OFFICIAL Finals Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Site Admin
» Mon May 30, 2016 8:55 pm
Nearly watching, what would have been the greatest season of all time, nearly come to an end after falling 1-3 in the WCF. Our boys did everything necessary to rattle off 3 straigh wins, advancing to the Finals to face the Cleveland Cavaliers for the second straight season.

After losing Curey in rhe 1st series and many calling us done. So many doubters, so many haters, so many of us losing faith (myself included).

I didn't think it was possible to love a team as much as I do right now.

This is not the same Cavs team we played last season, and IMO for some bad and good reasons. Of course many think we're vulnerable after OKC pushed to to the brink, but I think it just makes is stronger.

Hall of Famer
» Tue May 31, 2016 1:53 am
This certainly isn't the same Cleveland team as last finals, they are healthy this time and that's the way it had to be, no doubts this time, at least for the negative talkers in the media.

It'll be a good matchup actually:
-Curry and Kyrie,
-Klay's production versus Lebron's,
-Whether Love will be a factor with Draymond likely defending him,
-Whether our bigs can, or if are allowed to by keeping them in, big a factor, which may be a possibility with Mozcov not being used as much this season,
-Whether Barnes shows up, since he might not even have to guard or be guarded by Lebron or anyone significant,
-Will Iguodala defend Lebron often again, likely so with the success he had last time. Will Iguodala be a factor in other ways as well, as he might go off in scoring one game at least,
-Will Draymond show up for the whole series, especially offensively with Love likely defending him. Draymond likely will see a fair amount of time guarding Lebron, with Iguodala, Barnes and Klay likely also.
-Will our depth be more significant than their role players, which are JR Smith, Shumpart, TThompson, Delly and Frye. Livingston, Ezeli and Speights could come up huge in their own way.

The matchups are there and so is the want to prove dounters on both sides.

If OKC had won I think the matchups actually would have been more interesting with Durant v Lebron and Westbrook v Kyrie, with similar role players on both teams. The Warriors do have more depth and talent than Cleveland but they did compared to OKC as well and it went seven.

Rookie
» Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:59 pm
Whats up Guys!

Was there ever a doubt that there would be a rematch lol.

Gotta say I was split 50/50 on who I wanted to come out of the West this year. I think we match up so much better against the Thunder and half of me wanted them to win, but the other half wanted to see a rematch. Of all years for Cleveland to break its curse it might just be fitting to do it against arguably the bets team of all time.

But I gotta say I don't really know who is going to win. Cavs have looked pretty damn good recently, albeit not against the toughest opponents and the Dubs have looked pretty human at times (something I didn't really see in the reg season from them). BUT the Dubs coming off that comeback win might just be riding too high for the Cavs to catch.

I know a lot of people will be looking at the stars and rightfully so, but I'm more interested in the role players. We know Bron, Kyrie, Steph and Klay are gonna get their's but will KLove and Green show up? Will TT be able to dominate the glass like last year? And as a Cavs fan I will be mostly looking at our x-factor IMO, JR Smith. He's been our best wing defender and one of our most reliable shooters (never thought I'd say that). Really interested to see what kind of a job he does on Klay considering he was able to limit Korver's outside shooting for most of the ATL series.

I've been back and forth between Cavs in 6, Warriors in 6, Cavs in 7, Warriors in 7.

We will see. A lot of very interesting matchups in this one as Migya pointed out.

Hall of Famer
» Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:10 pm
Predictions from everyone?

I think Warriors in 5.

Site Admin
» Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:52 pm
cavsFan11 wrote:Whats up Guys!

Was there ever a doubt that there would be a rematch lol.

Welcome back cavsFan! I'm particularly happy to see you back - especially since that means we advanced to the Finals! There was never a doubt you guys would be there.

Honestly, I don't know what to expect of this series. You're right, the Warriors looked human, more so they looked really bad, at times. We let too much distract us and get into our heads. Steph and Green in particular looked like pouty little kids at times when the officiating didn't go their way (not saying it didn't at times, but it wasn't an excuse).

I definitely don't think it's going to be as easy as many predict; Vegas having us as a 2-1 favorite is probably a bit much, but I'm glad they, unlike many fans, took into consideration that this is still potentially the GoAT team. I'd really like to see how they arrived at those odds.

I'm the most curious about how Cleveland approaches the series. I doubt they either start with, or stick with, the up and down 3-game, unless we're simply not making shots. I think at some point you guys will go to a slower paced, ball-control game, which almost worked last year. Like last year, the Warriors offense is fueled by the defense - taking that away or dominate the offensive boards is still the key to success.

For better, and for worse, this isn't the same Warriors team as last season; the players may be the same, but the play isn't - not for the better part of 48 minutes anyways. We're obviously better in general, but there's been several aspects to our play throughout the season that's given Dubs fans cause for concern...

Our defense can be even better than it was at any point last season, but it isn't nearly as consistent, nor as consistently good. Some of that could be due to the reigning champs always face the best their opponents have, and we obviously can flip that switch most often when we need to, but we have far more lapses than in the past.

