Warriors sign Javale Mcgee to Training Camp!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:28 pm
Woo hoo!!! He's exactly the center we need! We needed an athletic center with great length! Fits Durant perfectly! 2 long arm guys that can run the floor!

» Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:08 pm
yea, its a minimal risk signing... meaning if he doesnt pan out, they can release him and not pay him. If he shows promise, we have him for the minimum. Win-Win for us.

All Star
» Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:02 pm
They better sign Mcgee. Better not let him get away. They NEED size. At this point anybody with the length is very serviceable on this squad.

Site Admin
» Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:03 pm
Again, stairway, we don't "need' anyone, at least anyone not already on the roster. McGer doesn't have the upsude he did a few years ago, and even then his theoretical ceiling was much, much higher than the practical ceiling.

Fans hyped him up so much because of his measurables, but everyone in the league tempered expectations, knowing he'd probably never develop the skills he needs to be even an effective backup at the 5, let alone his awful D.

If you think we've found that shot-blocker/rim-protector, that you've been ranting about us not having, it's certainly not McGee. There's a reason (if not several) that Javale doesn't have a job and why far lesser teams have passed on him.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pickup, because he does have upside, Ron Adams has proven over and over that he can teach old dogs new defense, and he could be serviceable as a 2nd unit alternate. We could also bring him back cheap next season, especially if it takes him a season to ride the bench and relearn the ropes, and unlearn the horrible habits he's gotten away with because George Karl is from same school of rookie-hating, incapable of developing players, "you either got it or you don't," and IDGAF, that Nellie was.

All Star
» Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:32 pm
Well the thing is JReed, I just felt we needed a center. I felt at this point all we needed was a guy to throw out there just to give us some height. We already have the other aspects of the game. We just needed a guy that can fill out the roster and give us the additional height. I think by just having him out there, filling in minutes, it will at least make us look more formidable.