Players Don Nelson Will Help/Hinder

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Nelson's overall effect make the Warriors better or worse as a whole?

Much Better! 50 Wins!
29%
He'll wake up Golden State's talent... 40 wins.
63%
Nelson won't help. Same record.
5%
He'll pull a Larry Brown and actually make the team WORSE.
2%

Total votes : 41

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:34 pm
Right. That's what I thought. :-k
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:51 pm
I think Zarko will be Nellie's favorite player off the bench. He can play multiple positions and can play outside and inside but his inside game still needs improvement and developing.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:27 pm
It looks like it will get better but if Diogu doesn't get used properly, he might not want to stay in the Warriors and Mullin may not even want to resign him if in two years he is just a sparingly used player that is not really involved offensively and defensively. Diogu has alot of talent but this is not a situation that favors post players so it is interesting what will happen

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:45 pm
Ike can run the floor pretty well. We don't need to worry about him not fitting.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:46 am
WORD.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:39 am
Hope Diogu does fit in Nelson's style well but he needs to get the ball down low to show his real effectiveness

Rookie
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:24 am
What's up guys.. long time Mav fan here. I'm definitely pumped to see my main man Don Nelson back coaching, and what better place for him to land than Golden State?

The player that will benefit the most from Nelson being here is Dunleavey. Nelson loves to have a forward run the offense, which allows his point guards and swingmen to get open looks. Mike D can handle the rock pretty darned well for a forward and his stroke will keep defenses from sagging. I'm also interested to see if Nelson can fit him into some pick and roll schemes.

I disagree with the original poster that Foyle will get frozen out. Nelson loves shotblockers. When he's healthy, Foyle is one of the best in the game. I can see him in a Shawn Bradley type role in which he starts some games when the team utilizes a less mobile center, and comes off the bench in others to provide a defensive change of pace.

Baron Davis has an opportunity here. Nelson is more patient than most coaches with players who hog the ball. As long as he plays within Nelson's scheme and resistes the temptation to run wild, he'll flourish.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:10 pm
madape wrote:What's up guys.. long time Mav fan here. I'm definitely pumped to see my main man Don Nelson back coaching, and what better place for him to land than Golden State?

Good to hear from a solid fan. Most guys who follow different teams come here to talk trash. Welcome!

madape wrote:The player that will benefit the most from Nelson being here is Dunleavey. Nelson loves to have a forward run the offense, which allows his point guards and swingmen to get open looks. Mike D can handle the rock pretty darned well for a forward and his stroke will keep defenses from sagging. I'm also interested to see if Nelson can fit him into some pick and roll schemes.

:dontknow: Dunleavy's also horribly inconsistent, though. There's no questioning his skills; he's a damn good player, when he's on. But Nelson also doesn't put up with guys he can't rely on. That's why Dunleavy's value is still unknown. We know Nelson will try him out... but Dunleavy's response to the situation is the wild card.

madape wrote:I disagree with the original poster that Foyle will get frozen out. Nelson loves shotblockers. When he's healthy, Foyle is one of the best in the game. I can see him in a Shawn Bradley type role in which he starts some games when the team utilizes a less mobile center, and comes off the bench in others to provide a defensive change of pace.

Foyle is a capable shot-blocker... but absolutely nothing else. He has zero mobility, terrible hands, and runs like he's wading through a pool of mud. Sure, I can see him being put in as a change-up on defense... but, for the most part, Biedrins and O'Bryant are both shot-blockers as well (and much more useful than Foyle in other areas). Foyle can't be compared to Shawn Bradley because Bradley's height gave him a huge edge. Shawn could easily pick up 3 blocks in 18 minutes a game. Foyle can barely squeek 1 in 20 minutes. Once Nelson see's this, he'll understand that it's time to explore other options. Why do you think Golden State drafted 2 new centers this year? :wink:

madape wrote:Baron Davis has an opportunity here. Nelson is more patient than most coaches with players who hog the ball. As long as he plays within Nelson's scheme and resistes the temptation to run wild, he'll flourish.

That's what we're all hoping for here in the Bay. [-o<
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:27 pm
It is good to see a fan of another team come in here and talk well. The Mabs are one of my favourites as well and they might go all the way this coming season. Nelson sure does bring proven winning and that should translate into the playoffs for the Warriors

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:50 am
Just came back (traveling overseas) and just heard the news—and this is great news! I wanted Nelly midway last season (or any big name veteran coach), and great to see my wish granted. If basketball is 50% mental (along with everything else), I think a 48-50-win season is in order. (We don’t necessarily have to completely blow teams out, we just need to know how to win, along with getting everybody back and with more experience and waayyy better coaching and leadership.) Lucky 13, baby!

