Media been saying weird things about Curry's ranking as a player

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 pm
The media has been defending Curry and saying he is indeed a top 10 player. But where did this narrative even come from? The way I see it, is you can have your best 5 players and then have a healthy debate on who you would have on your team. But where did this narrative come from: whether Curry shouldn't be outside of the top 10?

I do agree with Stephen A Smith that with Curry, you can make a case that he's the most impactful player in the league on some level. I think that should go without saying. He's the greatest shooter, and with his combination of skills, he makes it easier for everyone on the court. You don't win 73 games without a generational talent. But for some reason, fans like to argue about what he can't do.

But what I don't understand is that a year ago Stephen A Smith said that Steph was the BEST player in the game without question. And now he ranks him at Number 5 because he has the utmost respect for him. Curry is still the same player now as he was last year, just with slightly lower production. And with KD joining it goes to show how it's easier for to play with Steph than it is to play with James. James actually had chemistry issues with Bosh.

Well again, I do agree with SAS that Steph is the most impactful player in the game. Arguably at least. You can make a case for Leonard and Lebron obviously. With Westbrook and Harden, I don't think you can make that case because they often put up empty stats that don't result in winning when it counts, going deep in the playoffs.

Another thing I wanna point out is that nowadays it seems like everyone has their own meaning on what best player means. If your definition of best player is who is the best One man team, I would say probably Lebron and you could make a case for Westbrook or Harden if you wanna look at empty stats. As far as best teammate and most impactful player on a good team, I would say Curry or Leonard. Best offensive player? You could make a case for KD. And then there's the best 2 way player debate that Leonard comes out on top in most debates, although some say Klay is right there. Then there's those that say Leonard is the best 2 way, but Lebron is better all around.

But it seemed to me that it was always about winning. Seems like nobody thinks they can beat the Warriors, so they have to create narratives and ask if Curry is even a top 10 player. Then it's weird how the media thinks they're doing him a favor by supporting him and saying he is indeed a top 10 player.

Site Admin
» Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:56 pm
Stairway, I hope some day you learn to ignore media trolls like Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, and Colin Cowherd...

It's simply recency bias; the "what have you done lately" mentality. That, coupled with overvaluing and obsession with traditional stats, and worship of athletic ability, are why fans and media consciously overlook what Curry does and the fact that he is the most valuable and impactful player in the game.

The idea that Curry had a down year because he "failed" to put up the same numbers as he did the past two seasons (of which one was pretty much the GOAT) is objectively wrong. It was proven (via advanced analytics) that he was THE most valuable player last year, that no other player did more to help his team win games and make his teammates better.

But did he average a triple-double? No, he just lead his team to the greatest post season of all-time.

Another aspect is something I'm also guilty of: labeling him as things like "impactful" or saying "makes his teammates better," rather than just saying that he's "the best player." It's much safer to say a player like LeBron or Westbrook is the best, or a top whatever player, but for some reason doing so for Steph is highly debatable. This is not only due to the bias towards traditional stats, but because he's not the athlete those guys are, so obviously he can't be as good, right?

It's just one of those stupid hive-mentality situations, and it'll probably never change.

All Star
» Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:03 pm
I'm actually glad that you see where I'm coming from JReed. In terms of impact, Steph really is on another level. I don't understand people on Colin Cowerd's show that say that Steph was completely overshadowed last year by Durant and is nowhere near the player Durant is. Steph actually averaged the most points for us last year and when KD went down against the Spurs, we still won.

I think Curry is getting downrated by a lot of people. Smart people understand that his shooting and presence tremendously affects the game. I mean, you don't win 73 games by accident. That cannot be downplayed. You don't make 400 3 pointers on accident. And last year he made the 2nd most 3 pointers of all time and still shot over 40 pct. Yet, that is still somehow considered a down year. That's insane.

He may not be the athlete that some players are but in terms of skill, you can say they don't have the same kind of skill he has.

