Players Don Nelson Will Help/Hinder

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Will Nelson's overall effect make the Warriors better or worse as a whole?

Much Better! 50 Wins!
29%
He'll wake up Golden State's talent... 40 wins.
63%
Nelson won't help. Same record.
5%
He'll pull a Larry Brown and actually make the team WORSE.
2%

Total votes : 41

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:49 pm
kfresh wrote:i don't know if anyone has asked this already,

but who is that ONE guy who voted for the "larry brown effect" in the poll. hahaha

I was wondering the same thing... but I just assumed it was JRich and moved on. :wink:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:03 am
madape wrote:That's a common criticism, but it's false. The Mavs made it to the Western Conference finals under Nelson and I beleive the Bucks made it to the Eastern Conference finals three times under Nelson. That Maverick team was actually about in the middle of the league in terms of points per possession. They played an uptempo offensive style, so there were more possessions, and therefore more points per game... but the Mavs actually had some pretty decent defensive teams.

Of course, you know that Nelson's Milwalkee teams were some of the best in the league during his tenure.

So I wouldn't say that Nelson doesn't know how to coach defense. He is one of the best offensive coaches of all time, definitely the most innovative. But that shouldn't mean that his teams were as poor defensively as Charles Barkley and TNT would have you beleive. It's just not true. And he certainly shouldn't be considered a coach that is only good for the regular season. As a Mav fan, I can say that I very much enjoyed seeing the team win playoff series after playoff series under Nelson. Milwalkee fans probably remember all those playoff series wins fondly as well... and I'm sure Warrior fans will enjoy seeing their team do the same in the very near future.

Yeah, welcome to the board, madape.

I think part of the problem here is the Run-TMC team Nellie had the last time he coached here. That team was exactly what uptempo says, mainly because they didn't have an inside threat. They had to win running and shooting, and their defense, while not abysmal, wasn't one to be proud of, allowing many points (due to that style of bball)... which, in case your shots weren't falling, means that the other team wins.

But not all Nellie teams have been like that. Your post explains it pretty well.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:51 am
Yeah, I just think it's a matter of Nellie making the players put in effort. If he does, it'll show up on the defensive end.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:52 pm
madape wrote:
uptempo wrote:The difference between an Al Attles coached team and a Don Nelson coached team is that an Al Attles coached team played tenacious defense, while a Don Nelson coached team believes that defense is something that is only played by an Eastern Conference teams. That is why a Don Nelson coached team never gets beyond the second round of the playoffs.

That's a common criticism, but it's false. The Mavs made it to the Western Conference finals under Nelson and I beleive the Bucks made it to the Eastern Conference finals three times under Nelson. That Maverick team was actually about in the middle of the league in terms of points per possession. They played an uptempo offensive style, so there were more possessions, and therefore more points per game... but the Mavs actually had some pretty decent defensive teams.

Of course, you know that Nelson's Milwalkee teams were some of the best in the league during his tenure.

So I wouldn't say that Nelson doesn't know how to coach defense. He is one of the best offensive coaches of all time, definitely the most innovative. But that shouldn't mean that his teams were as poor defensively as Charles Barkley and TNT would have you beleive. It's just not true. And he certainly shouldn't be considered a coach that is only good for the regular season. As a Mav fan, I can say that I very much enjoyed seeing the team win playoff series after playoff series under Nelson. Milwalkee fans probably remember all those playoff series wins fondly as well... and I'm sure Warrior fans will enjoy seeing their team do the same in the very near future.

Well said and totally true! Most people don't notice any defense with Nelson's teams because they played such a good and sometimes unorthodox offense. The Mavs were not great but solid defensively under nelson and they came close to winning a championship. Who knows, if things go really well here and Nelson's health is never an issue, he might hang around for quite a few years and maybe just lead the team to a championship

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:37 pm
migya wrote:
madape wrote:
uptempo wrote:The difference between an Al Attles coached team and a Don Nelson coached team is that an Al Attles coached team played tenacious defense, while a Don Nelson coached team believes that defense is something that is only played by an Eastern Conference teams. That is why a Don Nelson coached team never gets beyond the second round of the playoffs.

That's a common criticism, but it's false. The Mavs made it to the Western Conference finals under Nelson and I beleive the Bucks made it to the Eastern Conference finals three times under Nelson. That Maverick team was actually about in the middle of the league in terms of points per possession. They played an uptempo offensive style, so there were more possessions, and therefore more points per game... but the Mavs actually had some pretty decent defensive teams.

Well said and totally true! Most people don't notice any defense with Nelson's teams because they played such a good and sometimes unorthodox offense. The Mavs were not great but solid defensively under nelson and they came close to winning a championship. Who knows, if things go really well here and Nelson's health is never an issue, he might hang around for quite a few years and maybe just lead the team to a championship

Agreed. If it's anyone it's Nelson's style. It just all depends on how the players react and perform during the campaigns.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:01 pm
HEY!!!

Which one of you bastards called KNBR the other night and tried reading my article here off to Damon??? :mrgreen:

The whole talk about "the only difference between Dirk and Murphy is one inch and percentages"... along with the very noticable "if Murphy averaged 17-18 and 10 next year, I wouldn't be surprised" at the end! Somebody read this article and called up 680 to get some air time!

Come on, somebody had to have. Unless it was one of those asswad guests. Damon kept calling the guy "John" (which is kinda funny, since that's my real name).

I'm actually kind of flattered, to be honest. This is the first time somebody's plagerized me on air. :)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:34 pm
Maybe someone can send in some of my pics off the cheerleaders thread! :mrgreen:

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:39 pm
:D :D :D
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 pm
migya wrote:Maybe someone can send in some of my pics off the cheerleaders thread! :mrgreen:

Hard to get that sort of enjoyment across on the radio... unless your goal is to give Radnich and Damon some jack-off material. :-s
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:05 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:Maybe someone can send in some of my pics off the cheerleaders thread! :mrgreen:

Hard to get that sort of enjoyment across on the radio... unless your goal is to give Radnich and Damon some jack-off material. :-s

No reason for that! :oops:

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:54 pm
Wow really? Looks like someone is trying to get the credit for 32's handy work. :shock: It's not me, I don't talk to KNBR, I only listen to the ball games there.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:55 pm
I'm not sweating it too much. At least I know SOMEBODY's reading this stuff. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:00 pm
Well hey, you never know. This forum could become popular and they'd look at our posts. Then when they notice some interesting posts you put up they'll either ask you to become a topic starter/speaker for them or they'll just steal your material.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:03 pm
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Well hey, you never know. This forum could become popular and they'd look at our posts. Then when they notice some interesting posts you put up they'll either ask you to become a topic starter/speaker for them or they'll just steal your material.

Not stealing my shiit god dammit, I want royalties :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:34 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Well hey, you never know. This forum could become popular and they'd look at our posts. Then when they notice some interesting posts you put up they'll either ask you to become a topic starter/speaker for them or they'll just steal your material.

Hey, maybe we could end up having a radio show... :mrgreen:
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball