Philly smartest team in league

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:59 pm
Does anyone else notice this whole AI debacle is giving them the best chance to get Greg Oden.

They KNOW they are a medicore team, they know they are gonna rebuild without AI, so why not bench him for a month or so and get in prime position to draft Oden. Trade AI after the New Year for that Boston package and next year have one of the best young teams.

PG-Telfair
SG-not sure
SF- AI 2
PF-Jefferson
C-Oden

smart men
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:28 pm
No, actually the last thing the Sixers want to avoid is trading AI to a team in the same division as them. Yeah, sure Oden is the coveted first overall pick for whoever receives him, but they do not want to trade an all star to a team in the same division. That'd be a mistake.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:41 am
The Celts do have alot of young guys and that would be the best thing for the sixers. I'd go for Jefferson, Wally and Delonte if I were them. They would still likely have a shiit season and finish getting a top 5 draft pick. They could really be a great team in three years if they play their cards right here

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:10 am
If I were the Sixers, I'd trade AI for expirers and picks... but only on the condition that Dalembert has to go with him. Webber becomes a expirer next season... which means that, in two seasons, they would have money to sign two max players, and all the rookies (Oden, possibly) drafted during those years.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:14 am
TMC wrote:If I were the Sixers, I'd trade AI for expirers and picks... but only on the condition that Dalembert has to go with him. Webber becomes a expirer next season... which means that, in two seasons, they would have money to sign two max players, and all the rookies (Oden, possibly) drafted during those years.

That's just dumping everything! No need for that! The Celts could give Jefferson (the future PF), Telfair or Delonte (the future PG) and Wally (the main scorer and shooter for now). They would probably do crap this season as they have been and get a top 3 pick. That would give them the two Celtic young guys, a top 3 pick next draft and a very good scorer and shooter to go with the young core of Iguodala, Carney, Dalembert and Green. It would not be so bad in three years or so if all were kept

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:32 am
migya wrote:That's just dumping everything!

Exactly. Best possible course of action with the kind of team they have... Young talent, lots of salary cap available and high draft picks. That's the way to build a team (that is, if you know who to draft and sign with all that money).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:11 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:That's just dumping everything!

Exactly. Best possible course of action with the kind of team they have... Young talent, lots of salary cap available and high draft picks. That's the way to build a team (that is, if you know who to draft and sign with all that money).

Some of the pieces there should stay and a good for the future, like Dalembert and Iggy

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:19 am
migya wrote:Some of the pieces there should stay and a good for the future, like Dalembert and Iggy

Iggy will stay, but Dalembert, if they get Oden, should go. He can't play any other position... and I don't think a backup deserves a $10 million per year (on average, but it goes over $12 million) contract.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:13 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Some of the pieces there should stay and a good for the future, like Dalembert and Iggy

Iggy will stay, but Dalembert, if they get Oden, should go. He can't play any other position... and I don't think a backup deserves a $10 million per year (on average, but it goes over $12 million) contract.

Dalembert is good enough at starting Center. He has the tools to be very good and has been playing pretty good lately.

To get Oden, they will have to get the first pick most likely and that is never a sure thing. If they are smart, they can get two or three very good young players that can set them up in two or three years

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:21 am
migya wrote:Dalembert is good enough at starting Center. He has the tools to be very good and has been playing pretty good lately.

True, but with his salary out of the books, they'd be able to have enough cap to sign two max players... that makes a bif difference. Once again, it's the contract which reduces the value of a player, not his performance.

Anyway, Philly seems to be doing what I'm saying. They've said that they're more interested in picks and expirers if they don't find a star willing to go there. And the only players that are not available for trades are Iggy and Korver... anyone else can go in the AI sweepstakes.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:13 am
TMC wrote:Anyway, Philly seems to be doing what I'm saying. They've said that they're more interested in picks and expirers if they don't find a star willing to go there. And the only players that are not available for trades are Iggy and Korver... anyone else can go in the AI sweepstakes.

Then some GM is going to strike it rich very soon!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:32 am
migya wrote:Then some GM is going to strike it rich very soon!

Seems like Denver is the main contender for AI right now, as Philly doesn't want to trade with Boston... Miami could be the third option. Last I've heard, at least.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:52 am
migya wrote:To get Oden, they will have to get the first pick most likely

not the way KD is playing
ImageImage
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:31 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:To get Oden, they will have to get the first pick most likely

not the way KD is playing

Yeah, but even if Durant is playing at such a high level at Texas, I don't think you'd want to pass on a big man considered to dominate the NBA just like Shaq did. I'd think Oden and Durant would go 1-2.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:36 pm
I'll laugh my ass off if Philly gets Greg Oden... RIGHT after resigning Dalembert to all that cash. ::lol:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball