Here's an Idea. Should we play Javale McGee More Minutes?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:28 pm
I was wondering who would be a good center for the Warriors. Who would fit their style. DeAndre Jordan minus the bad free throws would be a good fit for the Warriors, since we don't have Bogut anymore. DeAndre is long and athletic and can run. DeAndre got better over the last few seasons because Doc Rivers had him focus more on doing fewer things like staying in the paint and getting blocks and rebounds.

And it occurred to me that Javale Mcgee is similar to DeAndre Jordan. When we played the Nuggets in the playoffs, Mcgee was a load and gave Bogut a challenge. They were going back and forth against each other. Bogut dunked on Mcgee, but remember it was Mcgee that dunked on Bogut first and that got Bogut fired up.

So I would train Mcgee. Have him be the designated rim protector. He doesn't need to do much of anything else. If he just stays in the paint and uses his length and jumping ability, he can block shots and get rebounds. It would be like having a poorer man's DeAndre Jordan.

We need a rim protector. The Spurs got whatever they wanted against us. Damion Jones can be another good center. He can be a new Festus Ezeli for us. But I think giving Javale Mcgee more minutes cannot be a bad thing. I mean we got him for a reason. We didn't just get him to fill out the roster. He has the tools. Lets put him to use.

All Star
» Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:25 pm
Pachulia isn't exactly cutting it. We are going to need to play McGee more or when is Jones coming back? Our other option is to make a trade. I don't understand why we could not keep Bogut.

Site Admin
» Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:19 am
IIRC, Jones's timetable to return was originally in December, and he's been ramping up his activity with the team in practice since late October, so that's a good sign.

As with Jones, I don't expect for McGee to be a viable contributor anytime soon. If either are to become regular rotation guys, it'll take them some time - at least 2-3 months, and that's dependent on how much garbage time they get. However, Jones was much more than a defensive big in college - he has ball skills and is a great inside scorer (far better than Ezeli ever was), which I believe will afford him more PT early and often.

As far as Zaza goes, I still think he's fine, or at least good enough. He's not Bogut, who could face-up other bigs and drivers and win, or even deter guys from attempting an inside move just with his presence. He requires more weak-side help, which we've seen glimpses of from KD - which isn't something that's ever been in Green or Barnes's toolset because they lack the height to knock the ball away at its peak - and I firmly believe we could have even better interior D with this group given KD's unique size. Hell, Zaza had the only positive +/- on our roster.

Our biggest problem right now isn't our interior D though, it's everything else. We can't ask any center to slow the onslaught that our perimeter D is allowing to get through at times. But games like the one against the Lakers only make our D look bad because our offense is so sloppy at times, when in reality our D was actually pretty good, well, excluding the 2nd quarter. I think we'll get it figured out, as guys need to learn and relearn their responsibilities in a switching D, especially KD and Klay assuming different roles than they're used to.

Looney may be undersized, but he's looking pretty good too. I think we should give him more minutes, especially when we go smaller.

All Star
» Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:22 pm
JReed, Javale Mcgee was awesome tonight. If he could put some games together like this, I don't see where Zaza is stronger. There's no reason Mcgee can't be a weapon. He has elite blocking and dunking. He was DYNAMITE tonight. An animal.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:21 am
If McGee can perform like in that game the team is good at Center. His shotblocking is the most important aspect of his game to the team as that factor is a bit lacking. It'd be nice to see the young guys get a fair amount of minutes in these blowout games.

All Star
» Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:23 am
Oh yea not only was Mcgee Great, but I also forgot we still have Damian Jones. I don't understand why he's still injured.

Site Admin
» Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:52 pm
Stairway Man wrote:Oh yea not only was Mcgee Great, but I also forgot we still have Damian Jones. I don't understand why he's still injured.

How'd you forget? You just mentioned him in an earlier post.

I don't understand how you don't understand how he's still injured...? What do you mean by that? The dude had his pectoral muscle ripped from the bone, and he's well within his timetable, actually he's progressing quicker than predicted. So do you think he should not be injured anymore, despite expert doctors saying he wouldn't be back until December?

Hall of Famer
» Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:00 am
McGee was a solid interior presences on both ends the last game against the Lakers, the first game I got to see on streaming. He seems to replace Ezeli in getting alley oops from Green and he certainly goes after the ball defensively. His role looks well defined and as long as he sticks to the plan, he'll be an asset, possibly a very vital one.

With Varejao doing his bit the team seems solid at Center, as well as versatile, with each of the three Centers being different and having different strengths.

Starting Lineup
» Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:20 pm
I heard somewhere it was basically keep bogut or keep livingston... they chose livingston