WHats the deal with roberson sittin the bench?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Who is better: Roberson or Barnes?

Roberson
6%
Barnes
94%

Total votes : 18

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:48 pm
Anthony Roberson gives Don Nelson nothing but good minutes when he plays. So someone please explain to me why he sits the bench the whole game. In my mind, he is better than barnes. HE is arguably our best shooter and is definitely a 3-pt threat.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:43 pm
Roberson gives extremely spotty results when he plays. That's why there's a lack of consistency in the minutes; because there's a lack of consistency with his play.

Typical example: December 4th, Roberson went 9/16 (56%) against the Spurs. The next night, he went 2/9 (22%) against the Rockets.

Yesterday, he went 0-for-3 against the Heat. The game before that, he went 1-for-5 against the Craptors. A week before that, he went 1-for-4 against the Sonics. And none of these teams (not even the Heat, mind you) have good perimeter defense.

Combine that with the fact that all he brings to the table is outside shooting (which is situational to begin with)... and you have your answer.

Matt Barnes is leagues better than him. So far, Barnes' shooting has outranked Roberson's... and the fact that Barnes can do a little bit of everything well means he has a major advantage on Roberson, whose purely one-dimensional.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:38 pm
I think that Robertson should be brought in to try to give a spark off the bench but if he isn't shooting well, he should be put right back on the bench!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:40 pm
You mean, kinda how he is right now? :wink:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:50 pm
#32 wrote:You mean, kinda how he is right now? :wink:

In a game where the team is struggling, like yesterday, he should be brought in for a few minutes and given 3 to 5 shots to see if he can do something. If he is missing, he should be put right back on the bench

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:43 pm
barnes, no contest, from what I've seen...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:56 pm
I don't like Roberson at all. He knows he has a reputation as a gunner, so when he gets a few minutes in a game, he always feels like he needs to prove himself, so he chucks up the first three point look he gets. And he can't even make threes! He may have been a good shooter and in college and the preseason, but let me check real quick what his % is for this season, I'm guessing it's horrible.

Allright, at .382 it's not as bad as I expected. But for a guy who is supposedly 'lights out', he seems to miss too many open shots, and take too many contested ones, too.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:20 am
Roberson is far too streaky to start! And there is no way he is better than barnes. Barnes can do many things while roberson is very one dimensional.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:24 am
Barnes also adds a whole other dimension to our defense in his shot-blocking. Having two threats down there (him and Biedrins) forces players fighting to the hole to be careful. I've seen lots of times where a player was careful in the post around Barnes and Biedrins leaps out for a nasty swat.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:23 am
Barnes is a whole different player than Roberson. I only see Ant as one of those players to spark the Warriors offense off the bench with his shooting. But he is too inconsistent, does not handle the ball well, and tends to make mistakes on his passes. You might say Monta is the same, but he plays with intensity and is fearless. He can score and can keep up with the NBA's fastest defensively. Roberson will, and always will be(that's unless he somehow becomes a star) a product off the bench who will help the offense when it is in trouble. And the good thing about Barnes is that Nellie doesn't have to play Mike 30-40 minutes.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:00 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:I only see Ant as one of those players to spark the Warriors offense off the bench with his shooting.

Exactly. That's all he is at this point.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:19 am
John Patrick wrote:Barnes also adds a whole other dimension to our defense in his shot-blocking. Having two threats down there (him and Biedrins) forces players fighting to the hole to be careful. I've seen lots of times where a player was careful in the post around Barnes and Biedrins leaps out for a nasty swat.

i love how you bring defense into the mix, considering the warriors are in the bottom five in the league in points given up. you are a truly brilliant man to throw that in there. please, try me again when you know what your talking about
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:18 am
Roberson has no business starting for any NBA team. He is way too streaky and too much of a liability on various fronts to garner more than the role he is in right now.

However, I would like to see more of McLeod's minutes go to Roberson. At least Roberson can shoot and is younger. McLeod's only contribution is that he makes free throws.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:32 am
Thunder wrote:However, I would like to see more of McLeod's minutes go to Roberson. At least Roberson can shoot and is younger. McLeod's only contribution is that he makes free throws.

That I can agree with. Is not like McLeod is a much better pg than Roberson... so we'd have at least a better shooter on the court.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:45 am
It is true indeed, that the Ws have a poor defense. However, the only players on their team who consistently play any defense are Biedrins, Pietrus and Barnes (and Foyle in his utterly inelegant way), so not playing Barnes would only hurt their defense even more. I love it when guys like Barnes come along, unsung worker bees who contribute far more than the hype or draft pick would indicate.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball