Zaza Pachulia

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1290
» Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:18 am
We all know that Pachulia is not better than Bogut. I don't care what stat is thrown at me. How many games has Pachulia started in his life? He's not even better than Enes Kanter. I don't understand why people think that Pachulia or Jones will be enough to cover our bases. What you have to realize is that not only does this affect us down low but it makes things harder on Green. And when you make things harder on Green, he can't make it easier on others. So yes we will have all the problems we had before with size except it will be a much bigger problem now.

Oh trust me on this one. I'm not going to be someone who just looks at a team on paper and automatically thinks the team is better. You play the games to find out. You don't get better just being better on paper. The chemistry will be completely different next year. When Durant tries to take over this team, be-LIEVE me that their will be chemistry problems. BELIEVE it.

One thing I will tell you. Cavs did want it more than the 73 win Warriors or at least it looked that way. Warriors didn't lose cuz they didn't have Durant. If they struggle and don't win next year, you will see that talent was not the issue.

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:48 pm
He is a servicable center. He might not be as good as bogut, but is probably more reliable (bogut was often hurt). Additionally, we are talking about the 7th most important member on this team (meaning that he will be playing quality role minutes, but he is just that: a role play). Sure, he starts for the warriors, but in close games, he wont be ending them.

And at 2.9 million in this market, a great deal.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4040
» Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:14 pm
I'm changing this topic title to "Zaza Pachulia" because the OP isn't really worthy of a topic in itself, and stairway, because a single game has yet to be played, you have no idea if "Zaza Pachulia will not be enough at Center."
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1290
» Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:27 pm
I still don't understand why we had to trade Bogut. Why couldn't they just keep him and pay him for a couple years? They are billionaires.

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:17 am
In a perfect world, we would have bogut and durant. But it was impossible to sign Durant without having to trade Bogut, based on the rules of the NBA salary cap. Because the warriors needed to clear space to sign Durant, Bogut was traded to Dallas.

Once Durant was signed, Warriors were over the cap. Because we were over, they qualified for mini mid-level exemption (a $2.9 million contract that they can give to any player). So, they decided to spend that on Zaza. Because they have used the exemption and are over the cap, any additional player that was signed, was signed for the minimum (which is allowed for any team if they are over the cap).

Stairway Man wrote:I still don't understand why we had to trade Bogut. Why couldn't they just keep him and pay him for a couple years? They are billionaires.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4040
» Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:12 pm
Well put Crackers. I'd also add to stairway's "a couple years," that even if it was possible to sign KD and keep Bogut, we'd be dangerously close to the tax level, and if we went over before resigning Curry, the yax penalties would crush us for years. That brings us to, "They are billionaires," which isn't true. They might be collectively, but AFAIK, not a single member of our ownership group is a billionaire.

Furthermore, rich people don't get, and stay, rich by frivolously spending money. They aren't in this for fun or charity; it's a business.

Stairway, you're really nitpicking here. You'll see that our current group of bigs, coupled with possibly the greatest starting 4 and 6th man of all time, will be at the very least good enough - which your OP states it won't be.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1290
» Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:48 pm
You're saying Joe Lacob is not a multi billionaire?
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1290
» Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:26 pm
So Jreed. Guess who the Spurs just signed?

David Lee.

That makes it now even much more important for the Warriors to get bigger. The Spurs have 3 quality bigs that can really score down low against us. Aldridge, Gasol, and Lee. And they all are very capable of making the jump shots as well.

We only have Pachulia and West. I'd say the Spurs have the edge in bigs. If Leonard has an MVP season and Parker scores a little more, they aren't going to be a pushover. I mean Aldridge is an All Star. And even though Gasol and Lee are older now, we know that they can still bring it. Lee did really good against us, he just wasn't getting a lot of playing time. But in limited minutes, he still looks very capable and skillful. Might even be better in Pop's system.

Gasol, Aldridge, and Lee all have been arguably the best all around power forward at one point in all of their careers. I mean when those 3 guys are at their best, that is a hell of a front court, accompanied by Kawhi Leonard.

Those 3 guys can all score around the basket. Aldridge might not be the best at posting up, but he still uses his height to his advantage.

We don't really have anyone that can score like them around the basket. David West is our best bet. We need more if we are to compete with the Spurs. I think we think that just cuz we have star power, it means we can out talent every team. Might not be as easy as it seems.

All Star
Posts: 2885
» Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:34 pm
Stairway Man wrote:So Jreed. Guess who the Spurs just signed?

David Lee.

That makes it now even much more important for the Warriors to get bigger. The Spurs have 3 quality bigs that can really score down low against us. Aldridge, Gasol, and Lee. And they all are very capable of making the jump shots as well.

We only have Pachulia and West. I'd say the Spurs have the edge in bigs. If Leonard has an MVP season and Parker scores a little more, they aren't going to be a pushover. I mean Aldridge is an All Star. And even though Gasol and Lee are older now, we know that they can still bring it. Lee did really good against us, he just wasn't getting a lot of playing time. But in limited minutes, he still looks very capable and skillful. Might even be better in Pop's system.

Gasol, Aldridge, and Lee all have been arguably the best all around power forward at one point in all of their careers. I mean when those 3 guys are at their best, that is a hell of a front court, accompanied by Kawhi Leonard.

Those 3 guys can all score around the basket. Aldridge might not be the best at posting up, but he still uses his height to his advantage.

We don't really have anyone that can score like them around the basket. David West is our best bet. We need more if we are to compete with the Spurs. I think we think that just cuz we have star power, it means we can out talent every team. Might not be as easy as it seems.


David Lee cannot defend the pick and roll, and the Warriors will destroy him whenever he has to defend his man on the perimeter.

David Lee does not hustle on transition defense. D.Green will beat David Lee down the floor for easy fast break baskets.

Gasol cannot defend the pick and roll.

Aldridge, a good player, has no mid-range game.

Compete with the Spurs? In a seven-game series vs the Warriors, the Spurs would be lucky to win one game.

David West is a nice addition to the roster.

Moderator
Posts: 5370
» Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:52 am
uptempo wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:So Jreed. Guess who the Spurs just signed?

David Lee.

That makes it now even much more important for the Warriors to get bigger. The Spurs have 3 quality bigs that can really score down low against us. Aldridge, Gasol, and Lee. And they all are very capable of making the jump shots as well.

We only have Pachulia and West. I'd say the Spurs have the edge in bigs. If Leonard has an MVP season and Parker scores a little more, they aren't going to be a pushover. I mean Aldridge is an All Star. And even though Gasol and Lee are older now, we know that they can still bring it. Lee did really good against us, he just wasn't getting a lot of playing time. But in limited minutes, he still looks very capable and skillful. Might even be better in Pop's system.

Gasol, Aldridge, and Lee all have been arguably the best all around power forward at one point in all of their careers. I mean when those 3 guys are at their best, that is a hell of a front court, accompanied by Kawhi Leonard.

Those 3 guys can all score around the basket. Aldridge might not be the best at posting up, but he still uses his height to his advantage.

We don't really have anyone that can score like them around the basket. David West is our best bet. We need more if we are to compete with the Spurs. I think we think that just cuz we have star power, it means we can out talent every team. Might not be as easy as it seems.


David Lee cannot defend the pick and roll, and the Warriors will destroy him whenever he has to defend his man on the perimeter.

David Lee does not hustle on transition defense. D.Green will beat David Lee down the floor for easy fast break baskets.

Gasol cannot defend the pick and roll.

Aldridge, a good player, has no mid-range game.

Compete with the Spurs? In a seven-game series vs the Warriors, the Spurs would be lucky to win one game.

David West is a nice addition to the roster.



I agree with your assessments on Lee. Gasol might be a mismatch for warriors when he is on offense as he is tall and can use both hands brilliantly. He is getting older so he can probably be exploited defense.

I disagree with you on Aldridge. He has a solid midrange game. He shoots about 43% from midrange (which is above average for a pf). Draymond, as comparison, shoots 33%. Now, Lamarcus does not shoot 3's whatsoever, so there is that.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests