Does Klay want to be traded?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:50 pm
Why do I keep seeing rumors?

Hall of Famer
» Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:33 pm
At the moment it seems like a distant subject but definitely a likely reality of Klay wanting to go to another team. He has two years left on his contract I think so after this season he should be offered an extension and if he doesn't accept it looking at trading him is the best option. Like Harden a few years ago, Klay must see that he could be a top 10 player and not only get paid like one but also make a place for himself among the alltime greats which is harder to do on a team with two superstars ahead of you.

Role Player
» Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:12 pm
Those rumors were dispelled yesterday, but the rumor pops back up which kind of makes you think that this could be a real story. Maybe Klay just isn't happy suddenly being a 3rd option, especially seeing what Barnes has been doing in Dallas to get propel himself into stardom. And in all honesty, I'd actually being happy if Klay was traded. I like him, but not a huge fan. He's a near one-dimensional player on the offensive side of the ball. He's not going to goto a team that needs an offensive weapon and become a star because he's not a great athlete, ball handler, shot creator, passer or rebounder. He's a good shooter and good defender. He's Kyle Korver with some defense. He's no Harden (offensively).

If there is a premier big man out there that Klay can be traded for, I would do it in a heartbeat. Someone like a Hassan Whiteside.

Hall of Famer
» Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:49 pm
Getting Whiteside actually would be a very good trade as he gives the team a very good big man.

Site Admin
» Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:58 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Those rumors were dispelled yesterday, but the rumor pops back up which kind of makes you think that this could be a real story. Maybe Klay just isn't happy suddenly being a 3rd option, especially seeing what Barnes has been doing in Dallas to get propel himself into stardom. And in all honesty, I'd actually being happy if Klay was traded. I like him, but not a huge fan. He's a near one-dimensional player on the offensive side of the ball. He's not going to goto a team that needs an offensive weapon and become a star because he's not a great athlete, ball handler, shot creator, passer or rebounder. He's a good shooter and good defender. He's Kyle Korver with some defense. He's no Harden (offensively).

If there is a premier big man out there that Klay can be traded for, I would do it in a heartbeat. Someone like a Hassan Whiteside.

Woah, did you just say the only thing separating Klay and Korver is his D? Not like being a premier defender is a little thing, but he's much more than that. He's better at basically ever aspect of the game than Korver has ever been.

He's without question the best 2-way SG in the league, and because of Harden's laughably bad D and the fact that he's a turnover machine, many would argue he's the best SG. Klay gets the tougher defensive assignments while Harden is one of the biggest liabilities in the league. Harden has a much higher usage rate (he's basically a scoring PG or a poorman's Kobe), which explains his more assists, rebounds, and even turnovers (to a degree), but besides those, the only stat that Harden has a significant advantage in is PPG and FTA - which are directly correlated to him being the biggest flopper the NBA has ever seen.

Klay isn't used like Harden from a sheer Xs and Os standpoint either. That's not because a lack of a skillset, rather because it would be redundant with Curry being the best at what he does. However, we know he's capable of it because we've seen him do it - think of how well he's performed when Steph has been out, or this year when his 3-pointer isn't there and he's adjusted to an inside to mid-range game. Opponents' 2nd priority, after doubling and fouling Steph, is running Klay off the perimeter, so he's been taking to the rack and finding his teammates.

I also don't get why HB is used as an example of what Klay could do with his own team; sure his totals are way up, but so are his minutes and usage. After looking at his per 36/100 stats, he's in some areas having a worse season than Klay, and in many he's regressed.

Anyways, Klay could no doubt excel being a no. 1 option. It's not a coincidence there's so many rumors linking him to trades for big names. If the primary objective of today's NBA teams is to spread the floor and defend the perimeter, then why wouldn't the prototypical 3 and D SG be heavily valued?

I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't happy, same with KD, Steph, Dray, Iggy, etc. They should all be unhappy - most of them lost the finals, they all squandered a 3-1 lead, and they aren't playing as well as they should. That doesn't mean they're unhappy with the team, Kerr, their shots, etc. As far as I'm concerned, Green is carrying this roster because he's the only guy to have actually sacrificed shots (Klay is averaging exactly 1 less FGA than last season, which is more than he did as an All-star in 14-15).

I've been saying it all season: the problem isn't with the personnel fit, nor is it a lack of interior D. We need to stop turning the ball over, and play better D on the perimeter as a team. Bogut could erase buckets and was a deterrent that we don't have that anymore, but what we have is capable bigs that can slow drivers down for the league's best help D. Of course we need our smalls to slow them down enough for them to get into position. Cohesive, team, perimeter D is what they need to figure out, and I'm confident they will.