San Antonio in 1st round

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:55 am
The team plays San Antonio in the 1st round and though many have said that is a favorable matchup for the Warriors, I think the Spurs can be a very tough matchup. They have experience unlike any other team and Ginobili had been stepping up lately and he is one of the greatest playoff performers in nba history. They have veterans that can rise to the occasion, like Aldridge and Rudy Gay, as well as Parker ego like Ginobili had won multiple championships.

I think the Spurs have been pretty weak this season but are a threat unlike any other team in the West playoffs. Much rather have gotten New Orleans, who have Anthony Davis but little playoff experience. Think in a playoff series they'll fold easier than any other West playoff team.

Should be interesting and the team without Curry has alot to prove.

Site Admin
» Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:02 pm
I don't disagree that they can be a tough matchup, I'm ok with the Spurs, without Kawhi of course.

Some Pros and Cons as I see with this match up:

Pros:
- We mostly own Aldridge in the Kerr era, and even when he performs well it mostly just empty stats and volume. At the very least we are capable of mitigating his output.
- Guys like Parker and Manu are old.
- Gay shouldn't be much of a threat offensively.

Cons:
- It's the Spurs.
- Coach Pop.
- One of the few benches that can consistently outperform our own, even with Curry.
- It'll be a boring series.

We should win easily, but I can see the Spurs taking a game or two early on considering our lack of intensity lately, which has to be our biggest concern. Hopefully the guys come in to the playoffs ready to compete, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it take a loss or two, or a close series overall, to light a fire under them.

There's been a lot of talk about the "switch" this season, so we'll see if that's real or not. I believe it is, but it's more of a slow lever rather than a button that takes so much pressure, and when it does click, then it's a floodgate of shooting and fastbreaks.

Iggy, Livingston, and West should be huge for us, besides our big 3, because this is one of the few teams where their age will play a major role.

I would be surprised if Steph plays at all outside a game 6 or 7, if it comes to that. He is being evaluated Saturday, but I've heard he's yet to demonstrate any lateral mobility which is the key with his injury.

My prediction is Warriors in 5.

Site Admin
» Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:50 pm
Great start to the playoffs! Even though the Spurs aren't the Spurs they've been over the past 2 decades (it's pretty clear they just don't have the talent), this should silence some of the critics.

Javale was a monster out there, particularly in the 1st half. I was surprised he didn't lead us in +/- because it felt like his early contributions built the lead that SAS was never able to cut into.

KD was great, his gravity and willing passing really opened things up for others.

Draymond was solid, but he really needs to stop being so sloppy and stop taking dumb shots and chances.

Klay was the MVP. As much as there's no answer for KD or Curry, good luck when Klay is heating up. Besides Steph, there may not be a bigger offensive force when they catch fire, and few can put a game away as quick as him. As always, his D was incredible, shutting down almost every SAS player at one point or another. :D

Hall of Famer
» Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 pm
Didn't see the game, was 3am here, saw highlights and the team took care of business. Mcgee is a great fit to defend Aldridge and showed his value with his skillset of jumping and quickness, his shotblocking in particular. Klay was great, barely missed and it'd be great to see him have a great series

All Star
» Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:44 am
Ha ha Skip Bayless wrote on twitter....

''This is so different than Game1 last year at Oracle when the Spurs led by 23 mid 3rd quarter. Zaza Pacheapshot happened. With a healthy Kawhi, Spurs would've won last year's championship. With a happy Kawhi they would've won this year's championship.''

Site Admin
» Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:25 pm
Bayless is a shameless homer. It's so predictable that he'd say some butthurt crap about last year and Zaza, so pathetic. LOL @ the Spurs winning the chip last year too - sure, it's possible, but to state that as fact is childish and show how much of a poor sport he is. He's a professional troll who offers zero insight.

All Star
» Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:24 pm
JREED wrote:Bayless is a shameless homer. It's so predictable that he'd say some butthurt crap about last year and Zaza, so pathetic. LOL @ the Spurs winning the chip last year too - sure, it's possible, but to state that as fact is childish and show how much of a poor sport he is. He's a professional troll who offers zero insight.

Yea whenever the topic is brought up, Skip always resorts to Zaza and says he knows they would have won.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:46 am
Another win in game 2 and the team showed some fight by playing much better in the second half. Interesting that the Spurs played more of an inside game and did well. Mcgee wasn't as good defensively and I think Kerr should use Pachulia a bit. Good to see Klay again shoot great.

Should be harder in San Antonio.

All Star
» Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:32 am
Long time fellows ! Spurs are missing their major link in Kawhi. Overall everyone has turned it on for the playoffs, but I am always cautious of the Spurs due to their coach.

Site Admin
» Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:48 am
Pop's wife passed yesterday, which sucks. I'm not going to try to apply that to the series at all, other than he won't be there for game 3. There's a lot that far more important than basketball.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:57 am
3-0 now and a good effort by the team.

Condolences to Greg Popovich and his team also, who obviously feel the sadness.

Hopefully the team can sweep, even if that means one game more without Curry in the second round.

Site Admin
» Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:27 am
I think a sweep is exactly what we need. Get some time off, some rest for our old guys, and an extra practice here and there. It was a long, brutal, injury-plagued season.

Site Admin
» Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:30 pm
Damn the Spurs made that way too interesting...

Oh, and Klay was the MVP this series.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:49 pm
I just don't understand how this Warriors ' roster can struggle on offense. Durant should drive all the way alot more and shoot jump spurs as much. Livingston and Iguodala can also drive and draw fouls pretty well. Had they'd been against a better scoring team they would have lost easily.