Interesting thought from Yahoo! Sports

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:10 pm
The problem is we may not be able to keep our current roster with our monetary issues. If vince left then that would leave us with plaent of cap to resign everyone we want and then a little more.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:01 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
#32 wrote:What about my idea; where you take Josh Boone and Ike Diogu out of the trade. It becomes Carter (who'd be a salary dump) and Ilic (who we'd drop) for Murphy and Richardson's contracts.

At this point, what would you rather do: keep Jason Richardson or resign Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins, AND Ike Diogu? With Murphy and Rich's contracts off the books, we can (very realistically) resign all 3 - not to mention, possibly Barnes. That could solidify our lineup for the next 5 years:

2008-'09 Golden State Warriors

PG - Baron Davis / Keith McCleod
SG - Monta Ellis / Kelena Azibuke / 2007 Draft Pick
SF - Mickael Pietrus / Matt Barnes
PF - Ike Diogu / Mike Dunleavy
C - Andris Biedrins / Patrick O'Bryant / Adonal Foyle

Keep in mind, that would be a fully developed Monta and Ike starting, along with a more beefed up (and finely tuned) Patrick O'Bryant back from the D-League. And we'd probably pick up another guard in the draft. I'd be seriously down for that.

On the books it's a good move 32, but I think that the warriors administration wouldn't be down with trading richardson solely to get rid of murphy's salary. Many fans just come to the games to see jrich (which explains why attendance is down.). That lineup you posted looks no better than our current one when healthy.

It IS our current one, when healthy. But, to me, keeping our current guys is more important than keeping some of the guys we already have locked down.

I love Richardson as much as anybody... but if losing him means keeping Diogu, Ellis, Barnes, AND Biedrins, I'd put the stamp on his forehead and shove him down the mail chute myself.

You gotta remember; this is Biedrins' first season with huge minutes and he already looks like an all-star center. Plus, Ellis and Diogu are far from a finished product. When Ike learns how to pass out of a double team (not to mention the playbook) and Monta stops throwing away the ball 5 times a night, they'll both be studs. And if Barnes can maintain this sort of game (which isn't very likely, but at least it's wishable), signing him would be a wise move to.

Jason Richardson is a savage... and Troy Murphy has his moments, but if losing those two means keeping 4 quality role players (3 of which, quite frankly, are more responsible for our success this year than either Jason or Troy), than I'd make that deal. JRich is a helluva price to pay, but I'd rather lose him than the combination of Biedrins and Ike Diogu.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:55 am
#32 wrote:What about my idea; where you take Josh Boone and Ike Diogu out of the trade. It becomes Carter (who'd be a salary dump) and Ilic (who we'd drop) for Murphy and Richardson's contracts.

At this point, what would you rather do: keep Jason Richardson or resign Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins, AND Ike Diogu? With Murphy and Rich's contracts off the books, we can (very realistically) resign all 3 - not to mention, possibly Barnes. That could solidify our lineup for the next 5 years:

I don't think J-Rich is going to be a factor in re-signing those guys. Biedrins is under contract for next year (and Dunleavy won't be a BYC player, so trading him will be easier), and Ike is signed til the 2009 season. There's no need to rush. Trading Murphy for a expirer alone should be enough, and, if not, I'd rather let go some players (like Barnes and Pietrus) instead of trading J-Rich.

In fact, the only way I'd do that trade is if Carter agrees to an extension with us. Then it could be worthy...

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:50 pm
while you guys are all annointing Ike (the same way I did Tony Romo), i am concerned about his durability issues. he appears to get hurt a lot and he appears to be a slow healer. Do you remember he started his pro career on the IR. He had a hand injury that took forever to heal. he is recently coming back from a leg sprain that took forever to heal. Barbaro came back befor Ike did.

So while you guys want to throw all this money to Ike (and I like him, too). Keep in mind that he is an undersized power forward and those types of guys tend to take a beating.

As for as Patrick o'Bryant, be worried. Anytime you send a 7' down to a minor league or overseas, look out. The only big guy that I can remember to make an inpact after coming from a lesser league was Bill Laimbeer. O'Bryant appears to a bust. In the NBA, if you are a 7'er they usually let you sit around. i would be really careful about counting on this guy.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:35 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:As for as Patrick o'Bryant, be worried. Anytime you send a 7' down to a minor league or overseas, look out. The only big guy that I can remember to make an inpact after coming from a lesser league was Bill Laimbeer. O'Bryant appears to a bust. In the NBA, if you are a 7'er they usually let you sit around. i would be really careful about counting on this guy.

I don't know about that statement. He could very well be a bust but it is too early to tell. Biedrins probably would have been sent down his rookie year if that had been an option but we can all agree he's been anything but a bust. Gerald Green isn't a 7 footer, but he too was in the D-League for a good part of last season.
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball