Players Don Nelson Will Help/Hinder

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Nelson's overall effect make the Warriors better or worse as a whole?

Much Better! 50 Wins!
29%
He'll wake up Golden State's talent... 40 wins.
63%
Nelson won't help. Same record.
5%
He'll pull a Larry Brown and actually make the team WORSE.
2%

Total votes : 41

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:55 am
migya wrote:
David wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:david. just out of curiosity why are you a warriors fan if you live in texas? A state with 5 NBA championships and two of last years three best records?

I'm a Mavs fan. The Warriors have our coach.

I like the job Avery Johnson has done, but Don Nelson should still be in Dallas. I thought he had retired for good. As it turns out, Cuban ran him out of town.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Warriors will be a playoff team. Nelson will find a way to turn things around. I think he has something to prove. He's watched Phoenix, with his PG and his system, have great success. Had he been left to max out his system in Dallas I think he would have already won the NBA championship. He had to placate Cuban and ended up with players Cuban wanted instead of the players he wanted.

I think he would have found a way, in last year's finals, to win against the old, washed up Miami Heat.

Seems like the Mavs have been better with Avery than with Nelson. More defense and more success last season

AJ had centers who could play. Something Nelson had been after forever. Suddenly there are 2 centers who could play. The year before, they had Dampier and Bradley. Before that, they had Bradley and 3 all-star PFs. Bradley was never much but he was never much + injured his last couple of years.

As soon as Nelson left, AJ stroked Cuban's ego and said the right things. As long as they have Dirk and a couple of scorers and rebounders they have a good team. AJ inherited most of it.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:36 am
David wrote:
migya wrote:
David wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:david. just out of curiosity why are you a warriors fan if you live in texas? A state with 5 NBA championships and two of last years three best records?

I'm a Mavs fan. The Warriors have our coach.

I like the job Avery Johnson has done, but Don Nelson should still be in Dallas. I thought he had retired for good. As it turns out, Cuban ran him out of town.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Warriors will be a playoff team. Nelson will find a way to turn things around. I think he has something to prove. He's watched Phoenix, with his PG and his system, have great success. Had he been left to max out his system in Dallas I think he would have already won the NBA championship. He had to placate Cuban and ended up with players Cuban wanted instead of the players he wanted.

I think he would have found a way, in last year's finals, to win against the old, washed up Miami Heat.

Seems like the Mavs have been better with Avery than with Nelson. More defense and more success last season

AJ had centers who could play. Something Nelson had been after forever. Suddenly there are 2 centers who could play. The year before, they had Dampier and Bradley. Before that, they had Bradley and 3 all-star PFs. Bradley was never much but he was never much + injured his last couple of years.

As soon as Nelson left, AJ stroked Cuban's ego and said the right things. As long as they have Dirk and a couple of scorers and rebounders they have a good team. AJ inherited most of it.

The three Mavs Centers are role players at best! Not like Avery has a huge talent upgrade at Center compared to what Nelson had! Nelson had Walker, Fortson and Jamison for that one season and that is more talent than is there now.

Avery would not be getting the results if he was not a very good coach

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:14 am
walker and jamison are not centers. but Avery has been making the team overperform
ImageImage
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:00 pm
AJ has had guys who are actual centers who can guard centers. They are role players but they take the pressure off of Dirk. Dirk doesn't have to play center. With the rest of the PFs that Nelson had, Dirk was the only 7 footer.

Dirk was almost the center by default. Fortson is about 6'7", Antoine about 6'8", Jamison about 6'9". Those three and Dirk all are PFs. They're too slow to guard SFs and too short or slight to guard centers.

Last year, AJ could start Diop, bring in Damp after a while and, if necessary, bring in DJ. If the other team went small, then he could play Dirk at center. It made a big difference. If Nelson had had that lineup, plus Nash at PG, what could he have done?

Cuban let a guy go that's won the MVP two years in a row. The team got better. Was it because he got rid of that dead weight, Steve Nash or because the team is able to make better use of the Dirk/actual center dynamic?

In my view, all Cuban had to do was shut up and find a way to get Nelson a couple of useable centers, like AJ has. He didn't have to subtract Nash and watch him turn into the darling of the NBA.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:17 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:walker and jamison are not centers. but Avery has been making the team overperform

My point is that Nelson had better talent to work with than Avery. He had Nash as well!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:31 pm
David wrote:AJ has had guys who are actual centers who can guard centers. They are role players but they take the pressure off of Dirk. Dirk doesn't have to play center. With the rest of the PFs that Nelson had, Dirk was the only 7 footer.

The three Centers can certainly play defense decently but they are all a liability offensively (Since Dampier is such a slack prik). Avery still has to devise very good offense because of that fact

David wrote:Dirk was almost the center by default. Fortson is about 6'7", Antoine about 6'8", Jamison about 6'9". Those three and Dirk all are PFs. They're too slow to guard SFs and too short or slight to guard centers.

Point is that that was a VERY talented team! Nelson should have been able to go further with that lineup!

David wrote:Last year, AJ could start Diop, bring in Damp after a while and, if necessary, bring in DJ. If the other team went small, then he could play Dirk at center. It made a big difference. If Nelson had had that lineup, plus Nash at PG, what could he have done?

What the improved Center situation has done for Avery is that he can now employ a much better defensive system so it has made a big difference but only a great coach can make it happen. Having Nash on his team would have made Avery's Mavs be champions right now!

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:21 am
The talent Nelson had, all played the same position. You could play two on the floor at a time but they played out of position to make it work. Plus, Antoine Walker is one of the biggest ball-hogs ever. He's not that good of a shooter. The other teams played off of him and kept Dirk from receiving the pass from Walker. Antoine didn't want to pass it anyway.

Antoine also proved to be a terrible free throw shooter. He almost had a mental thing about it. Antoine could drive the basket but if he got fouled, it did no good. He'd shoot 50% at best. Until the Mavs got him, I thought he was a pretty talented player.

There are more things than talent. It has to be the right talent, used in the right way. It was a miracle the Mavs won 52 games that year. The roster was an abortion.

All Star
Poster Credit: 7
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:29 am
David wrote:The talent Nelson had, all played the same position. You could play two on the floor at a time but they played out of position to make it work. Plus, Antoine Walker is one of the biggest ball-hogs ever. He's not that good of a shooter. The other teams played off of him and kept Dirk from receiving the pass from Walker. Antoine didn't want to pass it anyway.

Antoine also proved to be a terrible free throw shooter. He almost had a mental thing about it. Antoine could drive the basket but if he got fouled, it did no good. He'd shoot 50% at best. Until the Mavs got him, I thought he was a pretty talented player.

There are more things than talent. It has to be the right talent, used in the right way. It was a miracle the Mavs won 52 games that year. The roster was an abortion.

1. Nelson put that team together, including acquiring the players.

2. Nelson did not emphasis defense with his team.

3. AJ took that talent, emphasized playing defense (a necessity to advance in the playoffs), and got the team to the NBA Finals, something that Nelson has never done.

You should be appreciative of the job that AJ has done instead of pining for the return of Nelson. He, Nelson, is now our problem at Golden State.

Get over it; we don't need any Maverick trolls on the Golden State board.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:57 am
Nelson is the Warriors solution :roll: slotempo you are a troll in denial,come out the closet and go support the Kings you admire so much, Too bad you cant trade fans :!: David for slotempo straight up :mrgreen:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:10 am
uptempo wrote:Get over it; we don't need any Maverick trolls on the Golden State board.

:scratch: Why is he a troll for contributing with his own opinion (which ain't that different from mine) to the thread?

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:54 am
The answer to that is David approves of the direction of the Warriors, slotempo doesnt and likes the direction the Kings are going while claiming to be a Warrior fan :!: uptempo's screen name is even a contradiction by not supporting Don Nelson the uptempo guru :crazy:

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:06 am
O.G. broe wrote:The answer to that is David approves of the direction of the Warriors, slotempo doesnt and likes the direction the Kings are going while claiming to be a Warrior fan :!: uptempo's screen name is even a contradiction by not supporting Don Nelson the uptempo guru :crazy:

It would be one thing if you attacked the message instead of the messenger. So, once again, OG sister (aka David aka Vida), you lose credibility.

You have a wierd obcession with the kings, yet you claim to be a Warrior fan. What gives? Yes, Petrie has outmaneuvered Mullin, but so has the front offices of the lakers, clippers (this really pi$$es me off), and the suns. Why do you constantly bring up the kings.

A faster, uptempo team, is precisely what the Warriors should employ, given the talent that resides here at the point guard and shooting guard positions. This does not mean that Don Nelson is the best choice to develop this team. In order to build a championship caliber team, inside play, defense, and rebounding need to also be emphasized. These components of a championship team Don Nelson has never emphasized. His teams are entertaining to watch, and may occassionally steal a game from a larger opponent, but come playoff time, his teams fold like a house of cards. Look at how Avery Johnson was able to take the same cast of players and get them to rebound and play individual and team defense. Is Avery Johnson smarter than Don Nelson? I highly doubt it; however, Avery Johnson is coaching to win a championship; Don Nelson coaches to experiment with smaller lineups.

We Warrior fans, especially us long suffering season ticket holders, deserve to see a plan to compete for a championship. This team needs to look forward, not backward. If Mullin and Co. were serious about wanting to win a championship and had decided to go back to the Warrior past to bring in a "new" head coach, why not hire Al Attles, a guy who had brought this team a championship banner and also coached small ball before Nelson had even begun his coaching career. Al Attles had Jamal Wilkes (then known as Keith) playing power forward with Rick Barry at small forward. Al Attles played up to 11-12 men each night, depending on who was hot and how best to matchup to the opposition. Al Attles had undersized, journeymen guys like Clifford Ray, Derek Dickey, and Charles "the Hopper" Dudley playing tenacious defense. Bottom line, Al Attles brought the team a championship and Don Nelson brought the team shame and embarrassement.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:14 am
Quit contradicting yourself, If it were up to you Musselman would be the head coach (READ 0 Titles 0 playoffs 0 playing experience) instead of Nellie :crazy:

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:15 am
O.G. broe wrote:Quit contradicting yourself, If it were up to you Musselman would be the head coach (READ 0 Titles 0 playoffs 0 playing experience) instead of Nellie :crazy:

Are you saying that Monty was a better coach than Musselman?

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:19 am
O.G. broe wrote:Quit contradicting yourself, If it were up to you Musselman would be the head coach (READ 0 Titles 0 playoffs 0 playing experience) instead of Nellie :crazy:

Also, try addressing the issues concerning the team instead of engaging in your juvenile vitriol of attacking posters. Your act is getting stale and old. Most people on this board contribute with ideas and opinions; you just act as an apologist for marginal play, marginal talent, and a marginal front office.

Just because you got some more sand stuck in your clitoris doe not mean that we want to read your whine.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball