Bring Back David Lee?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

Starting Lineup
Posts: 708
» Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:22 am
Yo yo yoo


Bring back David Lee? Whatdya think?

2015 Warriors w/Lee --> NBA Champs

2016 Warriors w/o Lee --> Loss

:)


Think the lethal thing about the 2015 Warriors was they had the capability to play inside out (when Lee was on the court). If not Lee, I'd
like to see a low post presence so that we can play inside out again instead of outside everything live and die by the jumper. You can win
with small ball and no inside threat vs the avg and sucky teams, but you get exposed by teams like the Thunder with Adams and the Cavs with bully LeBron and Tristan.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1285
» Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:19 am
They really suffered without Lee's presence. I don't know how much playing time he would get though. Get Lee or Nowitiski and try to sign someone to replace Barnes.

Here is my Ideal lineup

Curry, Livingston
Klay, Barbosa
Durant, Iguodala
Green, Lee
Nowitski, Verajao
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1285
» Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:20 pm
Warriors could do some good by getting David Lee and Pau Gasol, even if it meant losing Ezeli and Speights. Would be interesting actually to see Lee and Gasol play together. Or Lee and Nowitski or Gasol and Nowitzki.

Curry- Livingston
Klay- Barbosa
Barnes- Iggy
Green- Lee
Bogut- Gasol
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1285
» Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:51 am
He said he's open and his heart is still here. For the minimum I say why not? He's already made good money and if he just wants to win, he'd be a good scorer down low. We needed him last year in the finals when we couldn't get an easy basket.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4031
» Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:24 pm
As far as value goes, I don't think we can do much better (outside what we already did with Zaza), that's considering the best we could do is a $2.9 mil MLE, but that's what the spotlight and chance to be on a/the GOAT team does - brings vets in.

For a player that has maybe one decent contract left in him, and who has always favored money above all else, this would give him the best chance to get PT on a semi-depleted bench, thus a chance at a decent contract to close out his career elsewhere.

He was courtside in the WCF...
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1285
» Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:08 pm
Lol just when you thought it couldn't get better, we got West. I still wouldn't mind Lee though, but it depends on what we do with our other players.

All Star
Posts: 2883
» Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:00 pm
Stairway Man wrote:Lol just when you thought it couldn't get better, we got West. I still wouldn't mind Lee though, but it depends on what we do with our other players.


West was an amazing pick up for this team.

Wow! This Warrior front office rocks.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2862
» Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:45 pm
What about Mike plumlee? I know he's restricted with the bucks but there not that many free agent centers out there, probably has the same offensive mojo as festus, and similar defensive skills. I think we should make a stab. We need as much bench talent as possible but Lee is really not what he used to be and offense is not the problem on this team. Defense defense defense!

Also just saw that friggin David west is joining?!?!?! Wtf why,how? Way better than Lee if yo u ask me.

Unrelated but any word on if Leandro is back next year?

All Star
Posts: 1210
» Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 pm
first off wrote:What about Mike plumlee? I know he's restricted with the bucks but there not that many free agent centers out there, probably has the same offensive mojo as festus, and similar defensive skills. I think we should make a stab. We need as much bench talent as possible but Lee is really not what he used to be and offense is not the problem on this team. Defense defense defense!

Also just saw that friggin David west is joining?!?!?! Wtf why,how? Way better than Lee if yo u ask me.

Unrelated but any word on if Leandro is back next year?


Theres only 3 roster spots left and all will have to be at minimum contracts so its doubtful that we will retain Barbosa, Speights, Rush or Clark.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22182
» Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:30 pm
They shouldn't have to be at minimum contracts as they were on the team last season. That's how teams get into the luxury tax, by getting free agents that weren't on their team and then resigning their current players, be it for about the same amount or much more. The team would still be at least ten million under the tax line after the deals they've given I think so it shouldn't be hard to resign at least three of the players that were on the team last season.

All Star
Posts: 1210
» Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:38 pm
migya wrote:They shouldn't have to be at minimum contracts as they were on the team last season. That's how teams get into the luxury tax, by getting free agents that weren't on their team and then resigning their current players, be it for about the same amount or much more. The team would still be at least ten million under the tax line after the deals they've given I think so it shouldn't be hard to resign at least three of the players that were on the team last season.


Not sure im following but i dont doubt you. heres what im seeing:

"Should all go as planned with Durant and center Zaza Pachulia, who agreed to a one-year, $2.9 million deal, when the NBA moratorium ends Thursday, the Warriors will have 11 players and will have to fill out the final few roster spots with minimum contracts."

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Warriors-agree-to-deal-with-David-West-seek-8341839.php

All Star
Posts: 2883
» Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:14 am
No to bringing back David Lee!

David Lee cannot defend the pick and roll.

David Lee cannot shoot either the three point shot nor sink the mid-range jumper.

David Lee does not hustle on defense and allows for opposing big men to beat him down the floor on the fast break.
User avatar

Site Admin
Posts: 4031
» Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:28 pm
uptempo wrote:No to bringing back David Lee!

David Lee cannot defend the pick and roll.

David Lee cannot shoot either the three point shot nor sink the mid-range jumper.

David Lee does not hustle on defense and allows for opposing big men to beat him down the floor on the fast break.

Let's look at this objectively - it's not like we're asking him to come back be start at the 4/5 and play 38 minutes every night. I'm not arguing against anything you said, but we're talking about a vet minimum contract - at that price, he'd have value even as an emergency big.

We're going to get our share of ring chasers like West, but it's not like a Zaza is going to fall in our laps year after year. Also, i don't watch much non-Warriors games, but Lee had a bigger impact against us than West did - who looked old and slow IMO.

Now regarding the cap/tax discussion, we all need to keep in mind the whole "repeat offender" penalties, and that just because ownership can go into the tax, doesn't mean they should. They know they're going to have to in the near future, so being able to get under it for even 1 or 2 years before going 4+ consecutive years can mean the difference between an extra $50 - $100+ mil in dead-money. Relavent post: viewtopic.php?p=14806155#p14806155

I know our ownership groups has some deep pockets, but paying 100% of your payroll in tax alone is how those pockets get shallow quickly. Remember this too: The CBA is designed so the players get about 50% of the profit, so you'd basically be handing over your share to the league (however they divide it).

We need to get used to the fact as a fanbase, that we're not swinging any remotely lucrative trades or many low-mid talent FAs for several seasons to come. The best we can hope for is vets chasing rings for practically free, players trying to prove to other teams they have value with the PT and spotlight we'll provide, or landing a contributing player in the draft here and there. Remember the revolving door in Miami? Well, that's us now.

All Star
Posts: 2883
» Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:16 pm
JREED wrote:
uptempo wrote:No to bringing back David Lee!

David Lee cannot defend the pick and roll.

David Lee cannot shoot either the three point shot nor sink the mid-range jumper.

David Lee does not hustle on defense and allows for opposing big men to beat him down the floor on the fast break.


Let's look at this objectively - it's not like we're asking him to come back be start at the 4/5 and play 38 minutes every night. I'm not arguing against anything you said, but we're talking about a vet minimum contract - at that price, he'd have value even as an emergency big.


JREED wrote:...but Lee had a bigger impact against us than West did - who looked old and slow IMO.


JREED wrote:We need to get used to the fact as a fanbase, that we're not swinging any remotely lucrative trades or many low-mid talent FAs for several seasons to come. The best we can hope for is vets chasing rings for practically free, players trying to prove to other teams they have value with the PT and spotlight we'll provide, or landing a contributing player in the draft here and there. Remember the revolving door in Miami? Well, that's us now.


Your analysis is spot on. The level of discourse on this board never ceases to impress me. Warrior fans really do understand basketball.

David Lee, even if he were to sign with this team for a minimum contract, brings to the team too many defensive liabilities.

James Michael McAdoo is a much better option, has upside, and would hustle on every play.

The image of David Lee not hustling back on defense and allowing for Blake Griffin to beat him down the floor for easy layups and dunks is still painful to think about.

All Star
Posts: 1210
» Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:25 pm
rockyBeli had the david lee thread posted first. thanks rockyBeli!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11975

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 19 guests