Can we get to 73 again?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:37 am
We are 37 and 6 right now. Our schedule doesn't look super tough in the near future. If we stay healthy, could we win 73 without trying? I think that 70 is fairly reasonable. But 3 of our losses this year were flukes. We should have never lost to Memphis or Houston. And The Lakers one was weird.

Can we go 36 and 3 the rest of the year? That would get us to 73 again. We are one winning streak away from getting to 73 again.

If not, we just need to go 33 and 6 the rest of the year to get to 70 wins.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:45 am
Probably too much. Think the team will win about 65 which still amazing. Think the team this season, or next season if most of the team stays intact, could win more than 33 straight, the long standing winning streak record.

All Star
» Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:32 am
65 wins would mean that we would go 28 and 10 the rest of the way.

Site Admin
» Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:41 pm
Yes, we can, but no, I doubt we will. After the embarrassment of doing it last season then choking away the finals (with some help, but still), how much that took to accomplish, and the fact that we probably won't be pushed like we were by the Spurs last season, I don't think we have much incentive to go for it.

I think 67 is all but a given, and I agree that 70 is reasonable. However, we do have a stretch at the end of the season against some teams that will have more incentive to lose for more lottery balls. So even if we do have the 1 seed locked up and we let up over the last week or more, if the top 4 seeds of the West are set, then we might get there without trying. I still think it's a long shot though.

All Star
» Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:22 pm
JReed, just think if we didn't lose that 24 lead against Memphis and the double ot to Houston. Last year we win those games. If we didn't lose those 2 we'd be talking about getting to 73-74.

All Star
» Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 pm
Wow we lost to Miami. I guess 73 is off the table.

Site Admin
» Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:54 pm
Stairway Man wrote:Wow we lost to Miami. I guess 73 is off the table.

At least a pretty small margin of error ::lol:

We all knew there'd be a few trap games, there always is for every team, every season. The Memphis game was a bit of a trap because we should have won it, but given their success in the past against us, especially late in games, and our stretch of phoning in 4th quarters, I'm hesitant to call it one. The Heat game had all the makings of a trap game though.

It's clear by how Kerr is more focused on lineup combos, experimenting, and resting guys, that his priority is making sure we're in the best shape for the playoffs. He gave the players a say for going for 73 last season, but he won't be this time, and guys have admitted that's not a goal now either.

I still think it's a significant accomplishment, but really only if they win the Finals. As I've said before, if the objective of sports is to compete, then you should also strive to compete with teams of the past, to best not the best any given season, but to be the greatest of all time.

Barring something unthinkable, this team should be better next year. So maybe we'll get another crack at it then.

Starting Lineup
» Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:24 pm
"we just need to go 33-6" that sounds so simple the way you put it lol. I don't think they care this year, all they care about is beating Cleveland. Just get the 1 seed (which is tough with SA being only 5 games back) and just worry about playing good basketball down the stretch.