I sincerely hope that Curry understands this and doesn't take it lightly and settle. If last year was a down year, you can only imagine how good he'd look if some of those shots went in.

It's a shame that people think Westbrook is better. I'd like to see him have ''help'' and win 73 games with all those numbers.

Site Admin
» Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:56 pm
Anyone that says Steph is "no where near the player KD is," or any other player for that matter, is just wrong.

One thing I we can say with confidence is that Steph is the most skilled player in the league, and likely of all-time. This is largely due to the fact that when you look at all the other top players, they're all far more gifted physically, yet Curry is at least in the same discussion in general, and on a different planet when it comes to advanced stats and impact.

Just ignore these idiots, I'm sure Steph isn't losing much sleep over their ignorance. I mean, most people that say KD is much better than Steph are probably the same people that said we were better without KD and that he made us a worse team. These people are Warriors haters.

All Star
» Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:49 am
JREED wrote:Anyone that says Steph is "no where near the player KD is," or any other player for that matter, is just wrong.

One thing I we can say with confidence is that Steph is the most skilled player in the league, and likely of all-time. This is largely due to the fact that when you look at all the other top players, they're all far more gifted physically, yet Curry is at least in the same discussion in general, and on a different planet when it comes to advanced stats and impact.

Just ignore these idiots, I'm sure Steph isn't losing much sleep over their ignorance. I mean, most people that say KD is much better than Steph are probably the same people that said we were better without KD and that he made us a worse team. These people are Warriors haters.

Yea and the same people that say Lebron only lost cuz he played against 4 hall of famers also say that Green is a system player and not an all star, and Klay can only shoot 3s, play average defense and do nothing else.

All Star
» Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:07 pm
JReed, a team just doesn't win 73 games with some player who is just a great shooter and that's it. In order to win that many games you need a player that impacts the game like no other. And I find it amazing how people will try to boost up Green's value and say that he's the reason that the Dubs won 73 games.

Draymond Green is a fine player with a lot of heart. But he's responsible for winning the most games ever? What I also realized is that these same people will always say that Green isn't a superstar. That he's just part of a system and would be nobody without Curry.

So people will change their opinion based on the narrative they want.

And then when they want to discredit Durant, they say that he joined 3 superstars. But then other times, when they want to discredit them, they will say they are just system players.

But I cannot believe that people don't realize how significant it is to win 73 games and make 300 or 400 3 pointers in a season. When I was growing up, I used to look at that Bulls record as untouchable and sacred. Perhaps people would give Curry more credit, if Green hadn't been suspended for game 5. Saying that he's only a top 10 player at best is just disrespectful. People must be insecure.

Whether or not you put Curry or Durant as our number 1 option, Curry is without a doubt the head of the snake and we might be the best team ever. Trying to play down Curry's game is very disrespectful.

Site Admin
» Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:52 pm
Who are you arguing with? Your post reads like your debating with me, but I haven't said a single thing that's not in agreement, let alone opposition.

Nobody here is going to disagree over the greatness of Steph or this team, and most outside (that know basketball at least) won't either. Only haters and trolls will, but their opinions aren't worth discussing or acknowledging in the slightest.

All Star
» Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:37 pm
JREED wrote:Who are you arguing with? Your post reads like your debating with me, but I haven't said a single thing that's not in agreement, let alone opposition.

Nobody here is going to disagree over the greatness of Steph or this team, and most outside (that know basketball at least) won't either. Only haters and trolls will, but their opinions aren't worth discussing or acknowledging in the slightest.

Oh no. I was just sort of ranting what was on my mind, pouring things out.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:26 am
As great as Durant is and has been, Curry, to me, is better. He runs the team and as JREED said, he is probably the most skilled playet in nba history. Watching Curry perform is rrally unbelievable, he looks like he is in control of everything.

All Star
» Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:39 am
migya wrote:As great as Durant is and has been, Curry, to me, is better. He runs the team and as JREED said, he is probably the most skilled playet in nba history. Watching Curry perform is rrally unbelievable, he looks like he is in control of everything.

Yes I do think Curry has more impact than Durant. Now Durant definitely holds his own in his own way. But I just find it hilarious how the media went from 2 years ago to wondering if Curry was better than Jordan. And then after that the narrative was Lebron was gonna pass Jordan. And now they are asking us if Durant is as good as Lebron. Or if Curry is a top 5 player. Seems like these narratives change quite quickly.

Site Admin
» Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:39 pm
All good Stairway, I kinda figured that.

Migs, that's a huge part of it. Look at what did at Davidson - as an undersized freshman, he carried a bad team to the tournament, then to their third Elite Eight in school history (their first in almost 40 years), and as a junior he was the NCAA scoring leader and was named a consensus first team All-American.

We're all well aware of how Steph has been slighted and underestimated coming into and being in the pros. His size and "lack of athleticism" has always been a focal point, well before he declared for the draft.

Steph tore it up in highschool, and even back in AAU when he was first noticed by KD. They were both 10 years old. Steph dropped 35 pts on KD's AAU team, but it was his pregame half-court shooting (and making) that really got his attention.

The most impressive thing about Curry being so dominate when he was in AAU and highschool wasn't just that his shooting was absurd, but the fact that he did it WHILE SHOOTING FROM THE HIP! When most kids are shooting layups and using their size and athleticism, even in AAU and HS, he was too small to shoot normally, but he still poured in more buckets.

Obviously Steph doesn't shoot from his hips anymore, so like all players, he had to completely change his shot, bit the difference being that he was amazing before and then the GOAT after. The work and skill that requires while having no physical advantage is insane, and unrivaled in the history of basketball.

All Star
» Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:47 pm
JREED wrote:All good Stairway, I kinda figured that.

Migs, that's a huge part of it. Look at what did at Davidson - as an undersized freshman, he carried a bad team to the tournament, then to their third Elite Eight in school history (their first in almost 40 years), and as a junior he was the NCAA scoring leader and was named a consensus first team All-American.

We're all well aware of how Steph has been slighted and underestimated coming into and being in the pros. His size and "lack of athleticism" has always been a focal point, well before he declared for the draft.

Steph tore it up in highschool, and even back in AAU when he was first noticed by KD. They were both 10 years old. Steph dropped 35 pts on KD's AAU team, but it was his pregame half-court shooting (and making) that really got his attention.

The most impressive thing about Curry being so dominate when he was in AAU and highschool wasn't just that his shooting was absurd, but the fact that he did it WHILE SHOOTING FROM THE HIP! When most kids are shooting layups and using their size and athleticism, even in AAU and HS, he was too small to shoot normally, but he still poured in more buckets.

Obviously Steph doesn't shoot from his hips anymore, so like all players, he had to completely change his shot, bit the difference being that he was amazing before and then the GOAT after. The work and skill that requires while having no physical advantage is insane, and unrivaled in the history of basketball.

What bothers me is that while Steph is the most impressive shooter ever, people always say he's a great shooter and can't do anything else.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:04 pm
Stairway Man wrote:

What bothers me is that while Steph is the most impressive shooter ever, people always say he's a great shooter and can't do anything else.

Because the guy is a freak and noone can do what he does.

Jordan was an athletic freak, Shaq was a huge sized freak, Lebron is a physical freak and now Curry is an even more extreme type of freak.

All Star
» Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 pm
migya wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:

Because the guy is a freak and noone can do what he does.

Jordan was an athletic freak, Shaq was a huge sized freak, Lebron is a physical freak and now Curry is an even more extreme type of freak.

He is a freak in his own way but a lot of people wanna downplay his game and act like he's just a little kid that only shoots and doesn't know how to play the real game. That's how some people see him as. Just a little kid that is only good for shooting.