The turnovers have been worse than ever. A lot of that is Curry playing off-ball and Green on-ball more, and you're always going to have turnovers when you play like we do, but they've been our biggest issue.

To beat us, you almost need to be the complete opposite of us, which is why I believe OKC was/is our toughest matchup. No disrespect to your Cavs, or even the Spurs, but the biggest strength we've shown all year is we just win games - no matter what the style, pace, or ugliness; we're capable of beating teams on their terms - and only a team that is capable of totally opposite game (one we can't play) can beat us. I do think the Cavs could be that team, but not if they come out challenging us to a track-meet and/or 3-pt shootout.

Site Admin
» Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:55 pm
migya wrote:Predictions from everyone?

I think Warriors in 5.

I'm far too superstitious to make any predictions, but I definitely think this series is going at least 6. You gotta figure Bron is gonna beast mode his way to at least 1 win by himself.

All Star
» Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:31 pm
JReed. It's either going to be 5 games or 7 games.

Starting Lineup
» Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:14 pm
I can't wait for this series to begin. Win or lose, the Warriors have had an unbelievable season. I think we will win in 7 games but it will be close. Go the Warriors!

Rookie
» Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:01 am
Well, I try not to overreact to one game but there's not a whole lot for us Cavs fans to be optimistic about. When you hold the opposition's two best players to a combined 20 points, and still lose by 15, you have issues.

This game went exactly the opposite of what I was expecting. Our defense matches up terribly with you guys so I was expecting you guys to score in bunches, but our defense actually held up OK (not great but we looked better than I thought we would). And I thought our offense would be able to score at a high level (which it obviously did not).

T-Lue is going to need to really think outside of the box to make this series competitive. Like you said JReed the only way to beat the Dubs is to play the exact opposite style (slow it down or the OKC athletic Bigs model) and currently we just don't have the personel for the later. For some reason our FO decided to try to mimick the GState small ball uptempo style which no one can do better than you guys. So our only chance might be to play at a snail's pace like last year and hope Bron either goes bonkers or that our shooters actually show up. Like I said I was really going to be watching JR because he has become almost as important to our team as KLove but he just didn't show up which I shouldn't really be surprised at considering its basically been the norm for his whole career to disappear when you need him most.

But anyways, looking forward to Lue's adjustments and to game two. Like they say...the series doesn't actually start until someone loses at home.

All Star
» Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:30 pm
Guys don't get fooled by one game. That's a lesson I have learned. The Spurs beat the Thunder by 30 points in the first game and smacked them around. Then OKC came back faster than you could imagine. Last year we beat Cleveland in the first game and they lost Irving, then beat us twice and went up 2 to 1. Last year we beat the Grizzlies by 20 plus in the first game and then the Grizzlies got a 2 to 1 lead very quickly. So I hope the players have learned their lesson. Game 2 is a must win.

Site Admin
» Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:11 pm
cavsFan11 wrote:T-Lue is going to need to really think outside of the box to make this series competitive. Like you said JReed the only way to beat the Dubs is to play the exact opposite style (slow it down or the OKC athletic Bigs model) and currently we just don't have the personel for the later. For some reason our FO decided to try to mimick the GState small ball uptempo style which no one can do better than you guys. So our only chance might be to play at a snail's pace like last year and hope Bron either goes bonkers or that our shooters actually show up. Like I said I was really going to be watching JR because he has become almost as important to our team as KLove but he just didn't show up which I shouldn't really be surprised at considering its basically been the norm for his whole career to disappear when you need him most.
I think you guys do have the personnel to play that OKC style, and LBJ is certainly capable of carrying the offense as KD and Westbrook did. I think Mozgov (I know he was having a bad season, but this team needs rim protection), TT, Love, LBJ, and Delly (more for D on Curry and I feel lile the ball moves better with him or James handling the point) could be a Dubs-killer lineup. The biggest problem I see with that is there's not enough time to make that big of an adjustment. Also, while that provides plenty of length and size, Love is still a liability defensively, but that'd be marginal if he's at the 3 guarding Barnes or Iggy.

Honestly, while there's a lot of chatter about how Steph and Klay won't shoot as bad, I expect the Cavs team defense to improve and not be so exaggerated - it was obvious the game plan was to make others beat them, the problem was that GSW knew it was coming and are too deep to cheat. Clearly TT is not a rim protector, so I'd be shocked to see him caught alone in the paint with a Warriors player coming at him full speed every other play. Also, I think Kyrie is still waiting for that help D in the post.

I expect Lue to go for broke and shake up the gameplan, and James won't let the Cavs go down easily.

Site Admin
» Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:14 pm
Stairway Man wrote:Guys don't get fooled by one game. That's a lesson I have learned. The Spurs beat the Thunder by 30 points in the first game and smacked them around. Then OKC came back faster than you could imagine. Last year we beat Cleveland in the first game and they lost Irving, then beat us twice and went up 2 to 1. Last year we beat the Grizzlies by 20 plus in the first game and then the Grizzlies got a 2 to 1 lead very quickly. So I hope the players have learned their lesson. Game 2 is a must win.
As i said last year, i think they're better off not starting Love against us, but I'm throwing Kyrie in there too now. We're too much of a nightmare matchup for that lineup. I'm not saying they shouldn't play, they definitely should, but just not as the main unit. They're both too big of defensive liabilities, and we have the personnel to guard them.

All Star
» Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:52 pm
JREED wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:Guys don't get fooled by one game. That's a lesson I have learned. The Spurs beat the Thunder by 30 points in the first game and smacked them around. Then OKC came back faster than you could imagine. Last year we beat Cleveland in the first game and they lost Irving, then beat us twice and went up 2 to 1. Last year we beat the Grizzlies by 20 plus in the first game and then the Grizzlies got a 2 to 1 lead very quickly. So I hope the players have learned their lesson. Game 2 is a must win.
As i said last year, i think they're better off not starting Love against us, but I'm throwing Kyrie in there too now. We're too much of a nightmare matchup for that lineup. I'm not saying they shouldn't play, they definitely should, but just not as the main unit. They're both too big of defensive liabilities, and we have the personnel to guard them.

Very nervous JReed. Every time the Warriors get content and think they are going to win, they lose a couple of games. Last year against Memphis and Cleveland. And lost the first 3 out of 4 against OKC. I hope they have learned their lesson. Game 2 is as important to the Warriors as the Cavaliers. Setting for 1-1 will not be ideal. Plus you know how the NBA loves longs series. Things tend to switch in the blink of an eye. Right now people are losing faith in the Cavs, but we've seen this story before. Look at the Raptors. They were embarrassed and then won 2 in a row.

Hall of Famer
» Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:48 am
The team, in order to win the series convincingly, needs to be better in a few facets than they were in Game 1.

Firstly, the rebounding was not up to scratch to me. The team is bigger and smarter than Cleveland and yet they got outrebounded. That really shouldn't happen and it has been deficient most of these playoffs as far as I have seen, though I haven't been analysing most games. With the size and length, with the likes of Bogut, Draymond, Ezeli, Speights and to a lesser extent Barnes, Iguodala and Livingston, the team should outrebound their opposition often and that definitely should happen against Cleveland. I think Ezeli has a chance in this series to show how his energy and athleticism, especially by rebounding and blocking shots, at least being a big factor defensively. He has the strength also and there is noone on the Cleveland team to match him, unless Mozcov is used and performs well. The bigs have to be more intense in approaching rebounding and should "destroy" Cleveland in rebounding, by more than ten a game I think.

The biggest defensive factor is slowing Lebron. To me, throwing different looks, players and double teams, not using the same strategy most of the time, is the best way to approach opposing him, all superstars in fact. I think Barnes, Klay, Draymond and Iguodala should all take turns defending him, all great defenders and all different to each other. Double teaming when Lebron gets down low is a good approach, as Lebron scores more close to the basket than anywhere else. Make him pass the ball, make someone else show they can make shots and even better yet, make Lebron shoot from about 20ft, not a three and not a high percentage shot, where he isn't in a position to rebound much either.

I think the team should attack TThompson at times, nice and early in the games as well. He is a very important player for Cleveland, providing rebounding, some defense and especially energy for them. I don't think he is that skilled and performs well due to his hustle and effort. Get him to take pressure, having to defend Bogut, if he is guarding him, and make him defend the rim by taking it to the basket hard at him. If TT fouls early and has to sit or is a bit psyched out, that's a big plus for the Warriors. I think the Centers for the team could really be a major factor in this finals series. Ezeli has to go hard inside offensively, he showed a bit against OKC inside and the Cavs have noone to defend him well. Speights in the opposite way can draw them out to three point range and the Cleveland bigs aren't used to that, at least haven't faced that to this level these playoffs.

I think the team can approach this series in more than the usual way, with the outside shooting and plenty of Curry and Klay. Cleveland is weak defensively, especially interior defense and the Warriors have to attack that, the bigs can be a factor. They can really take the series early here, to me like Chicago did in 1995-96 when they got up 3-0 against Seattle, and they should go for it because they've seen holes in Cleveland just with game 1.

All Star
» Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:47 am
I fear Game 2. I fear game 3 as well. Did you guys know that the Warriors are like 2 and 5 in game 3 the last 2 years? That's pretty disturbing. And we've lost some scary games in game 2 as well. Cavs beat us last year in Game 2 as well as the Grizzlies. That's amazing. A team like the Warriors has lost 7 games the last 2 years in games 2 and 3.

I just feel like it's a trap game. Whenever the media tells the Warriors that they've got in in the bag, then they get rattled and the series narrative changes. Last year Irving got hurt and the Cavs went on to win Games 2 and 3. The narrative went from the series is over in 4 or 5, to the Cavs might actually win, to the Cavs would have won if they had more help. That's what I fear. I never trust what everyone else is saying. The Warriors have to go out on the court and prove it.

Sure, Curry and Klay were off last game. But how scary would that be if both of them were on fire and we still lost? You have to sometimes look at the other side.