Players Don Nelson Will Help/Hinder

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Nelson's overall effect make the Warriors better or worse as a whole?

Much Better! 50 Wins!
12
29%
He'll wake up Golden State's talent... 40 wins.
26
63%
Nelson won't help. Same record.
2
5%
He'll pull a Larry Brown and actually make the team WORSE.
1
2%
 
Total votes : 41

User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:54 pm
Location: Sherman, TX
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:27 pm
This Warriors roster is quite a bit better than the roster he started with in Dallas. Just about the only guy to stay during Nellie's tenure in Dallas was Michael Finley. Richardson should fill that role here and probably be better. Nelson wasted a couple of years trying out PGs. Davis should handle that from the word go, if he stays healthy.

One guy I really like that I don't see mentioned much is this guy, Chewbacca, or whatever his name is. He played great at Phoenix until Danny Fortson hard fouled him. He hasn't been the same since. He looks like a guy Nelson could develop. Murphy looks like a Nellie guy, also.

Count on Nelson to surprise you by accentuating some skill of a guy you didn't notice.

*Note* I'm not saying Nelson is the perfect coach. He's just damn good and he is definitely an asset to the team. It's like you have an extra high draft choice. He'll make that kind of difference. The players have to buy into his system and everybody'll have a lot of fun. *End Note*
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:53 am
Location: where you aren't
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:41 pm
david. just out of curiosity why are you a warriors fan if you live in texas? A state with 5 NBA championships and two of last years three best records?
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:05 pm
We'd like Zarko but he DOES NOT play any defense whatsoever.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:08 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:david. just out of curiosity why are you a warriors fan if you live in texas? A state with 5 NBA championships and two of last years three best records?

I think he said he's a Maverick's fan informing us on Don Nelson's most recent coaching moves.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:05 pm
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:11 pm
i think he can make this team in 40 but dont get ur hope up so high it might be like last year
This is the year
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:14 pm
hellkiller wrote:i think he can make this team in 40 but dont get ur hope up so high it might be like last year

Last year's disaster was all Montgomery-rooted. Baron's attitude, the lack of time for Monta & Ike, the misuse of Ike when he WAS in, the continual play of Dunleavy and Foyle... the list goes on and on.

Nelly will have a better record this year than Monty did last year. That's a promise.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:16 pm
Hopes are high right now, it really is time to wait and see, pray Nelson doesn't blow up on a player. That would be the only worst case scenario I'm imagining.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:18 pm
David wrote:This Warriors roster is quite a bit better than the roster he started with in Dallas. Just about the only guy to stay during Nellie's tenure in Dallas was Michael Finley. Richardson should fill that role here and probably be better. Nelson wasted a couple of years trying out PGs. Davis should handle that from the word go, if he stays healthy.

One guy I really like that I don't see mentioned much is this guy, Chewbacca, or whatever his name is. He played great at Phoenix until Danny Fortson hard fouled him. He hasn't been the same since. He looks like a guy Nelson could develop. Murphy looks like a Nellie guy, also.

Count on Nelson to surprise you by accentuating some skill of a guy you didn't notice.

*Note* I'm not saying Nelson is the perfect coach. He's just damn good and he is definitely an asset to the team. It's like you have an extra high draft choice. He'll make that kind of difference. The players have to buy into his system and everybody'll have a lot of fun. *End Note*




Nelson certainly has a history of getting the most out of the majority of his players! I expect athletes like JRich, Pietrus and Monta to benefit or at least have the chance to benefit the most. The guy that I'm most worried about not getting much chance is Diogu, the best low post player on the team and perhaps the player with the greatest potential to be effective!
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:20 pm
#32 wrote:Nelly will have a better record this year than Monty did last year. That's a promise.



I'm expecting a much better season that surprises everyone (if there are no major injuries to key players)! I reckon 50 wins for this season
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Starting Lineup
Posts: 577
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:54 pm
Location: Sherman, TX
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:59 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:david. just out of curiosity why are you a warriors fan if you live in texas? A state with 5 NBA championships and two of last years three best records?

I'm a Mavs fan. The Warriors have our coach.

I like the job Avery Johnson has done, but Don Nelson should still be in Dallas. I thought he had retired for good. As it turns out, Cuban ran him out of town.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Warriors will be a playoff team. Nelson will find a way to turn things around. I think he has something to prove. He's watched Phoenix, with his PG and his system, have great success. Had he been left to max out his system in Dallas I think he would have already won the NBA championship. He had to placate Cuban and ended up with players Cuban wanted instead of the players he wanted.

I think he would have found a way, in last year's finals, to win against the old, washed up Miami Heat.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:09 pm
David wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:david. just out of curiosity why are you a warriors fan if you live in texas? A state with 5 NBA championships and two of last years three best records?

I'm a Mavs fan. The Warriors have our coach.

I like the job Avery Johnson has done, but Don Nelson should still be in Dallas. I thought he had retired for good. As it turns out, Cuban ran him out of town.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Warriors will be a playoff team. Nelson will find a way to turn things around. I think he has something to prove. He's watched Phoenix, with his PG and his system, have great success. Had he been left to max out his system in Dallas I think he would have already won the NBA championship. He had to placate Cuban and ended up with players Cuban wanted instead of the players he wanted.

I think he would have found a way, in last year's finals, to win against the old, washed up Miami Heat.




Seems like the Mavs have been better with Avery than with Nelson. More defense and more success last season
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:15 pm
Yeah, it seems Avery is a better motivator and rallyer (while being adept at substiutions and game plans and such), while Nelson is the basketball genius!
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:15 am
John Patrick wrote:We'd like Zarko but he DOES NOT play any defense whatsoever.


And that's why we don't like him. :wink:
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:18 am
David wrote:This Warriors roster is quite a bit better than the roster he started with in Dallas. Just about the only guy to stay during Nellie's tenure in Dallas was Michael Finley. Richardson should fill that role here and probably be better. Nelson wasted a couple of years trying out PGs. Davis should handle that from the word go, if he stays healthy.


Yeah, that's true, but the offense is loaded right now. It won't be easy.

migya wrote:Seems like the Mavs have been better with Avery than with Nelson. More defense and more success last season


I don't think so. Avery has done a fine enough job, but I think he's a good motivator, not sure about coaching yet. He also inherited Nellie's team, one of the best rosters of the league. He persuaded them to play more defense, sure, but it's still Nellie's team.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21382
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:46 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Seems like the Mavs have been better with Avery than with Nelson. More defense and more success last season


I don't think so. Avery has done a fine enough job, but I think he's a good motivator, not sure about coaching yet. He also inherited Nellie's team, one of the best rosters of the league. He persuaded them to play more defense, sure, but it's still Nellie's team.



A team that Avery took further than Nelson did and it ws only his first full season being coach :wink:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron