Do you fear That Durant's Ego will Affect the Team?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1292
» Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:48 pm
Now I'm not trying to make assumptions. It's just that him coming here still hasn't quite hit me yet. It still feels like it's not real. I always thought he'd fit in here, but to actually realize that this has become a reality is something else.

But I was thinking about some of the things he said. I don't want to look too far into it, because anything someone says can be taken a million different ways. But he said that he wanted to be the guy to take this team over the top. And I assume that at the meeting, Lacob, Kerr, and Myers (even the players) convinced KD that he could be the difference maker here. He could be the missing piece.

I was watching some KD interviews from just a couple years ago. KD said he hates to be 2nd best. He said he hated being 2nd in the draft. He's all about being number one. And when Curry texted KD and told him he doesn't care about who gets the spotlight, do you think KD thought to himself that he could be the best player on the Warriors and get most of the credit for our rings?

What do you think? Is KD truly a team player? Or is he just here to become The Top Guy. I wish that 32 was still here. Where did he go? I remember 32 saying that KD was overrated and all he could do was just score. I wonder if he still thinks that. Because right now we have Durant and I'm really wondering what Durant's intentions truly are. Does he want to fit in with our system or does he want to be the top guy with the most touches? Does he want to take this team away from Curry to an extent?

Do you think there's a chance KD got jealous of Curry? Or got jealous of the attention Curry got? Let's be very clear here. Durant was the reason why the players got to vote for their own MVP last season. Remember that? Durant was the one that seemed to not want Curry to be MVP. Do you think deep down inside Durant wants to come here and steal the spotlight while our other stars play 2nd fiddle to him?

I'm not saying that's what he wants. But we have to watch out. There is a chance though that maybe he has changed as a person and does care more about his personal growth. But not too long ago, Durant seemed to want to be The Number One player in the League. And that type of mentality can cause problems. I remember 32 saying that Durant was nothing more than a glorified Carmelo Anthony. And we all know that it would not be good to have a Melo type player on the Warriors.

All Star
Posts: 1210
» Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:20 am
Durant has played almost his whole career with THE biggest ball hog in the league. His ego knows how to take a back seat. I think at this point his priority is rings.

All Star
Posts: 2885
» Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:05 pm
mullin17 wrote:Durant has played almost his whole career with THE biggest ball hog in the league. His ego knows how to take a back seat. I think at this point his priority is rings.


Ball hog?

KD always deferred his interests for the good of the team. If anything, KD has been too team oriented (if there is such a thing) and played on a team where his guards dribbled on the perimeter until the shot clock had wound down and then got KD the ball.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1292
» Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:15 am
uptempo wrote:
mullin17 wrote:Durant has played almost his whole career with THE biggest ball hog in the league. His ego knows how to take a back seat. I think at this point his priority is rings.


Ball hog?

KD always deferred his interests for the good of the team. If anything, KD has been too team oriented (if there is such a thing) and played on a team where his guards dribbled on the perimeter until the shot clock had wound down and then got KD the ball.



Hope you're right. On the Spurs forum they say that the Warriors Ego WILL collide and that somebody is not going to like being the Kevin Love of the Warriors.

The one thing that slightly concerns me is when Durant said, ''I want to be the guy that takes them over the top.''

And when you look back at his older videos, he said that he is tired of being 2nd. And he was mostly referring to individual achievements. So I'm a little bit skeptical. Part of you doesn't think that Durant doesn't want to be the leader of this team, the alpha male, and that's not why he joined?

You don't think a part of him wants to be the guy that gets the most credit for this team? Would he really mind being the 2nd option if that were the case? Would he be okay with some nights Klay scoring 35 points while he only scores 15? Would he really be okay with that? Remember, we're talking about the 3 or 4 time Scoring Champion.

All Star
Posts: 2885
» Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:09 am
Stairway Man wrote:
uptempo wrote:
mullin17 wrote:Durant has played almost his whole career with THE biggest ball hog in the league. His ego knows how to take a back seat. I think at this point his priority is rings.


Ball hog?

KD always deferred his interests for the good of the team. If anything, KD has been too team oriented (if there is such a thing) and played on a team where his guards dribbled on the perimeter until the shot clock had wound down and then got KD the ball.



Hope you're right. On the Spurs forum they say that the Warriors Ego WILL collide and that somebody is not going to like being the Kevin Love of the Warriors.

The one thing that slightly concerns me is when Durant said, ''I want to be the guy that takes them over the top.''

And when you look back at his older videos, he said that he is tired of being 2nd. And he was mostly referring to individual achievements. So I'm a little bit skeptical. Part of you doesn't think that Durant doesn't want to be the leader of this team, the alpha male, and that's not why he joined?

You don't think a part of him wants to be the guy that gets the most credit for this team? Would he really mind being the 2nd option if that were the case? Would he be okay with some nights Klay scoring 35 points while he only scores 15? Would he really be okay with that? Remember, we're talking about the 3 or 4 time Scoring Champion.



KD should be the first option on offense for this Warrior team; he is the best player on this team and the team will fall in line appropriately.

Curry can, hopefully, become a "true point guard" and look to distribute the ball, and with Klay, Green, KD and Iguodala, Curry's assist numbers should go up. Also, when the Warriors do go to their death lineup, KD will punish opposing centers and power forwards.

Lastly, this Warrior team now has a player who can create his own shot after breaking down his defender off of the dribble, and this Warrior team needs this, especially to close out a game.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1292
» Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:44 pm
I'm very nervous about what you're saying. You're pretty much agreeing with Durant's need to dominate. And when you said Durant is the best player, you're saying that the Person who was a unanimous MVP, broke the 3 point record numerous times, is a 2 time MVP and won 73 games is not our best player.

Curry will not be a true point guard because that is not his game. Curry thinks he is the best player. And if you think Durant thinks he's just going to be a point guard and stop dominating, then I see a lot of trouble with this chemistry. Very nervous about the chemistry. The players can say whatever they want. Curry does want to be the nuclear option regardless of what he says. Curry will never be a True Point Guard like John Stockton. It will always be his team in his mind.

Plus we have no centers.
User avatar

Starting Lineup
Posts: 708
» Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:34 pm
They'll be fine and amazing to watch. That's why he chose the Dubs -- 'cause they aren't the hero-ball Westbrook Thunder. We've got too many vets and too many unselfish guys, it'll even things out. Zaza says hi lol.
One thing I hope is that Durant slashes to the rim a lot, posts up, etc. This will give us more versatility over just having 3 lethal outside shooters. Need to pick up a rim protector as well, even if it's D-league.

All Star
Posts: 2885
» Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:13 am
Stairway Man wrote:I'm very nervous about what you're saying. You're pretty much agreeing with Durant's need to dominate. And when you said Durant is the best player, you're saying that the Person who was a unanimous MVP, broke the 3 point record numerous times, is a 2 time MVP and won 73 games is not our best player.


Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Curry is a great, but frail, player who needs KD, and the skills that KD brings to this team, in order to win more championships. No need to be nervous.

The Warriors were exposed by both the Thunder and the Cavs as being a flawed team, especially when Curry is double-teamed on the perimeter. He does not split two defenders as well as a Damian Lillard nor even a R. Westbrook or a CP3, and he turns the ball over too much. Yes, he was the unanimous MVP, is my favorite NBA player, and can get his outside shot off with little-or-no space between him and his defender. The Warriors need KD in order to win more championships. He, KD, will be the man when it is crunch time and the team needs to score at the end of a game. Also, he, KD, showcased to the NBA his defensive skills during both the playoff series vs the Warriors as well as during the regular season, too.


Stairway Man wrote: Curry will not be a true point guard because that is not his game. Curry thinks he is the best player. And if you think Durant thinks he's just going to be a point guard and stop dominating, then I see a lot of trouble with this chemistry. Very nervous about the chemistry. The players can say whatever they want. Curry does want to be the nuclear option regardless of what he says. Curry will never be a True Point Guard like John Stockton. It will always be his team in his mind.


He needs to "learn" how to become a true point guard, improve his assist numbers, and decrease his turnover numbers. Having KD to pass the ball to should only help Curry's point guard game.

Stairway Man wrote: Curry does want to be the nuclear option regardless of what he says. Curry will never be a True Point Guard like John Stockton. It will always be his team in his mind.


We Warrior fans should hope that Curry can evolve his thinking, if what you have posted is, indeed, how Curry's mindset truly is. The team does not need selfish point guard play.

Stairway Man wrote: Plus we have no centers.


The team will improve just by getting rid of Bogut, a guy who never showed up for big games and had to be sit down in game 7 in order for the team to win its championship two seasons ago.

Ezeli, while potentially can become serviceable, was a turnover and foul machine. No big loss with him leaving.

Zaza Pachulia will give the Warriors more minutes, better statistics, and more hustle than Bogut ever did.

Damian Jones will be a better player than Ezeli.

James Michael McAdoo will run the floor much better than Speights and will give the team another athletic big man who can play both power forward as well as center.

All Star
Posts: 2885
» Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:31 am
rockyBeli wrote:They'll be fine and amazing to watch. That's why he chose the Dubs -- 'cause they aren't the hero-ball Westbrook Thunder. We've got too many vets and too many unselfish guys, it'll even things out. Zaza says hi lol.
One thing I hope is that Durant slashes to the rim a lot, posts up, etc. This will give us more versatility over just having 3 lethal outside shooters. Need to pick up a rim protector as well, even if it's D-league.


Amen, brother! Your analysis is spot on.

I like the big men that are on the team now; they should be an improvement over Bogut ("Mr. MIA 'Andrew'") and Ezeli.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1292
» Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:15 pm
Uptempo are you telling me that The team that won 73 games is not good enough to win Championships? Has there ever been a team that dominating that wasn't good enough?

JReed, please chime in here. This is very difficult to accept if true.

Uptempo. We lost by 4 points in the last game. With everything going against us. Do you know how close we were?

All Star
Posts: 2885
» Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:50 pm
Stairway Man wrote:Uptempo are you telling me that The team that won 73 games is not good enough to win Championships? Has there ever been a team that dominating that wasn't good enough?

JReed, please chime in here. This is very difficult to accept if true.

Uptempo. We lost by 4 points in the last game. With everything going against us. Do you know how close we were?


Close, yes; but not good enough to win.

The 2007 New England Patriots went undefeated and then lost to the New York Giants.

This Warrior team was exposed, was not good enough, and was re-tooled by this ownership group and front office to improve-and-win-championships.

This Warrior franchise does not tolerate nor accept not competing for and winning championships.

The KD will only help this team win multiple championships, and hopefully help Curry become a better point guard!
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1292
» Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:22 pm
uptempo wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:Uptempo are you telling me that The team that won 73 games is not good enough to win Championships? Has there ever been a team that dominating that wasn't good enough?

JReed, please chime in here. This is very difficult to accept if true.

Uptempo. We lost by 4 points in the last game. With everything going against us. Do you know how close we were?


Close, yes; but not good enough to win.

The 2007 New England Patriots went undefeated and then lost to the New York Giants.

This Warrior team was exposed, was not good enough, and was re-tooled by this ownership group and front office to improve-and-win-championships.

This Warrior franchise does not tolerate nor accept not competing for and winning championships.

The KD will only help this team win multiple championships, and hopefully help Curry become a better point guard!




So you are conceding Cleveland is better than the Warriors? I don't believe you. You are looking only at the results and not the circumstances that weren't in their control. You cannot tell me that if a few things were different such as injuries and better officiating that the Warriors couldn't have won. You know you are lying if you think they couldn't have won. Even with the circumstances, they were only 4 points away. Curry was capable of making that last shot. If Irving missed that last shot, we win. You're telling me that Curry's hurt ACL, Iggy's hurt back, and Green being suspended had nothing to do with the loss? And the Rigging?

And the Patriots still won many times even though they lost the Superbowl. The Patriots could have won that Superbowl. Superbowls are also kind of a crap shoot.

All Star
Posts: 2885
» Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:56 pm
Stairway Man wrote:
uptempo wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:Uptempo are you telling me that The team that won 73 games is not good enough to win Championships? Has there ever been a team that dominating that wasn't good enough?

JReed, please chime in here. This is very difficult to accept if true.

Uptempo. We lost by 4 points in the last game. With everything going against us. Do you know how close we were?


Close, yes; but not good enough to win.

The 2007 New England Patriots went undefeated and then lost to the New York Giants.

This Warrior team was exposed, was not good enough, and was re-tooled by this ownership group and front office to improve-and-win-championships.

This Warrior franchise does not tolerate nor accept not competing for and winning championships.

The KD will only help this team win multiple championships, and hopefully help Curry become a better point guard!




So you are conceding Cleveland is better than the Warriors? I don't believe you. You are looking only at the results and not the circumstances that weren't in their control. You cannot tell me that if a few things were different such as injuries and better officiating that the Warriors couldn't have won. You know you are lying if you think they couldn't have won. Even with the circumstances, they were only 4 points away. Curry was capable of making that last shot. If Irving missed that last shot, we win. You're telling me that Curry's hurt ACL, Iggy's hurt back, and Green being suspended had nothing to do with the loss? And the Rigging?

And the Patriots still won many times even though they lost the Superbowl. The Patriots could have won that Superbowl. Superbowls are also kind of a crap shoot.


Two seasons ago, the Warriors beat an injury-riddled Cavs team which had lost both Irving and Love.

Are you saying that the Warriors two seasons ago were better than the Cavs?

Rigging? Green could/should have been suspended vs the Thunder for the multiple groin kicks. Do the Warriors win that series if Green was suspended for 1-2 games? Even Iguodala said that the Thunder were the best team last season (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17078 ... nba-title; http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/14/andre- ... s-warriors).

Take off the rose colored glasses and start looking at the Warriors objectively. The team was exciting, won lots of regular season games, but had deficiencies on both the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. KD, perhaps second to only LeBron in skills and value, will improve the team on both ends of the floor. KD, barring injury, should be able to lead this Warrior team to multiple championships, too.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1292
» Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:00 am
uptempo wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:
uptempo wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:Uptempo are you telling me that The team that won 73 games is not good enough to win Championships? Has there ever been a team that dominating that wasn't good enough?

JReed, please chime in here. This is very difficult to accept if true.

Uptempo. We lost by 4 points in the last game. With everything going against us. Do you know how close we were?


Close, yes; but not good enough to win.

The 2007 New England Patriots went undefeated and then lost to the New York Giants.

This Warrior team was exposed, was not good enough, and was re-tooled by this ownership group and front office to improve-and-win-championships.

This Warrior franchise does not tolerate nor accept not competing for and winning championships.

The KD will only help this team win multiple championships, and hopefully help Curry become a better point guard!




So you are conceding Cleveland is better than the Warriors? I don't believe you. You are looking only at the results and not the circumstances that weren't in their control. You cannot tell me that if a few things were different such as injuries and better officiating that the Warriors couldn't have won. You know you are lying if you think they couldn't have won. Even with the circumstances, they were only 4 points away. Curry was capable of making that last shot. If Irving missed that last shot, we win. You're telling me that Curry's hurt ACL, Iggy's hurt back, and Green being suspended had nothing to do with the loss? And the Rigging?

And the Patriots still won many times even though they lost the Superbowl. The Patriots could have won that Superbowl. Superbowls are also kind of a crap shoot.


Two seasons ago, the Warriors beat an injury-riddled Cavs team which had lost both Irving and Love.

Are you saying that the Warriors two seasons ago were better than the Cavs?

Rigging? Green could/should have been suspended vs the Thunder for the multiple groin kicks. Do the Warriors win that series if Green was suspended for 1-2 games? Even Iguodala said that the Thunder were the best team last season (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17078 ... nba-title; http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/14/andre- ... s-warriors).

Take off the rose colored glasses and start looking at the Warriors objectively. The team was exciting, won lots of regular season games, but had deficiencies on both the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. KD, perhaps second to only LeBron in skills and value, will improve the team on both ends of the floor. KD, barring injury, should be able to lead this Warrior team to multiple championships, too.



You're changing the topic though. I didn't say 2 seasons ago. And you're bringing up OKC when I'm talking about Cleveland. Come on we all know Iguodala was only saying the Thunder were the best just to make KD feel good and to throw some salt at Lebron. And if you are saying Cleveland is better than us, then how could you say that OKC is better than us if they lost to us? If that is the case why did Durant not stay there?

If we don't win 73 games next year or the Championship, you're going to see that KD doesn't help us like you would think. We still don't know. I'm not convinced yet that we got better. And if Curry becomes more of a true point guard, I really think we're in for a rude awakening. It's going to be tough. I'm not naive enough to think that we're guaranteed to be better.

Yes, the NBA is rigged objectively. I didn't just watch this blindly. The NBA is rigged factually. It's Entertainment, not competition.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4043
» Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:14 am
I agree with what the others are saying; KD is talkin about being the best on a team/winning level, and at probably the best player he can be. I doubt he really cares about being no. 1 on an individual level, nor does he think he is or can be - he'll never be better than Lebron - KD is obviously an intelligent person, and he sounds pretty self-aware. I think it's safe to assume he knows there's only one way he'll be considered the best, and that's by being apart of the best NBA team of all-time.

Curry last season came the closest we'll probably ever see any player come to challenging Lebron for the throne (during his prime).

KD is not LBJ, and he won't come in here trying to take over. He couldn't if he tried. There's a good reason why Dray, Klay, Iggy, Bogut, Barnes, etc. all refered to Steph as "our leader," - because he is. Hell, Iggy and KD have both said the dude basically was the architect of all of this. Furthermore, there's good reason why the Logo says this is the best organization he's been apart of.

While I don't believe this team truly "needed" anything more than what they had. We were good enough to be a dynasty. However, if we did need, or were missing, something, then KD is exactly that. Let's face facts here: something was wrong with Curry - all the writers, fans, and experts agree - but it's not an excuse, not for a 73-win team. Outside the Xs and Os, KD gives us more star-power, so we can endure an injury to one of our top 4 players and still win it all.

Considering the Xs and Os, as uptempo and Rocky have pointed out, his ability to drive and create inside makes us unstoppable. We all know this is true, including haters that view this super team as Armageddon.

Finally, there will be zero chemistry issues, not because of KD anyways. These guys have played together for the most part, and we're not talking about a brand new big-3 like Miami or Boston - KD is joining an already established big-3.

The whole situation is unprecedented, so we don't really know what to expect, but I'd be shocked if this team was anything less than amazing.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests