly as many passes or missed as many dunks as we're used to. He's never been starter material but has a backup I like him alot. The contract is another issue ofcourse but in two years or so he'll be be quite valuable :-)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:27 pm
cladden wrote:
uptempo wrote:We might have been better off drafting Hilton Armstrong, a big kid who came from a big time program.

I am a bit concerned how POB cannot beat out Foyle for a place on the roster...that is very disturbing.

You know. I think Foyle has been great in his few minutes this season. He's getting in every three-four games and gives it his all. He defends well and hasn't lost nearly as many passes or missed as many dunks as we're used to. He's never been starter material but has a backup I like him alot. The contract is another issue ofcourse but in two years or so he'll be be quite valuable :-)

I don't know about that, Foyle's 31, but if the Warriors choose to let him go when his contract expires(that's if he's still a Warrior by then), I'd think championship teams like the Pistons or Spurs would go after him.

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:02 pm
cladden wrote:You know. I think Foyle has been great in his few minutes this season. He's getting in every three-four games and gives it his all. He defends well and hasn't lost nearly as many passes or missed as many dunks as we're used to. He's never been starter material but has a backup I like him alot. The contract is another issue ofcourse but in two years or so he'll be be quite valuable :-)

Actually, you are a little wrong because Foyle almost never drops a pass, even the hard out of the blue off-line passes get caught. And, he seems to make every shot now.

He must have run a million drills to improve this much and should be commended for that.

He has become a valuable role player that would command a pretty high price if the Ws were in the position of trying to get him from another team.

In contrast, certain ex-players obviously were spending their time at Andre's Hair Affair and cutehairribbons.com instead of improving their games.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:11 am
cladden wrote:

for pete's sake, you know why he hasnt missed any easy dunks or fumbled the ball out of bounds? because he is on the bench!!!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:52 am
cladden wrote:You know. I think Foyle has been great in his few minutes this season. He's getting in every three-four games and gives it his all. He defends well and hasn't lost nearly as many passes or missed as many dunks as we're used to. He's never been starter material but has a backup I like him alot. The contract is another issue ofcourse but in two years or so he'll be be quite valuable :-)

Yep. I love him strictly as a backup. Having to play him 30 min per game gets on my nerves, but if he plays just when we need him, he's pretty valuable... Now, if we could only have him for half that contract...

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:03 am
In a few games with the newcomers, Foyle looked ok rolling off the pick and roll. The only way that he has a chance to improve is to actually play in game situations and be utilized and involved in the flow of the game. He finished with baskets on two plays and kicked out with a pass to the corner on one. While not a low block player, Foyle can provide adequate backup to Biedrens. It is just unfortunate that Mullin overpaid Foyle for backup services.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:13 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
I can't hate on projects; Biedrins was one, Pietrus was one, Monta was (briefly) one, Ike still is one... and O'Bryant is one. I think they all have major talent.

Biedrins was one of the very few projects that ever panned out. Ike was NOT a project. if somebody is NBA ready and doesn't play that doesn't make them a project. Pietrus has barely improved from year one to year three or four. Monta was the same deal as Ike, he was only considered a project because he didn't get minutes.

Ike is a project; the guy's clearly NOT NBA-ready. When you're high-matainence, you're not ready yet. Ike still needs non-stop inside touches, single-coverage, amazing help-defense, and tons of oncourt direction to be anything but a burden. And, even then, he'll pick up 3 fouls in 11 minutes of play. That's a project, no matter how you slice it. There's a reason big man's not getting any minutes.

Yes, but not to the extent POB is. None of those guys (even AB) at any point in their careers showed less promise than POB. When O'bryant has proven/show ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at any level of play, you start to wonder. AB was at least amazingly athletic when he came into the league and showed flashes, and was at least better than Foyle his rookie season, and he was eighteen. O'bryant came out of an american college as a sophmore with average athleticism (we're deluding ourselves when we say he has good athleticism, it is completely average for the NBA) he clearly was expected to be NBA ready. There are different types of players who are supposed to have different cielings. 18 year olds from france and latvia with insanely good athleticism are supposed to be projects. 18 year old second rounders with insane athleticism who never played college ball are supposed to be projects. 6'8" power forwards are supposed to be projects. 7'0" college sophmores drafted with a lotto pick are not.

The real reason Mullin picked POB, I believe, is so that he wouldn't feel obligated to re-sign him after his contract ended.

Have you ever played the game of basketball at a college level? You over 1812 post and you think you know it all (Not). What the hell do you know about why Mullin pick POB with the 9th pick. Hmmmmm let me see you know NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:57 pm
I like your passion Golden. Especially when its directed to one of the big boys on the board like "the pest". However, I agree with pest that we can only go by what we see, or in POB case, what we don't see. i have never been a big fan of drafting long range projects, especially in the lottery. There is no gurantee that POB will get bigger, stronger, or tougher. There is no gurantee that he will put in the time and effort to be a functional big man. Right now, he is a long ways away from being even marginal. this is the sentiment of someone that knows more baskeball than all of us, Mr. Don Nelson. For every Kevin Garnett there are 5 Brad Sellers, or 5 Todd Fullers. I read somewhere that POB had a signature move, a sky hook. two things is wrong with that. Number one, only Kareem ever had a consistent sky hook ( Magic had a baby hook), and #2, POB is so light in the ass that he will concsistently get pushed to far away from the basket to ever use it. Lastly, adding 20 pounds to that long frame is nothing. He needs to add a bout 50 to make a difference. Muscular weight is very hard to put on unless Greg Anderson is your trainer. :agrue:

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:17 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:I like your passion Golden. Especially when its directed to one of the big boys on the board like "the pest". However, I agree with pest that we can only go by what we see, or in POB case, what we don't see. i have never been a big fan of drafting long range projects, especially in the lottery. There is no gurantee that POB will get bigger, stronger, or tougher. There is no gurantee that he will put in the time and effort to be a functional big man. Right now, he is a long ways away from being even marginal. this is the sentiment of someone that knows more baskeball than all of us, Mr. Don Nelson. For every Kevin Garnett there are 5 Brad Sellers, or 5 Todd Fullers. I read somewhere that POB had a signature move, a sky hook. two things is wrong with that. Number one, only Kareem ever had a consistent sky hook ( Magic had a baby hook), and #2, POB is so light in the ass that he will concsistently get pushed to far away from the basket to ever use it. Lastly, adding 20 pounds to that long frame is nothing. He needs to add a bout 50 to make a difference. Muscular weight is very hard to put on unless Greg Anderson is your trainer. :agrue:

I could care less if he is one of the so called big boys on this board.

I do agree the kid needs to gain muscular weight but that will come in time. How many 20 year old 7'0 are muscular (not many). Take a look at all the big men in the 2006 draft only Sheldon Williams and Paul M. have big NBA pro bodies.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:41 pm
Can't we all just agree that the kid needs some time to develop? If it is at the NBDL, fine. If it is with the NBA team, fine.

I liked the way that the kid looked vs. the Clippers. Hopefully, he can develop in Bakersfield.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:56 pm
Golden wrote:Have you ever played the game of basketball at a college level? You over 1812 post and you think you know it all (Not). What the hell do you know about why Mullin pick POB with the 9th pick. Hmmmmm let me see you know NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

:roll: Your serve, Pest. I'm giving the Golden Boy a 5/10. It was shocking that he calls you out on virtually nothing, but thats about it. No creativity, no style.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:11 pm
#32 wrote:
Golden wrote:Have you ever played the game of basketball at a college level? You over 1812 post and you think you know it all (Not). What the hell do you know about why Mullin pick POB with the 9th pick. Hmmmmm let me see you know NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

:roll: Your serve, Pest. I'm giving the Golden Boy a 5/10. It was shocking that he calls you out on virtually nothing, but thats about it. No creativity, no style.

Say 32 I'm not trying to hurt anyone feels out here. I'm just saying it like it is. So if you are your friend Pest want to try to serve me up go right ahead 8)
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:28 pm
Have you ever played the game of basketball at a college level? You over 1812 post and you think you know it all (Not). What the hell do you know about why Mullin pick POB with the 9th pick. Hmmmmm let me see you know NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's your report card on this post Golden
facts? F
insight? F
grasp of english language? D
Sanity? D
Similarity to J-rich (AP class)? A
Ability to contain idiotic thoughts? F
Reason for living? Incomplete

Your serve, Pest. I'm giving the Golden Boy a 5/10. It was shocking that he calls you out on virtually nothing, but thats about it. No creativity, no style.

We're in more or less agreement, but I give him extra credit for his remarkable similarity to J-rich, namely his number of exclamation marks. Either way, he clearly isn't going to graduate the troll academy with these marks
ImageImage

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:31 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
Have you ever played the game of basketball at a college level? You over 1812 post and you think you know it all (Not). What the hell do you know about why Mullin pick POB with the 9th pick. Hmmmmm let me see you know NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

facts? F
insight? F
Sanity? D

You've got a D average, congrats

Thnaks for the report card Pest. You hurt my feelings :cry:

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:46 pm
Golden wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:

facts? F
insight? F
Sanity? D

You've got a D average, congrats

Thnaks for the report card Pest. You hurt my feelings :cry:

If you don't watch out Golden they are going to put you in the same class as me. They think that I'm an old, ignorant,factless s.o.b wth no grasp of the English language that is caught in 70's time warp. Like you, I have no problem speaking my mind, I just don't like to get personal. i think pest was way out of line talking about grsp of the english language. What the hell has that got to do with it. How can he judge sanity, who is he Dr. Phil. Personally, I don't agree with your opinions and you are entitled to them so keep it up. I hate conformist. Unfortunately that's what this board is made of is a bunch of conformist.

You know what makes this post weird is that I agree with pest on POB but I support your right to state your opinion about POB anyway you like.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball