Page 1 of 2

Remember Gary "The Saint" Jean, more like "Th

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:52 pm
by rtoy06
How could i forget about the man who f**ked up the Warrirors with his lousy and pathetic draft. The not-so Saint drafted Foyle, Fuller, traded away Carter and Foster. This man should never ever be allowed in the NBA. He crappy tenure in Sacramento is one example of a loser.

I am glad Mullin is on board and hopefully in two to three years the team will become a contender in the Pacific.

Re: Remember Gary "The Saint" Jean, more like &quo

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:58 pm
by TMC
He also drafted J-Rich, Murphy and Arenas...

He wasn't a great GM, but not every single move was bad.

Re: Remember Gary "The Saint" Jean, more like &

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:11 pm
by O.G. Broe
TMC wrote:He also drafted J-Rich, Murphy and Arenas...

He wasn't a great GM, but not every single move was bad.
So given that at least he gave the Warriors 2 intricate players to rebuild with :!:

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:03 pm
by tkono
maybe he got some diamonds in the rough, but he didn't win the jackpot..

Tim

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:12 pm
by rtoy06
He was an idiot for not resigning Arenas. Maybe that was Mullin fault.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:19 pm
by O.G. Broe
rtoy06 wrote:He was an idiot for not resigning Arenas. Maybe that was Mullin fault.
How about neither :!:

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:51 pm
by uptempo
O.G. broe wrote:
rtoy06 wrote:He was an idiot for not resigning Arenas. Maybe that was Mullin fault.
How about neither :!:


OG, you are correct here. The team did not have the cap space to re-sign Gilbert. Even with the mid-level exception, and signing Gilbert for one season with the understanding that he would be given a bigger longer term contract after that one season, it just would not make sense for Gilbert to give up the money that Washington could (and did) offer him.

It sucks, but the team was not willing to break the bank and pay the luxury tax for paying Gilbert his fair market value.

St. Jean and Mullin have both made really bad moves from the front office, but they also made some good ones, too.

The most galling thing about this franchise is that it never seems to have a real strategic plan for improvement...it always changes.

Re: Remember Gary "The Saint" Jean, more like &quo

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:34 pm
by 32
rtoy06 wrote:I am glad Mullin is on board and hopefully in two to three years the team will become a contender in the Pacific.

Here here! :forthosewhothinkyoung:

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:50 pm
by ~W~
I thought the warriors COULDNT sign Gilbert PERIOD. I am sure warriors wanted to, but this was before the mid level exception began, and perhaps one reason why it began. This one you BLAME the system...

uptempo wrote:
O.G. broe wrote:
rtoy06 wrote:He was an idiot for not resigning Arenas. Maybe that was Mullin fault.
How about neither :!:


OG, you are correct here. The team did not have the cap space to re-sign Gilbert. Even with the mid-level exception, and signing Gilbert for one season with the understanding that he would be given a bigger longer term contract after that one season, it just would not make sense for Gilbert to give up the money that Washington could (and did) offer him.

It sucks, but the team was not willing to break the bank and pay the luxury tax for paying Gilbert his fair market value.

St. Jean and Mullin have both made really bad moves from the front office, but they also made some good ones, too.

The most galling thing about this franchise is that it never seems to have a real strategic plan for improvement...it always changes.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:21 pm
by uptempo
[quote="~W~"]I thought the warriors COULDNT sign Gilbert PERIOD. I am sure warriors wanted to, but this was before the mid level exception began, and perhaps one reason why it began. This one you BLAME the system...quote]

You are correct. The team could not re-sign him.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:25 pm
by loyaltyisacurse
uptempo wrote:
~W~ wrote:I thought the warriors COULDNT sign Gilbert PERIOD. I am sure warriors wanted to, but this was before the mid level exception began, and perhaps one reason why it began. This one you BLAME the system...quote]

You are correct. The team could not re-sign him.
Actually, they could have if they were willing to pay the luxury tax, and obviously they did not.

Its kind of funny though, for recenty Mullin said Cohan was willing to pay the Luxury tax to get an impact player if needed.

Hmmmm...

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:28 pm
by uptempo
loyaltyisacurse wrote:
uptempo wrote:
~W~ wrote:I thought the warriors COULDNT sign Gilbert PERIOD. I am sure warriors wanted to, but this was before the mid level exception began, and perhaps one reason why it began. This one you BLAME the system...quote]

You are correct. The team could not re-sign him.
Actually, they could have if they were willing to pay the luxury tax, and obviously they did not.

Its kind of funny though, for recenty Mullin said Cohan was willing to pay the Luxury tax to get an impact player if needed.

Hmmmm...


I remember Gilbert saying that he would've re-signed (for less money) with the Warriors if Cohan would have met with him (read: shown some owner love).

As long as the team has fans who do not hold the ownership, front office, coaching staff, and players accountable, there never will be the incentive to produce a winning team. Let's face it, the fan base is passive. Hell, whenever the Lakers or Kings come to town, the Arena is packed with opposing teams' fans.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:45 pm
by Yoyo
Also, the Warriors don't even care to put on music during home games. What's up with that...

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:44 am
by O.G. Broe
Just some Wack time warped 70's live band singing disco love songs :sleeping: They should just have a good DJ spinning :headbang: Also the overall fan participation during the game especially when it counts the most is wack but so is the arena's rally efforts :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:11 am
by TMC
loyaltyisacurse wrote:Actually, they could have if they were willing to pay the luxury tax, and obviously they did not.


No, they couldn't go over the cap to sign him, because St. Jean only signed him to a two year contract. That was St. Jean's mistake. Back in that day, you could only go over the cap to sign a player as long as you had the "Bird rights" to that player, which means that you could only go over the cap to sign him if he had been playing for the team for three consecutive years.

So St. signed the the first rounders to the usual 3+1 (team option) year contract and only a two year contract to Arenas. We just could not match any offer over the cap for him.