Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 pm
Do you want him?

Site Admin
» Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 pm
Stairway Man wrote:Do you want him?

Yes, without question. We're about to lose Ian Clark, and besides McCaw and Livingston (assuming we can resign him), we have no backup guards.

VC isn't anywhere close to the player he was even 5+ years ago, but for the vet minimum and that we'd only need him for 5-8 min a game? It's a no-brainer. He can still drive, shoots the 3 at a respectable %, is a good rebounder, and a serviceable defender.

Not to mention that he'd be finishing his career with the team that drafted him (we'd finally realize our dreams for seeing VC in a Dubs jersey), and everyone wants to see him get a ring.

Site Admin
» Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:58 pm
Also, the title, "Vince Carter wants to join Warriors" is misleading. The question was, "Would you take less money to be part of an organization like the Warriors." It seems obvious that he was responding directly to to possibly of joining the Dubs, but still...

Here's his response:
I’m open for it. I want to win. I want to play. Somewhat what Kevin Durant did, I want to do for my team. I want to go out there and play and provide and show that I can still play this game. It’s a lot going into it. I’m just one to just go to a team and ride the coat tail. You could say how old I am or whatever but I’ve proved I can still play in this league. I don’t want to go sit on the bench

I'll just leave this here...

All Star
» Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:44 pm
Well there has been talk he wants to come. Maybe it's misleading, but the way he talked sounded like he does want to come, he just doesn't want to be upfront about it.

He's the next David West if he comes. Star veteran coming for the minimum!

Hall of Famer
» Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:16 am
Problem with these older players is risk of injury and definite regression. Carter is a veteran and knows how to play but I'd rather a guard that's been around a few years that is happy getting less money but a chance to win.

All Star
» Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:34 pm
I know he didn't say he wants to come, but that is my assumption and interpretation.

Should we make him an offer? I guess, if we don't have anyone else.

Random question. If Kobe wanted to come play for us, would you take him?

Site Admin
» Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:40 am
@Migs - we're just basically looking to fill backup spots with these older guys, and they're cheap. We have to face the fact that we'll only be able to acquire maybe 1 or 2 below-average to average FAs every year. It's all about value - bang for our buck - and these guys are worth more than the vet minimum they'll likely accept to come here and get a ring.

@stairway - yes, I would take Kobe for the vet minimum in a heartbeat, no question. It'll never happen because I'd bet he'd never seriously consider a return, but he showed last year that he's still got some in the tank. I think he'd have a bigger impact than Carter would.

All Star
» Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:21 pm
migya wrote:Problem with these older players is risk of injury and definite regression. Carter is a veteran and knows how to play but I'd rather a guard that's been around a few years that is happy getting less money but a chance to win.

I agree. At this point I would rather have McCaw or someone else on the floor than VC.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:28 am
I also would rather have someone like McCaw getting the minutes a veteran like Carter added to the team would be good value and really good use of money short term.