Center and backup Power Forward positions

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:10 am
Can Damian Jones, a second-year player who had limited playing time last season, 2nd round rookie draft pick Jordan Bell, and free agent rookie Chris Boucher adequately replace ZaZa Pachulia, JaVale McGee, and James Michael McAdoo?

Also, does Kevon Looney look "slow," even "old" in his movement on the court? I really want to see the kid make it; however, I see him as being a shadow of his former self with his lingering hip issues.

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:50 pm
They have to resign Pachulia. Got a feeling they will get Bogut again also.

All Star
» Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 am
migya wrote:They have to resign Pachulia. Got a feeling they will get Bogut again also.

Neither Pachulia nor Bogut can defend the pick-and-roll.

Also, Bogut has a history of being a "no show" whenever the team needed him, especially in the playoffs.

Site Admin
» Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:17 pm
migya wrote:They have to resign Pachulia. Got a feeling they will get Bogut again also.
Reportedly the deal with Zaza is done: 1 yr $3.5 mil.

Bogut said in an interview recently, "I anticipate something getting done in about a week or two’s time..." He also said,
They’re all competitive and winning clubs. I’m hoping a few more sneak in there once a few more players have settled. Money won’t be the number one driver, there are other factors I’m looking at, such as role and winning.

I think it's safe to say we aren't won of those teams, not after signing Zaza. IMO, Zaza is far more valuable than Bogut, not because he's better (if Bogut is healthy he's probably better), but his injuries make him too big of a gamble. Boges probably wouldn't accept the vet minimum, and even if he would, despite frontcourt depth (which is pretty good), we couldn't afford to lose our one true, starting caliber, veteran center for any large length of time.

uptempo wrote:Neither Pachulia nor Bogut can defend the pick-and-roll.

Also, Bogut has a history of being a "no show" whenever the team needed him, especially in the playoffs.
Few bigs can defend the PnR, that's why it's so effective against them. That said, both of them are at least above average at it. Javale was awful at defending the PnR - the only reason he had any success against it was because he was told to only "stick to x" and was hidden by our amazing team D.

The Dubs are, or at least were, reportedly pursuing Miami's Willie Reed, but no news there since resigning Zaza.

The only way we improve at C is if Jones emerges as at least a contributing 5. The other guys are 4s and small-ball 5s.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 pm
Wasn't last year's 1st rounder a Center

All Star
» Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 am
migya wrote:Wasn't last year's 1st rounder a Center

Damian Jones, a second-year player and last year's first round draft pick, is a long, lean, but still very green, center, who also is projected to play power forward.

All Star
» Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:16 am
But JReed, most of Bogut's injuries have been accidents. That one in Cleveland was an accident. The one in the Finals was an accident. It's always a contact injury. And you have to give him credit for always coming back unlike someone like Bynum who doesn't seem to care.

Site Admin
» Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:16 pm
uptempo wrote:

Damian Jones, a second-year player and last year's first round draft pick, is a long, lean, but still very green, center, who also is projected to play power forward.

Jones looked pretty good in the last summer league game with a couple of blocks:

Hopefully Jones or one of our two rookie Ducks can fill some of McGee's roll as a vertical threat.

All Star
» Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:37 pm
JREED wrote:
uptempo wrote:

Jones looked pretty good in the last summer league game with a couple of blocks:

Hopefully Jones or one of our two rookie Ducks can fill some of McGee's roll as a vertical threat.

JR:

Thank you for posting the video highlight...the kid looks promising!

As for Bogut, it was only after Kerr benched him, Bogut, and started Draymond at center (and started Iguodala) was the reason why the Warriors were able to beat the Cavs in the first championship closeout game during this current run. Bogut also showed weak character by not coming back from a rib injury to play in the Clipper series during Mark Jackson's last season. Lastly, a Bogut addition to the roster would actually be a subtraction-distraction.

Site Admin
» Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:27 pm
Stairway, I think you're trying to say that most of Bogut's injuries were fluky (not like backs or knees that could be a problem for life), and they were, but he's just had so many. I was a big Bogut supporter and defended against the criticism of his health using that same logic, but the time has come to accept that, for whatever reason, he is injury prone.

Uptempo, you've been a long-time critic of Bogut, and while I'd argue the reason why he was benched in favor of Green was due to a matchup advantage we had with Draymond over Mozgov, I agree that he doesn't bring anything to this current roster. IMO, Zaza is a better option as a true center, and we need to see what our young bigs can offer.

I think we're good in the frontcourt for now, but one injury could change that.

All Star
» Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 pm
JREED wrote:Stairway, I think you're trying to say that most of Bogut's injuries were fluky (not like backs or knees that could be a problem for life), and they were, but he's just had so many. I was a big Bogut supporter and defended against the criticism of his health using that same logic, but the time has come to accept that, for whatever reason, he is injury prone.

Uptempo, you've been a long-time critic of Bogut, and while I'd argue the reason why he was benched in favor of Green was due to a matchup advantage we had with Draymond over Mozgov, I agree that he doesn't bring anything to this current roster. IMO, Zaza is a better option as a true center, and we need to see what our young bigs can offer.

So having so many fluky injuries makes one injury prone? He has fallen on his shoulder, broken an ankle, and a leg. He also injured his ribcage before the playoffs and during the Finals he landed on JR Smith's foot. So all of these injuries happen to be physical collisions. But unlike Bynum and Oden, Bogut has always been able to come back from the injuries and still look good.

All Star
» Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:22 pm
Stairway Man wrote:
JREED wrote:Stairway, I think you're trying to say that most of Bogut's injuries were fluky (not like backs or knees that could be a problem for life), and they were, but he's just had so many. I was a big Bogut supporter and defended against the criticism of his health using that same logic, but the time has come to accept that, for whatever reason, he is injury prone.

So having so many fluky injuries makes one injury prone? He has fallen on his shoulder, broken an ankle, and a leg. He also injured his ribcage before the playoffs and during the Finals he landed on JR Smith's foot. So all of these injuries happen to be physical collisions. But unlike Bynum and Oden, Bogut has always been able to come back from the injuries and still look good.

I, too, prefer Zaza over Bogut, as I see Zaza, even with his limited offensive scoring abilities and physical awkwardness, as a player, unlike Bogut, who will always provide hustle.

The ribcage injury and not coming back to play in the Clipper series should have been the event which triggered Bogut's release.

Site Admin
» Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 am
The ribcage injury was actually pretty serious, iirc, it close to puncturing his lung. So I don't blame him, or anyone, for putting their health above their career.

Stairway, the problem was that he'd come back and then be injured again within a matter of weeks or months. If we signed him over Zaza, and he goes down with a season ending injury, we're right back to trying to pick up a Varejao of the scrapheap.

Franchise Player
» Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 am
I am down for bringing back Bogut.

I think he is ultimately gonna sign with Utah or San Antonio maybe.

All Star
» Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:14 am
PAWNO wrote:I am down for bringing back Bogut.

I think he is ultimately gonna sign with Utah or San Antonio maybe.

Andrew Bogut on the Warriors is a negative locker-room disruption. The man is unreliable, an offensive liability, unable to defend the pick-and-roll on defense, and can never be relied upon.

The chemistry of this Warrior team is really good. It does not need a free-loading, injury-prone, center who cannot play either pick-and-roll defense nor any offense.

NO TO BOGUT!