Is Kevin Durant a better teammate than Lebron James?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:53 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=819JgfV1otE

Just watched an episode on Colin Cowherd. They make a point. Even Colin Cowherd, who is a Diehard Lebron fan, agrees that sometimes it is hard to play with Lebron. But it's not hard to play with KD.

The Warriors have a system. Even Kobe and Jordan played under Phil Jackson's triangle offense. But when you're with Lebron, Lebron is the system. No matter if he has a small amount of help or large amount of help. Lebron becomes the system. That is why his team always struggles with him out. They become so dependent on him. But that is not always a good thing. Now I know it's not all his fault, but doesn't it seem like no matter who his coach is, year after year, when his team fails, the same idea is that he doesn't have enough help? Even when he lost in Miami, he didn't have enough help.

Would Lebron ever be willing to play in a system where he's not as ball dominant? I swear to God, every single time I've ever watched Lebron play, it seems like at some point in every possession he gets to touch the ball. And even though he passes a lot, he's actually somewhat similar to Harden or Westbrook, but much bigger and stronger. He plays a lot of ISO ball. When he was in Miami, him and Wade went ISO a lot and had no go2 moves down the stretch against Dallas. Now in Cleveland, it's always him and Irving going ISO.

So my question is does Lebron want to play in a system or does he just want to be the whole system? It's not that I hate Lebron. But I hate how people don't understand that sometimes his dominance is his weakness. It's hard to build a team like the Warriors if you have one superstar trying to control all the plays, let alone be the coach, and hand pick all the players, and call out the front office.

That's why Curry, Klay, KD, and Green all play well together. It's very possible that if Green developed with Lebron, that he would have never shined the way he has here. Lebron does kind of turn players into system players. He turns bad players or older players into better players. Players like Richard Jefferson or Dellivedova who depend on him. But he never made Bosh better. Took Love a while to adjust as well.

All Star
» Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 pm
I mean let's be honest. Cavs have as much firepower as Warriors but Warriors play better as a team.

Live by the 3, die by the 3. Well with Lebron you live with him and die with him. With his dominance his team cannot reach its full potential.

All Star
» Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:56 pm
I just saw a video explaining that Blatt wanted to play team ball. Lebron wanted to play Iso ball. So that's on him.... He wanted to play like this.

Also, James forced Cavs to sign JR Smith and Tristan Thompson to crazy contracts. That's on him. He also forced a trade between Love and Wiggins. That's on him....

So to me, Lebron would never want to play team ball. I've never seen him play team ball. So he will always be like a Westbrook or Harden, but with a better field goal percentage. Remember, basketball is still a team game. He's 3 for 8 now. Not bad. But that's with luck. He could very easily be 1 for 8 if you really look at all of the series. From a team perspective, playing Lebron ball is not the best way to go. It's easier to build a dynasty with players like Durant, Curry, Klay and Green.

I'm not saying he's not a great athlete or a great individual player. Of course he is. But when it comes to building a real team around him and maximizing other players development, there's a problem. He makes players like Richard Jefferson better and carries them. But there's a ceiling for his teams with the way he plays. His weakness is that he's too ball dominant. Him taking up space and time off the clock is bad for other players around him and their development. Him having the ability to catch and shoot and make it with more confidence and use up less energy would help him and his team immensely. He gets assists, but that limits the assists his other players can get. Lebron has no reason not to be able to post up better and be able to shoot better without using up all his energy from driving to the basket. It would allow more room for growth for his team. Iso ball can only take you so far. I made a bet with my friend when Lebron joined the Heat. I bet that he would win 5 rings. Only won 2.

Great individual player like Harden or Westbrook. But he is NOT more than what he is and it's my opinion and I will continue to stress my opinion even if I'm not right. There's a reason why me and Skip and others seem like we are downplaying Lebron. It's not because we think he's not one of the greatest individual players ever. But the truth is that he does raise some players game around him, but he limits other players and his team. Like I said, he chose to not want to play team ball. He chose his teammates.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:28 am
i think i'd prefer LeBron.

Don't get me wrong. i love Durant and will never complain about having him but in a purely hypothetical scenario can you imagine LeBron playing alongside Curry, Thompson and Green led by Steve Kerr... I think his stats would get a massive bump (and thats saying a lot considering his stat line)

this is purely on talent alone not taking into account chemistry and locker room dynamic which i can't really comment on only seeing what happens on court not off it.

Site Admin
» Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:49 am
I've been saying LeBron = Old school ISO ball, forever. The dude is not a good teammate; he doesn't make the players around him better (actually the opposite) contrary to everyone gushing over his passing ability and BBIQ, and he's a dictator.

He's without question the best individual player in the world, and one of the GoATs, but we live in an era of team basketball ever since the illegal defense rule was dissolved, and his way is no longer the best way. Him being such an amazing player means his team will always be contenders, but teams that buy into unselfish basketball: Dubs, Spurs, 05-06 Pistons, and late 00's Celtics have shown us how the game needs to be played for sustained success.

If LBJ played in Jordan's era, he would probably be the GoAT - nobody could defend him 1-on-1 without a rim protector just standing in the paint.

I'd take KD over LeBron for us, in this era. He fits in, where LBJ would make everyone else fit him.

All Star
» Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:47 am
JREED wrote:I've been saying LeBron = Old school ISO ball, forever. The dude is not a good teammate; he doesn't make the players around him better (actually the opposite) contrary to everyone gushing over his passing ability and BBIQ, and he's a dictator.

He's without question the best individual player in the world, and one of the GoATs, but we live in an era of team basketball ever since the illegal defense rule was dissolved, and his way is no longer the best way. Him being such an amazing player means his team will always be contenders, but teams that buy into unselfish basketball: Dubs, Spurs, 05-06 Pistons, and late 00's Celtics have shown us how the game needs to be played for sustained success.

If LBJ played in Jordan's era, he would probably be the GoAT - nobody could defend him 1-on-1 without a rim protector just standing in the paint.

I'd take KD over LeBron for us, in this era. He fits in, where LBJ would make everyone else fit him.

Well at least you agree with me on something regarding Lebron. You can call him the best individual player in the world, but there's a reason why he never has enough help. To me, it's about being the best team player. That's why I value Duncan's career. He seemed like the better team player than Lebron. I mean we could make a case now for Harden and Westbrook as best individual players in the regular season too, but we know that they cannot win deep into the playoffs. They're not better than Durant or Leonard.

But at least you agree with me that his team style is not the best for team success. People always say that he doesn't have enough help and that his teammates just disappeared or played horrible. But with his ball dominance, it's hard for me to imagine him on a traditional but very good team and his teammates able to maximize their talent. But I do notice players like Jefferson or Dellividova will play better with James because the only shots they CAN make are spot up jump shots. Lebron has always been king and controlled his whole team and organization.

As far as him being the GOAT in the 90's, I don't know about that. You said he's the greatest 1 on 1 player without a rim protector. Well when the Warriors had a rim protector last year in Bogut and he played the first 4 in a half games, Lebron had a lot of trouble going to the rim. Bogut could block James pretty good. In the 90s you had rim protectors like Shaq, David Robinson, Hakeem, Patrick Ewing, Mutumbo.. Lebron is best at getting to the rim but when you have a good rim protector, it takes away his greatest strength.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:46 pm
JREED wrote:I've been saying LeBron = Old school ISO ball, forever. The dude is not a good teammate; he doesn't make the players around him better (actually the opposite) contrary to everyone gushing over his passing ability and BBIQ, and he's a dictator.

I agree for the most part.

Lebron does pass alot and though it isn't real selfless team bball, it does get his teammates involved a fair bit. I think Lebron could score 35pts a game if he took it himself more but not only is that not how he is, it wouldn't work for his team either. Lebron is close to the greatest player ever on skill and dominance but his style is not exactly the best to win championships, especially in this era, as JREED said.

Durant fit in so smoothly on the Warriors this season and not many stars alltime would have. The team got better and some how more unselfish after adding him and that's amazing. Durant is a scorer above all else but he just had his most complete season. He passes well and defends well also and now he really looks like among the top 15 or so players in history, where as the way he played before wasn't quite.