So what do the Warriors need to do Roster Wise?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:50 am
One of the benefits of losing the Championship is that now it's actually fun to speculate on what we need to do to improve or change our roster. Now because of how I feel about the NBA, I'm not going to be the same kind of fan anymore. I'm just gonna watch games for fun now time to time. I lost respect for the NBA. But anyways, we clearly showed that we rely too much on the 3 point shot. You live by the 3, you die by the 3. And that is what happened with us. When our 3 point shot isn't going in, we don't really have any guys that can attack the basket, post up, or get us extra free throws.

At times I even think we could have used David Lee. I really don't know how I feel about Harrison Barnes though. I'm not sure if he's ever going to get much better. He really disappeared and stunk lately. Would Nicholas Batum be an upgrade? I just feel we can do better. We need someone than isn't as timid to shoot the ball when he gets a shot. Isn't Nicholas Batum a great 3 point shooter? Of course if we could get Durant, that would be something that would be even better. And even though they say that's a long shot, I don't know Durant wouldn't want to come, now that we lost. It only makes sense.

How about Al Horford? Would he be a good player to play Center or share with Bogut? I'm thinking he would be, but the problem with Horford is that he's undersized and might not match up well with certain teams. However, he has become a good 3 point shooter, so he could probably be a good fit for small ball.

Role Player
» Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:54 am
1. A player that can attack the basket

Being a jump shooting team has its disadvantages. They were near the bottom of the league (23rd) when it comes to free throw attempts because of it. So when their 3 pointers aren't going down, they have someone to give the ball to that can break down a defense and get into the paint on a consistent basis. Player to target: Evan Turner. He's a guy that not going to shoot many 3s because he knows he's not a good 3 point shooter. He has a really nice mid-range game. He has the ball handling skills and he likes to attack the basket. Turner is also a solid defender and rebounder from the small forward spot. He's also another guy that can bring the ball up and get them into their offense freeing up Curry and Thompson.

2. A big man or men. Small ball works but not against teams with skilled bigs. Andrew Bogut is great when he's healthy as a rim protector, but at this point, he's unreliable. Thats not to say he's injury prone either. He's a tough guy that bangs in the paint, invites contact and guys like that tend to get banged up. Player to target: Hassan Whiteside. He's a big that will grab the hell out of rebounds and block plenty of shots. He's not going to demand the ball on offense.

3. Athleticism. If you look at this roster, they don't have an elite athlete. The closest player they have to being one is Andre Iguodala who is 32 and will be 33 next January. Curry, Thompson and Green are all below average athletes. Barnes is a decent one. Then you look at the bench with Livingston, Ezeli, Barbosa and Rush. None of those guys are great athletes. OKC and Cleveland both exposed the Warriors of that, who both have some top notch athletes on their rosters.. Player to target: Draft

4. Bench depth. People talk about the depth on this team, but when I look at it, I see inconsistency. You never know what you're going to get from any of the bench players whether its Barbosa, Livingston, Ezeli or Speights. Speights could go for 20 one night then 0 the next. They need a reliable scorer. Iguodala is no question their key bench player, but his offense is shaky at best. Player to target: Ryan Anderson. He's still only 28 years old. He's a great 3 point shooter and an underrated overall offensive player. He may not be a good defender, but neither is Speights or Ezeli. At least you get a person in there that can make some buckets. He's also an underrated rebounder. A poor man's Dirk Nowitzki.

All Star
» Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:01 pm
Just heard that the Warriors might also go after Dirk Nowitzki! That would be pretty cool to have Dirk! Him with Curry and Klay is an insane look. I do think the Warriors need another Splash Brother. Cuz when both of those guys shots are off, that spells some trouble.

Role Player
» Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:09 pm
I would much rather have Ryan Anderson than Dirk Nowitzki at this stage of his career and I think Anderson would be a tad cheaper. Nowitzki would probably command around $20M a year while Anderson would probably be had for $12M and their production isn't that far apart.

Ryan Anderson - 30.4 mpg - 17 ppg, 6 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.4 bpg, 0.6 spg, 42% fg, 36% from three.
Dirk Nowitzki - 31.5 mpg - 18.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.8 apg, 0.7 bpg, 0.7 spg, 44% fg, 36% from three.

Anderson is also 10 years younger. Both are great free throw shooters at nearly 90%. If they can get Kevin Durant as well as Ryan Anderson, then that could be the killer combination. Imagine a starting unit of Curry, Thompson, Durant, Green and Bogut and a bench unit of Livingston, Barbosa, Iguodala, Anderson and Varejao. Anderson could also be inserted as a center in a small ball line up which would be a nightmare on opposing defenses. The big knock on Anderson is his bad defense, but I've followed this guy since his days at my alma mater, Cal. He works hard on the defense. He's not a lazy defender like other bad defenders. He's very much like David Lee. Anderson may not win any defensive awards, but he's certainly not a horrible defender.

All Star
» Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 pm
Hmm. Never thought of it like that. Yea I'd take Ryan Anderson just for his age. Or maybe even Chandler Parsons? But I just think it would be fun to watch Dirk finish his career here. He's still pretty good. I like the roster moves you mentioned. I don't know about Verajao though, I don't think he really adds anything other than a filler. Barbosa really stepped up though when we needed him. As far as Speights, he really only does good when we're winning.

Curry, Livingston
Klay, Barbosa
Durant, Iguodala
Green, Anderson
Bogut, Verajao

Role Player
» Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:44 pm
Watching the last couple games of the Finals, it just seemed that Varejao was the only one that was hustling out there no matter what the score was. I like that in a player so its possible I'm just being partial. And the Warriors need bigs and there aren't a lot out there that would cost what Varejao would cost. He probably wouldn't cost more than $5M to re-sign while guys like Whiteside and Drummond would be looking at around $18-22M. Al Horford I'd guess would get around $15-$18M. I wouldn't want Dwight Howard at any price. Centers are still a rare commodity in the league.

All Star
» Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:59 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:Watching the last couple games of the Finals, it just seemed that Varejao was the only one that was hustling out there no matter what the score was. I like that in a player so its possible I'm just being partial. And the Warriors need bigs and there aren't a lot out there that would cost what Varejao would cost. He probably wouldn't cost more than $5M to re-sign while guys like Whiteside and Drummond would be looking at around $18-22M. Al Horford I'd guess would get around $15-$18M. I wouldn't want Dwight Howard at any price. Centers are still a rare commodity in the league.

That's true. At minimal cost, I don't mind keeping Verajao just as a filler. Because you do need guys that can bring it. Ezeli stopped hustling and I don't know what that's about. But he looked like he didn't belong on the floor. Same with Barnes. Something must have been going on internally with Barnes. Maybe he felt disrespected. But the fact is that both of them choked big. Barnes went 5 for 32 in the last 3 games and all his shots were pretty open. How do you do that? I probably could have done as good as him if I had those shots. He couldn't have done any worse.

Role Player
» Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:18 pm
I stopped being a fan and supporter of Barnes half way through the season. He just doesn't have that killer instinct or self confidence to try and take over a game even when the moment begs for it. That was a question mark while he was the #1 high school player. It was a problem when he was at North Carolina. Chances are, thats just who he is and I'm not sure you can fix an issue that stems as far back as his youth. Some people rise to the occasion and succeed. Some at least give it an attempt. Others rather sit back in the shadows and hopefully go unnoticed.
This was his chance to cash in big and he tanked. The Warriors offered him $16M a year last off season (4 years at $64M). I don't see that kind of offer being put on the table again from the Warriors. There will be a team willing to take a huge chance on him, but I just hope that the Warriors move on from him.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:52 am
I think the FO should go hard after Durant. He is obviously the most sought after player this offseason but would fit very well.

Another good fit at SF, if Durant can't be had, is someone like Batum, who apparently had a good season.

A backup Center is also an aim. I haven't checked free agents nut surely there has to be someone.

Ezeli isn't worth more than 12 million a year for no more than three years, he is unreliable. Better keeping Varajao at no more than 5 million a year.

Barnes is no more than a reasonable starter and a disappointment. He will probably get the 17 odd million a year he is after. He is easily replaced by a player that will take half that.

I'd resign the rest of them. I have read that apparently the salary cap could be higher than expected, so the FO will have options this offseason.

Role Player
» Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:24 am
I think the best place for Durant is OKC and that he'll re-sign for 1 year there to see what Westbrook does next year when he's a free agent. Durant has to be thinking of how close they got to the Finals. Another free agent here and there and with the improvement of Steven Adams, staying put would seem extremely attractive for KD. If they drop Morrow, which I suspect they will, they will have over $30M to spend on a free agent before they can come back and re-sign KD, but Clay Bennett hasn't been known to be a big spender and has never paid the luxury tax. If he signed a big time free agent, they will more than likely exceed the luxury tax signing KD.

All Star
» Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:28 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:I think the best place for Durant is OKC and that he'll re-sign for 1 year there to see what Westbrook does next year when he's a free agent. Durant has to be thinking of how close they got to the Finals. Another free agent here and there and with the improvement of Steven Adams, staying put would seem extremely attractive for KD. If they drop Morrow, which I suspect they will, they will have over $30M to spend on a free agent before they can come back and re-sign KD, but Clay Bennett hasn't been known to be a big spender and has never paid the luxury tax. If he signed a big time free agent, they will more than likely exceed the luxury tax signing KD.

Well the best place for Durant for basketball is still not OKC. Just because they came close to beating us doesn't mean that he's better off staying there because think about the other side of the coin. If he is no longer on OKC, then imagine how much better GSW will be than OKC.

Role Player
» Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:39 am
There is just so much that the Warriors would have to do in order to offer KD a maximum contract and trading Bogut for nothing would be one of them and I don't see them re-signing Ezeli if he commands too much money. The only center they'd have is a rookie in Damian Jones. They'd also have to renounce their rights to Livingston and a few other players. Basically, they'd be giving up what made them such a good team in the last two season which is depth. Their roster would stand as

PG Steph Curry / ?
SG Klay Thompson / ?
SF Kevin Durant / Andre Iguodala
PF Draymond Green / Kevon Looney
C Damian Jones / Jason Thompson

They can probably bring back Rush or Clark with the $2M in cap space that they'll have left and a mid-level exception (not a full exception). The depth is gone and they won't be able to bring back guys like Speights, Varejao, Barbosa or Livingston. I'd much rather have them re-sign those players to keep the core of this bench together and sign a free agent like Evan Turner.

All Star
» Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:20 pm
BayAreaHoopz wrote:There is just so much that the Warriors would have to do in order to offer KD a maximum contract and trading Bogut for nothing would be one of them and I don't see them re-signing Ezeli if he commands too much money. The only center they'd have is a rookie in Damian Jones. They'd also have to renounce their rights to Livingston and a few other players. Basically, they'd be giving up what made them such a good team in the last two season which is depth. Their roster would stand as

PG Steph Curry / ?
SG Klay Thompson / ?
SF Kevin Durant / Andre Iguodala
PF Draymond Green / Kevon Looney
C Damian Jones / Jason Thompson

They can probably bring back Rush or Clark with the $2M in cap space that they'll have left and a mid-level exception (not a full exception). The depth is gone and they won't be able to bring back guys like Speights, Varejao, Barbosa or Livingston. I'd much rather have them re-sign those players to keep the core of this bench together and sign a free agent like Evan Turner.

As of right now, I'm willing to get rid of the whole team for Durant as long as we also have Klay, Green, and Curry. And having Iguodala would be a bonus. You can build around a dream squad like that and I know they got some good drafts.

Role Player
» Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:36 pm
If they sign Durant, they will be over the cap, if not close. Next Summer, Curry will be a free agent, and he'll will be getting max money. With Durant and Curry re-signed, the number will run close to $100M next year with those two, Thompson, Looney, McCraw, Jones and Green. That would leave them about $8M to fill out the roster with at least 5 more players. Hmm...that might work.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:47 am
I had checked a couple of months ago and the team has everyone out of contract right now except Bogut, Iguodala, Curry, Klay, Draymond and Livingston. That amounted to about 70 million though I haven't rechecked since. The salary cap is likely to be at least 95 million, which would leave 25 millionabout what the max salary for a star like Durant is. If the cap is closer to 100 million, that would leave enough to sign Durant for the max definitely. The FO could then resign most if not all of the FAs who were signed on the team this season. I think Barnes is gone for the price he wants and so he should and hopefully he can be traded to a team for something, even a future 2nd rounder. I think resigning the guys who were on the team this season would amount to no more than 20 million, likely about 15 million. The team likely will be in the luxury tax but probably not by more than 5 million or thereabouts so it'd be another good offseason.