Welcome back 32, and my condolences.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:01 am
Mav fan, thanks for visiting.

Some interesting points you make here.

At the Nelson press conference, he, Nelson, did state that he will be implementing a small ball lineup with this Warrior team.

I have to view Dunleavy now as a guy who may also get get minutes at center, with Baron, Monta, JR, and Air France playing the other positions.

Watch for Foyle, POB, Biedrens (and Taft?) playing above the arc and shooting threes.

The two guys that I see really benefiting from the arrival of Don Nelson are Richardson and Pietrus. A talented and athletic 6'5-6'6 player thrives in a Nelson offense, much like the small forward thrived in a Dick Motta offense.

Lastly, the guy who really could implement the small ball team better than Nelson was Al Attles. Attles had a 6'6 1/2 198 lbs. "power forward" named Keith (now Jamal) Wilkes playing power forward against guys like Spencer Haywood, Bob Love, and Elvin Hayes and won the NBA title.

Small ball can work, but, there also needs to be tough role "big man" role players like Clifford Ray, George Johnson, Bill Bridges, and Derek Dickey.

The difference between an Al Attles coached team and a Don Nelson coached team is that an Al Attles coached team played tenacious defense, while a Don Nelson coached team believes that defense is something that is only played by an Eastern Conference teams. That is why a Don Nelson coached team never gets beyond the second round of the playoffs.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:19 am
uptempo wrote:The difference between an Al Attles coached team and a Don Nelson coached team is that an Al Attles coached team played tenacious defense, while a Don Nelson coached team believes that defense is something that is only played by an Eastern Conference teams. That is why a Don Nelson coached team never gets beyond the second round of the playoffs.

That's a common criticism, but it's false. The Mavs made it to the Western Conference finals under Nelson and I beleive the Bucks made it to the Eastern Conference finals three times under Nelson. That Maverick team was actually about in the middle of the league in terms of points per possession. They played an uptempo offensive style, so there were more possessions, and therefore more points per game... but the Mavs actually had some pretty decent defensive teams.

Of course, you know that Nelson's Milwalkee teams were some of the best in the league during his tenure.

So I wouldn't say that Nelson doesn't know how to coach defense. He is one of the best offensive coaches of all time, definitely the most innovative. But that shouldn't mean that his teams were as poor defensively as Charles Barkley and TNT would have you beleive. It's just not true. And he certainly shouldn't be considered a coach that is only good for the regular season. As a Mav fan, I can say that I very much enjoyed seeing the team win playoff series after playoff series under Nelson. Milwalkee fans probably remember all those playoff series wins fondly as well... and I'm sure Warrior fans will enjoy seeing their team do the same in the very near future.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:12 pm
madape wrote:
uptempo wrote:The difference between an Al Attles coached team and a Don Nelson coached team is that an Al Attles coached team played tenacious defense, while a Don Nelson coached team believes that defense is something that is only played by an Eastern Conference teams. That is why a Don Nelson coached team never gets beyond the second round of the playoffs.

That's a common criticism, but it's false. The Mavs made it to the Western Conference finals under Nelson and I beleive the Bucks made it to the Eastern Conference finals three times under Nelson. That Maverick team was actually about in the middle of the league in terms of points per possession. They played an uptempo offensive style, so there were more possessions, and therefore more points per game... but the Mavs actually had some pretty decent defensive teams.

Of course, you know that Nelson's Milwalkee teams were some of the best in the league during his tenure.

So I wouldn't say that Nelson doesn't know how to coach defense. He is one of the best offensive coaches of all time, definitely the most innovative. But that shouldn't mean that his teams were as poor defensively as Charles Barkley and TNT would have you beleive. It's just not true. And he certainly shouldn't be considered a coach that is only good for the regular season. As a Mav fan, I can say that I very much enjoyed seeing the team win playoff series after playoff series under Nelson. Milwalkee fans probably remember all those playoff series wins fondly as well... and I'm sure Warrior fans will enjoy seeing their team do the same in the very near future.

:D That's all I needed to hear.

Cheers, pal!
Role Player
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:26 pm
i don't know if anyone has asked this already,

but who is that ONE guy who voted for the "larry brown effect" in the poll. hahaha
In the Golden State of Mind since '97.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:25 pm
madape wrote:

Real Talk :D Too bad you can't trade fan's :!: Welcome to the board madape...
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball