Oh no. James is ahead of KD for points per game

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:39 am
And KD is a 4 time scoring champ, James only 1 time scoring champ. KD was ahead of Lebron for many years on the all time scoring average. But Durant coming to the Warriors has brought his point average down a few points the last couple of years. It's only a .02 difference right now. But it's gonna be hard for KD to consistently catch and stay ahead of Lebron because he's playing with the Warriors, whereas Lebron is doing all the work right now for the Cavs.

So it's not a fair way to judge if you go by points per game because KD is now playing in a system where he can't maximize his points and Lebron is playing in a system where it helps him maximize his points. This is the trade off Durant has made. By trying to catch James in rings, he ultimately has to sacrifice some of his personal scoring stats.

My question is this. Is Lebron trying hard for personal stats in the regular season? In the playoffs there always seems to be the narrative that Lebron is too tired. Well, why is he playing so many minutes at his age in the regular season then? My opinion is that Lebron knows that he only has a punchers chance each year to win the Finals and so therefore he wants to try to maximize his stats and chances for more MVP awards incase he doesn't win the chip. Ever since the Warriors became a force in the league, other players have went hard for MVPS and stats such as Harden and Westbrook. They know their chances of winning the ring is low so therefore they have to prove themselves individually.

I'm a little upset because I know that Durant can beat James in points if that was his goal. Outscored him in the Finals. But unfortunately James is gonna keep on getting stats, whereas Durant cannot because he's in a real system that is designed to win and spread the wealth. I just find it funny though how James will always get praise for his near triple double stat line, when Westbrook already averaged a triple double. They both play in systems that allow them to maximize their stats. But at least Durant is a 4 times scoring champ. James will never be that.

All Star
» Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:36 pm
I know Skip is a contrarian but I do agree with Skip here. Skip is saying that Lebron is even playing in late 4th quarters where the game has already been decided, but continues to go to try to add to his stats. He says since in the back of his mind he doesn't think he'll catch Jordan in rings and so he has to try to make a case for GOAT by producing more stats. I'm upset that Lebron does that, in a sense it's selfish and egotistical and it does fool some people when they look at the stats. I watch sometimes and that's the sense I get. Like in the Finals, Lebron didn't seem to think he was gonna win last year, but kept going and going late in the games when it was already decided, to try to get his triple double.