Very early legit concerns about this Team

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:14 am
Durant didn't look very good. 2 for 9. Sure it's only one game. But he looked out of sorts. I think that they need to adjust. But still, if this is any indication of what is to come in the season, then there definitely will be some embarrassing growing pains. I'm not sure that Durant is just going to fit in seamlessly the way I've heard some say he should.

The one concern with the Warriors is I'm not sure they have the same balanced team as last year. Sure they have a lot more offensive firepower now with Kevin Durant. But without Bogut, they sure lose some toughness. Bogut and Green made a very physical duo. With Pachulia at center, we just don't have the same toughness in our backcourt. Pachulia is good for hustling, getting loose balls and that kind of thing. But does he have the physicality of Bogut? You have to remember that Bogut and Green were notorious for getting under people's skins.

Going back to Durant, he just doesn't seem comfortable yet. His first shot of the game was a forced fadeaway far away from the hoop. Maybe Durant is used to playing that way with Westbrook. And now that he's on a different team, he just isn't as comfortable and is trying to force himself to fit in.

And then you had Klay who was shooting a ridiculous amount of 3s. He was just launching them. And this is what concerns me. We may not have enough shots to go around. Klay already publicly said that he's not sacrificing. And Durant and Curry need their shots too to get in rhythm. Again, without Bogut we just don't have someone that can really lead an offense down low, set screens, get others in the right position, and you lose a lot of intangibles.

I'm not confident as of today that we can just cruise our way to a Championship. It looks like it's going to be tough. Sure, Klay may be right, we may have games where we score 150, but as soon as a team like San Antonio figures us out, we could be in trouble. I see Durant trying to shoot a lot of 3s and fit in with the Splash Bros. A team like San Antonio can exploit that kind of stuff and make us play in a way where we're not as comfortable. This isn't going to be easy.

Site Admin
» Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:53 pm
Already? This is the most extreme, cliché overreaction and example of pessimism.

First off, preseason. Enough said there.

Second, KD is not, has never been, and never will be immune to bad games - as with every other player in history. Particularly given the amount of scrutiny and magnification of this whole situation. KD said it himself that he was just happy to get with his team, on the court, to focus on basketball, and to put everything behind him. Did you think thay was going to happen in a couple of days?

Third, the only "legit concerns" any of us should have right now is how long they'll take to mesh, and which, if any, of our older players regress due to age.

We all knew there was a decent chance it'd take some time for this collection of talent (likely the greatest the NBA has ever seen) to get acclimated, including you - who was the biggest champion for us acquiring KD, all the way up until we did. So this isn't a surprise, nor is a single exhibition game (not even a week after he put on the jersey) an indicator of how the season will go.

The funny thing is your concern over there not enough ball to go around is probably a direct contradiction of your negative assessment of his performance. I'm not saying it was a good performance (I didn't watch the game), but according to the three articles I read, he looked passive and out of sync. I'd think that's to be expected, especially after hearing stuff like Green telling him in practice how he needs to be more aggressive and take more shots. IMO it's the best of all the potentially bad scenarios.

The theory that there won't be enough ball to go around has pretty much been disproven. There'll be plenty of FGs to go around with HBs 10-15 FG/G, Green being very vocal of his willingness to defer to Curry, Klay, and KD, how they'll be mixed in more with the 2nd unit, and KD being more of an efficient scorer than a volume shooter.

Finally, you got to consider that the Raptors aren't trash. We're talking about a Finals contender, with multiple All-Stars, who've been together for a while. It's not like we were blown out by the 76ers.

It's far too early for anyone to make any earnest claims of there being any "legit concerns."

All Star
» Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:13 am
Well I guess I had expectations too high. I thought the Warriors would blow them out in the first quarter. But when Durant missed shots, it gave me premonition and made me see how the Warriors could lose even with such great talent. I could definitely see us losing to the Spurs on opening day. Because even though they lost Duncan, I think that overall they have it pretty together.

By inserting such a big piece into our line up with KD, it becomes a little challenging to figure out how to play. Sure, KD was passive, but he also forced some shots as if he wasn't sure he'd get any shots. And then Klay was forcing 3s as if he was trying to send a message that he wasn't going to shy away with KD there.

The most talented scoring team added another scoring weapon. But what if that wasn't our problem? What if we really need a quality center? Pachulia is not on the same level as the rest of our starters. I feel that with Bogut's toughness, it allowed Green to become more confident and play bigger.

Site Admin
» Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:34 pm
I had another post i was writing, but after tonight... well, that said it all. The Clips, as will other teams, looked clueless on D. Klay got all he could eat, KD moved the ball much better than HB ever did, Zaza actually looks like a better fit, and altogether we looked like a better team in all areas. Particularly rim protection - having a 7' SF blocking shots on the weak side will do that.

Feeling better?

All Star
» Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:53 am
JREED wrote:I had another post i was writing, but after tonight... well, that said it all. The Clips, as will other teams, looked clueless on D. Klay got all he could eat, KD moved the ball much better than HB ever did, Zaza actually looks like a better fit, and altogether we looked like a better team in all areas. Particularly rim protection - having a 7' SF blocking shots on the weak side will do that.

Feeling better?

Well, we know that it won't be as easy as they made it seem last night. But I think that we got a glimpse of what the Warriors can do. The first game showed us an example how there could be some growing pains and adjustments in certain situations but last night was the ultimate massacre. The Warriors showed that at their best there really isn't a team that can mess with us.

Starting Lineup
» Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:01 pm
how do you go from one extreme to the next so quickly? First were and embarrassment because of one preseason loss, and now were great again because of one preseason blowout? lol You gotta relax and learn to just be entertained. We are clearly in the golden era of warrior basketball. Coming from the Cohen reign and being league bottom dwellers to going to 2 finals back to back (obviously we lost one) and now having 3 of the best shooters in all of basketball just sit back and enjoy. Don't think of all the what ifs, yes we don't have a great big man but a lot of teams are lacking in that area, every team in history has had its flaws. I will take our big 3 over any big man in the league right now.

Site Admin
» Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:11 pm
Yeah, the main arguments "against" us are all painfully overstated and shortsighted...

We have no rim protection! Well, we do, and while we cant replace Bogut, we are definitely capable of playing far better D as we've seen thus far. I'll make a sig bet that be average more blocked shots as a result of things like KD's amazing ability to sniff out the weak side block.

We won't be as deep! Wrong. I've already explained that by adding another top tier player, we've only increased our first team depth (we're no longer screwed if Curry gets hurt). We've also added another superstar that will rotate in with the 2nd unit to make it a much better lineup. Besides, bemch player normally aren't very good players, hence why they're on the bench.

Also, it's already been said that McCaw is the revaluation of the off season, Looney looks like a beast, Clark has been praised and looks ready to be a regular rotation guy, West is better than Speights, Jones should be a nice add at some point, and Javale looks like he can even be a nice add. Let's also not forget that we managed to keep Iggy. Bottom line is that our bench is probably even better than before.

Our passing has been unreal, and all we need to do is get the TOs to a more manageable level. Plus dat D!

KD brings one thing to this team that we've been missing - something I hoped HB could develop - a machine-like ability to parade to the line. Without guys missing FTs like Bogut, Ezeli, and Dray (by way of less shooting foul situations), we just added ANOTHER >90% FTer.

There are so few areas, if any, anyone could claim we'll be worse in. Regardless if there were, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

All Star
» Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:08 pm
In a couple of games, the Warriors looked real unbeatable. The 3rd unit isn't very strong though because the Lakers almost came back from being down 35 points.

But the Warriors are showing that they can be the most scary team ever. Kerr is going to do a lot of experimenting early on though. He said that he's not going to try to win 74 games, although I do wonder how many they could win if they tried.

Rookie
» Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:31 am
Don't put any stock in what happens in the preseason. It means nothing.

As for Klay and others having to take less shots, I think they probably will have less shots per game. Not only because Durant will shoot a lot, but also because Curry and Klay will be playing less minutes. You are replacing Barnes with Durant, who typically plays 6 or 7 more minutes per game than Barnes did. He will probably play a little less than he usually does now, but so will the others. I see all three of the main options, Curry, Durant, and Thompson, averaging a few less minutes, and 2 or 3 less attempts per game. It will balance itself out. They don't have to all three play at the same time all the time anyway. Sometimes it will be just one or two of them out there, or they could all sit at the same time....

Well, we'll have to see if the bench is deep enough for that, but you get the idea. The nice thing about them all playing less minutes is that they won't be worn out when the playoffs start, they'll have plenty of energy (and less injuries) for the second season.

Role Player
» Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:18 am
Had a nightmare it was the start of the 2004 season and mike dunleavy was still a warrior noooooooo

All Star
» Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:02 pm
What did I say about San Antonio...

All Star
» Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:02 pm
We need to face the truth. Yes we have talent, but without any sort of size or rim protection, we are screwed against teams like the Spurs and Cavaliers. It's a simple truth. Cannot underestimate the presence of Bogut.

Site Admin
» Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:07 am
Stairway Man wrote:We need to face the truth. Yes we have talent, but without any sort of size or rim protection, we are screwed against teams like the Spurs and Cavaliers. It's a simple truth. Cannot underestimate the presence of Bogut.

Cue up the typical stairway knee jerk reaction. We all saw this post coming in the 2nd-3rd quarter.

Let's completely forget that their D looked totally lost in the 1st and we just missed shots while they made everything. Oh yeah, I forgot who I was replying to, of course you'll not consider that. Iggy with 5 TOs? Klay missing 7 or so open looks? Ian Clark may actually be a problem, but time will tell and we always have Livingston to fall back on.

It's one game, and show me where anyone guaranteed we'd win tonight.... I knew it'd be tough. We're obviously still experimenting with line ups, and the front line D hurt us way more that rim protection ever did.

The no. 1 thing we need to fix is not letting our offensive play hurt our effort on the other end.

We're far from screwed, but that's all the time I'm going to wast typing out a reply that you won't even try to consider.

Congratulations stairway,the Warriors lost. That's what you wanted after all, wasn't it?

All Star
» Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:38 pm
JReed, Just admit that Bogut's presence cannot be underestimated. Big mistake to trade him. And all the other fans know it. Come on if we still had Bogut, you would be saying you don't want to get rid of him. Very underestimated team player.

Site Admin
» Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:08 pm
Stairway Man wrote:JReed, Just admit that Bogut's presence cannot be underestimated.

I believe you meant to say that, "his presence cannot be understated" or "overestimated?" What you actually said was presence was so bad that it's not possible to underestimate it.

Stairway Man wrote:Big mistake to trade him. And all the other fans know it. Come on if we still had Bogut, you would be saying you don't want to get rid of him.

First off, neither you, I, nor anyone else knows any of what you just said. You may believe it, but we won't know for a while, or maybe even ever. But we've had similar conversations in the past, ending with you claiming to know the future - if you cry the sky is falling all the time and constantly make outlandish, knee jerk, claims, eventually one will stick, and when it does you waste no time in saying, "I told you so" and demanding that others acknowledge you were right, but rarely do you admit when you're wrong. So I'm not playing this game anymore.

Look, I was a huge Bogut fan and one of his biggest supporters/apologists, but we all knew that someone getting paid had to go to get Kevin Durant (who you have said "we need"). If the expense of getting KD was losing the often injured (when you need him the most), and overpaid, Bogut, then that's a move that 99.9% of fans, experts, coaches, GMs, and everyone else makes.
Stairway Man wrote:Very underestimated team player.
I agree with him being underestimated nationally - not necessarily as a "team" player, but he did his job most of the time - nobody is arguing that (well, maybe uptempo would, lol).

You've once again completely disregarded my post and failed to directly address a single thing I said, or even answer direct questions (seriously, do you even read what others write?). So if there's one thing you reply to, make it this:

You constantly reference Warriors haters' quotes when they say something negative about them (no matter how many times people tell you to bot take them seriously), even when they're in a microscopic minority, but what about everyone else?

Do you even acknowledge that the vast majority of unbiased, or at least less so, pundits still believe the the Warriors are massive favorites to win it all? Or are you and Charles Barkley right and everyone else is wrong?